Insurance claim or fix it myself? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance claim or fix it myself?

r3r3r3

Edit: woops wrong button. Should have been posted to the insurance section

Hey all,

Seems someone was nice enough to back into my bike and several others this afternoon and took off. Broken foot peg, snapped mirror, most of the fairing clips are busted off, exhaust bent in and scratched to hell, etc., etc.

Based on the kickstand marks on the ground it looks like the 3 other bikes parked beside me all got sandwiched together and pushed 2 or so feet. Bike was upright when I got out of work but based on the scratches I'm guessing it fell on the right hand side. I left a little later so only 1 of the 3 bikes was still around.

Just doing a quick check and it looks like the OEM parts will be slightly more than my deductible if I want everything shiny again.

Is it worth trying to go through insurance or should I just buy the parts from Yamaha and fix it myself? Bike seems mechanically fine from what I can tell.

Here's the kicker - there was a paid duty cop literally sitting across the street all day.

Last edited:
That sucks. Since it's slightly over the deductible, why claim insurance ? The increase in rates is not going to be worth it. Sounds like the damage is mostly aesthetical in nature. Better to fix it yourself IMHO

Reactions: TK4
Take the hit - fix it yourself and save the hassle of dealing with insurance company.

I would pay out of pocket. If it's slightly more than your deductible, why put the claim in for an assumed small amount after your deductible, only to now have a claim on your insurance history?

Hmmm? I thought hit and run claims (properly documented) were not an at fault claim.

That being said, if it's close to your deductible might as well just bite the bullet.

Hmmm? I thought hit and run claims (properly documented) were not an at fault claim.

That being said, if it's close to your deductible might as well just bite the bullet.
I think in the absence of concrete evidence like a video of the incident, OP would still have to cough up the deductible and chances are insurance might assign 50% blame on him.

A friend experienced a parking lot hit n run. Absence of video and the word of his mechanic lead to a no fault claim, but he had to pay the deductible.

I think in the absence of concrete evidence like a video of the incident, OP would still have to cough up the deductible and chances are insurance might assign 50% blame on him.

A friend experienced a parking lot hit n run. Absence of video and the word of his mechanic lead to a no fault claim, but he had to pay the deductible.
I believe you need a police report as a minimum.

If you reported the incident there would be no deductible and no at fault claim registered against you - your insurance would just fix the bike. If you didn't report the accident, then you're best to fix it yourself.

Might better cancel the collision coverage and enjoy the small cost saving if you are paying for something that is impractical to use anyway. I'd be darned if I would be paying them any extra money just to pad their corporate profit margin.

Might better cancel the collision coverage and enjoy the small cost saving if you are paying for something that is impractical to use anyway. I'd be darned if I would be paying them any extra money just to pad their corporate profit margin.
Some insurers don't do comprehensive without collision I think

Thanks for the advice everyone. Pulled the fairings off last night and with a bit of macgyvering I think the clips can be salvaged. Somehow the plastics got squished enough to pop apart but none of them have any real scratching.

Rest of the parts are cheap enough to replace that its not worth getting insurance involved.

Still have no idea what really happened. I’m thinking someone backed into the row of bikes and pushed them at least 2 feet (based on the kickstand marks on the asphalt). I left later so I’m guessing when someone tried to get theirs out of the pile my bike then fell on its right-hand side.

What a pain in the ass. Gotta love Toronto drivers – how do you not see 4 brightly colored sport bikes behind you???

Thanks for the advice everyone. Pulled the fairings off last night and with a bit of macgyvering I think the clips can be salvaged. Somehow the plastics got squished enough to pop apart but none of them have any real scratching.

Rest of the parts are cheap enough to replace that its not worth getting insurance involved.

Still have no idea what really happened. I’m thinking someone backed into the row of bikes and pushed them at least 2 feet (based on the kickstand marks on the asphalt). I left later so I’m guessing when someone tried to get theirs out of the pile my bike then fell on its right-hand side.

What a pain in the ass. Gotta love Toronto drivers – how do you not see 4 brightly colored sport bikes behind you???
Really big truck trailer backing up poorly maybe, anything less then that is almost inexcusable hit and run.
... usually the safest place to park your motorcycle is in a place that you aren't allowed to park your motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom