illegal to mod your motorcycle into street fighter looks in toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

illegal to mod your motorcycle into street fighter looks in toronto

klau

Hi i am new here and i want to know if changing my looks into streetfighter or cafe racer looks is ilegal in toronto ?

I suppose it also depends on what it is and what it ends up looking like. While a bike can be legal some things done to vehicles are not much different than putting a "Ticket Me" sign on your back.

There is no requirement for bodywork, on a bike. You are required to have certain things, for safety, and you must have a "mudguard", in addition to the stated lighting requirements.

While it's nice to stand out, sometimes, the old adage that the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down also applies.

Might be more specific about what you mean by 'changing my looks into streetfighter'... that can mean a lot of different things depending on what you like, how much work you're doing, and what bike you're starting with.

Just removing fairings and throwing dominator lights on the front is absolutely fine, as long as the lights aren't like, obviously substandard. Personally I'm in favour of quality lighting for practical reasons and the legal aspect is just a bonus.

Fender reduction/elimination seems to go with the territory. Doesn't sound like many people get pulled over for it, I asked in another thread and very few posters had ever actually gotten hassled for it, but in theory you should have something that qualifies as a mudgard.

And no one's gonna complain if you paint it flat black. Certainly not me. ;)

The mudguard is generally in the, "Do you want fries with that?" range of tickets. If you get pulled over for something else, and show a generally bad or combative attitude, then you could ride away with several LEGITIMATE additional equipment tickets.

don't planning on changing the back, so the mudguard don't think will be the problem
and i am just taking front fairing off and change the front light, and i think that's it so it shouldn't be a problem then
and also does the light have to be DOT approve ?

wow, thanks rob, awesome link, now all i have to to is mod it with-in the requirements then i should be fine

I kinda hope I'm right in assuming that an aftermarket DOT headlight should probably be bright enough to not get a second glance unless I do something else stupid.

Is the mudguard the tire hugger or the rear fender?

-Jamie M.

Generally speak it would be the rear fender as the purpose of the hugger is to keep dirt off your bike, not out of the faces of those following you. There are exceptions, though, like some Buells for which the hugger is designed to perform both functions.

Generally speak it would be the rear fender as the purpose of the hugger is to keep dirt off your bike, not out of the faces of those following you. There are exceptions, though, like some Buells for which the hugger is designed to perform both functions.
Thanks for the clarification. I have neither still installed, but in case I needed to make repairs to get out of a ticket I would know which part to put back.

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom