How to test if water pump is running | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to test if water pump is running

Kuro

Site Supporter
I was stuck on the DVP in crawling traffic and I noticed a red light on my gauge. It was the temperature warning indicator. The bike was at 122 degrees C.

I immediately exited and as I gave it some speed, the air flow cooled the bike down quite significantly.

I replaced all coolant a few weeks ago and I havent seen any loss in fluid. I can try topping my rad up some more but it was already pretty full the last time,

I'm kind of guessing my water pump is not working, is there a way to test it to determine if its working?

TIA.

The fan is working cuz I can hear it blowing away like crazy

Did it do this before the coolant change? Did you let it run with the rad cap off after the change to purge any air?

I did let it purge the air, then I topped it up. Purge and top. -- but even then, the amount of air that could remain unpurged couldn't make the cooling that inefficient could it?

I didn't own the bike prior to changing the coolant. Once I bought the bike, I did all new maintenance on it.

FI Hondas, the big ones at least, don't like sitting still. My XX will get very hot very quickly if I'm sitting still or moving slowly. Keeping the RPM's slightly elevated (2k-ish) seems to help by pumping the coolant around faster.

So you're saying that the high running temperature at slow to still speeds is normal on higher CC Hondas?
My old 600RR would top out temperature-wise at around 108 degrees at a standstill.

Wouldn't revving it (even at 2k rpm) be equivalent to burning more fuel thus generating more heat?
What do you do in traffic jams?

Yep, it seems to be a common issue with the big sporty ones. At idle the pump isn't quite moving coolant fast enough to pull the heat off.
Revving slightly does two things: it increases coolant flow through the system and also keeps the alternator generating enough voltage to prevent the battery from going dead Due to the increased load of the constantly running fan (hey, it's happened to more than one Blackbird rider).
These things are designed for high speed and the rad is sized accordingly. Funny, the XX will quite happily run all day long at 200kph and sit at 80 degrees. At 20kph it will run up to 105 - 110.
If your red light was flashing you were very close to the bike shutting down.
I avoid it by staying out of town. It's not really a great city bike anyway.

Well that solves my problem ...kind of lol.
Thanks for your replies!

Sorry, not much help. You can try Water Wetter or Engine Ice, they help a bit but don't expect miracles.

Back
Top Bottom