How Does Ethanol Impact Fuel Efficiency? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Does Ethanol Impact Fuel Efficiency?

Do you ever really know how much water they are selling you at gasoline prices?
Water IS corrosive to your car internals and the article kinda missed that part.

great read. road and track was always known for writing great technical articles. (not to side track this thread, but another great read here on taking apart your NSX to do your own maintenance Is the New Acura NSX Simple to Maintain? )

never was a believer in ethanol and with the jump to 15 percent in 2022 will solidify my defiance. Yes it costs more, but I do believe its worth it for a number of reasons, only Shell 91 for all my vehicles and power equipment. I keep my vehicles as long as possible and believe paying a bit more for proper gas is worth it in the long term.

If i was leasing, that would be another story.. lol.

I have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption between the use of E10 and E0 in any normal non-flex-fuel gasoline engine vehicle. The theoretical difference of 3 percent is small enough to be buried in statistical noise, and on a modern vehicle with properly functioning fuel injection, it will automatically correct for the needed slight difference in air-fuel ratio. If there is a larger difference, there's something else going on.

I use Shell 91 (non-ethanol) in carbureted engines and in my race bike, and on the last fill-up before winter storage of the bikes. In other vehicles ... they don't care, so I don't care.

and on a modern vehicle with properly functioning fuel injection, it will automatically correct for the needed slight difference in air-fuel ratio. If there is a larger difference, there's something else going on.

I wish this were true. on my new vehicle, I was using shell 91. then for a few tankfuls switched to regular. The vehicle felt sluggish and laggy and definitely not as responsive. it was noticeable enough for me to switch back to premium.

Was it all in my head? a quick search on a forum with owners of the same vehicle reported the same results.

I wish this were true. on my new vehicle, I was using shell 91. then for a few tankfuls switched to regular. The vehicle felt sluggish and laggy and definitely not as responsive. it was noticeable enough for me to switch back to premium.

Was it all in my head? a quick search on a forum with owners of the same vehicle reported the same results.
Some people say my car gets a hp bump and runs better with ethanol free premium. I tried a few tanks and either my car or my butt dyno didnt notice any difference so I went back to regular.

I would love to have no ethanol fuel and E85 easily available. I doubt either will happen in canada anytime soon.

What's the vehicle (specifically, the engine) in which it made a difference? My own vehicles in which it doesn't make a difference include a couple of fuel-injected motorcycles, one with forced-induction, plus a Chrysler Pentastar V6 (which is a flex-fuel engine even though in the vehicle that I have it in, it isn't claimed as such), and a non-turbo Fiat MultiAir 1.4. The car and van engines don't require anything more than 87 octane.

Ford 3.5 eco

As stated. In my experience the differences couldn't be ignored.

Not saying this is the case in every engine, but certainly in this one

If you want to force a fuel change try putting the ECU into "learn" mode when you change fuels. Some electronics packages take FOREVER.

What's the vehicle (specifically, the engine) in which it made a difference? My own vehicles in which it doesn't make a difference include a couple of fuel-injected motorcycles, one with forced-induction, plus a Chrysler Pentastar V6 (which is a flex-fuel engine even though in the vehicle that I have it in, it isn't claimed as such), and a non-turbo Fiat MultiAir 1.4. The car and van engines don't require anything more than 87 octane.
I thought the 500 took a significant mileage hit on regular

I would notice a difference between E10 and ethanol-free 87 octane in my '99 Honda Civic, usually a 5-10% increase in mileage

Though these pumps are few and far between now other than marinas

lol if you drive a Ford Truck you better not care too much about the fuel economy, you better be driving it because you need a serious truck.

"Having a small (i.e. minute) amount of water in the gas tank is normal. All petroleum is going to contain a small amount of dissolved water in its composition. For E10 fuels, that's typically up to 0.5% by volume." <- price adjusted up at the pumps to compensate for temperature ;)

Probably open the doors for the feds to jam another tax

Back
Top Bottom