Hornet in my crankcase. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hornet in my crankcase.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Yeah, you read that right.

Getting ready to leave for the Cabot Trail tomorrow and I am checking my bike over today, inflating the tires, getting things loaded, checking the oil.

I find the oil low so I head into the garage and grab my funnel and jug. Stick funnel in. Pour oil. Stop pouring. Waiting for oil to stop dripping from funnel so I can pull it out.

Hornet flies into my face. I instinctively whack it.

Hornet flies into funnel, hits residual oil, flails about, and drops directly into the crankcase.

FFS. Hornet now swimming in crankcase.

I rush into the garage and retrieve my “grabber” tool and start fishing. The oil was warm so he didn’t last long and thankfully didn’t move far. Spent 10 minutes panicking and fishing (all while trying to hold me phone flashlight shining into the crank case so I could see what I’m doing ) before I finally successfully pick it out.

8E82AD99-5678-475D-8B41-918FFC8D8756.jpeg

Well, hopefully that’s the only drama on the trip. Departing tomorrow morning around 4:30ish to go straight through to Moncton nonstop.

reminds me of the time i dropped a metal washer from my replacement windshield during install, bounced off the edge of the air intake hole and down into the air box. that was fun.

Wasn't that a song by The Monks ?
Lol....that song broke new ground...and I think we now have a new expression/phrase representing being angry about something. C'mon GTAM, lets make it stick.

Getting ready to leave for the Cabot Trail tomorrow and I am checking my bike over today, inflating the tires, getting things loaded, checking the oil.

I find the oil low so I head into the garage and grab my funnel and jug. Stick funnel in. Pour oil. Stop pouring. Waiting for oil to stop dripping from funnel so I can pull it out.

Hornet flies into funnel, hits residual oil, flails about, and drops directly into the crankcase.

I rush into the garage and retrieve my “grabber” tool and start fishing. The oil was warm so he didn’t last long and thankfully didn’t move far. Spent 10 minutes panicking and fishing (all while trying to hold me phone flashlight shining into the crank case so I could see what I’m doing ) before I finally successfully pick it out.

View attachment 51608

Well, hopefully that’s the only drama on the trip. Departing tomorrow morning around 4:30ish to go straight through to Moncton nonstop.
Safe travels!!! Have fun.

View attachment 51608

I think you're very lucky you got it out.

Make sure you have the proper dress for this run, got some chilly days ahead of you

Planned to head out early today for a colour ride - it’s 4:30 and pouring rain. Back to bed.

I wonder if it would have been any problem to leave it in. Engine protien?

I wonder if it would have been any problem to leave it in. Engine protien?
I could see it breaking into pieces and partially blocking the pickup screen

Back
Top Bottom