Heated grips or winter gloves | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated grips or winter gloves

Simplesam

I have the budget for heated grips for my my 2018 MT 09 or some good winter gloves. I’d like to extend my riding into the cooler mornings and evenings. A little info on my commute, I’m in northern Ontario riding hw11 for about 45 min each way from Bracebridge to Burk’s Falls. Temps can be anywhere from 5c to 0c some nights/ mornings. Will a good pair of winter gloves do like Revit Livengood GTX or heated grips be better?

Gloves will be your best choice.Handguards would do a LOT to make life more comfortable if they could fit in the budget.

Will a good pair of winter gloves do like Revit Livengood GTX or heated grips be better?
I adore the Oxford heaterz grips. I also use winter gloves for -5c-5c range. I even use the heated grips around 5c with regular gloves. Best investment for cold days! They heat up fast!

I have guards on my DL650 and heated grips on my FJR. I find handguards and winter riding gloves work best. cutting the wind from your hands will keep them warm, the guards also keep them dry when the roads are wet.

I have Oxfords on my Duc.They are really awesome,but i also need the heated glove liners sometimes (i'm 66 yr old,sorry).:unsure:

I used to use just winter gloves. Didn't do as much as heated grips did. With some wind deflectors I ran with regular rain gloves(wasn't waterproof anymore but the layer inside cut the wind) well lower than with winter gloves. Winter gloves were bulky too and didn't give me as good a feel of the grips. Plus grips were always on the bike, so if out riding and it got cooler in the evenings, just turned em on. Also good for cool mornings and only taking one pair of thinner gloves for the warmer temps later in the day.

Any difference between oxford heated grips vs own Yamaha ones quality and filunctionality wise? Other than 125$ difference

Any difference between oxford heated grips vs own Yamaha ones quality and filunctionality wise? Other than 125$ difference
All I can say is the Yamaha grips lasted a year, my $15 ALI express replacement grips are starting season 6, they still work perfectly.

A good set of heated grips, had them on/or installed them on the last three of the five bikes I've owned. The last two bikes had OEM heated grips installed but their performance paled compared to the aftermarket ones I installed. Heated grips if installed correctly are available for use anytime they may be needed. They are not just for the spring and fall. There have been rides during the summer where it got a little chilly when the sun went down and the rain began. Logic suggests that the back of your hands would suffer since it is your palms are getting the heat. I haven't found that to be the case whether the bike was equipped with handguards or not. I've ridden when the temp was -5C on the superslab and the grips were up to the task. If you ride with more than one set of gloves it is possible that the heated gloves are left behind. Not so with grips which are always there and no cable to yank you back when you dismount and forget to disconnect the power cord. Heater controller electronics is pretty good. It is almost impossible to drain your battery. Controller reduces or shuts down output when voltage falls below a certain level. So if the battery gets drained it won't be from the grips.

I use these as 90% of the time I don't need them and if I sell a bike they're easily transferable to my new bike. I store them in a ziplock bag under my seat cowl. Install is very easy.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Any difference between oxford heated grips vs own Yamaha ones quality and functionality wise? Other than 125$ difference

the OEM grip heaters on that bike are controlled through the display cluster
Oxfords will have a separate switch...not that there's anything wrong with that
just ensure if you go for after-market they are wired up to turn off when you take the keys out

personally I don't like bulky gloves, it's a PITA for the switch gear
I like the hand guards to get the cold air off the backs of your hands
and a pair of water proof touring gloves work well
things that are water proof are usually also wind proof

My $20 grip heaters have lasted years and still going. Though the low setting doesn't work anymore, but never used it anyways. IIRC it's the switch though, so easy fix, just never bothered.

My $20 grip heaters have lasted years and still going. Though the low setting doesn't work anymore, but never used it anyways. IIRC it's the switch though, so easy fix, just never bothered.

what brand and where you buy? A cheaper alternative to oxford?

Both is best but I'd go with heated glove liners from First Gear.
Grips don't warm the back of your hands and the really warm gloves are bulky.

I have been happy with the First Gear 3D0 gloves
Men's Gear Gloves | Men's Gear | Premium Motorcycle Clothing & Gear For Men and Women | FirstGear-Usa.com

Quite flexible...I got the intermediate level ..they have a winter level. - I just add my heated liners as needed.
I often use summer gloves with the heated liners if it's not too cold

+1

While heated grips are nice they only warm the inside of your hands leaving the outside cold. If you really want warmth get heated gloves which will warm all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom