Heading to Timmins | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heading to Timmins

Mad Mike

Heading to Timmins Friday, anyone done the dirt highway between Capreol and Shining Tree? Deciding on that or 65 to 566.

Yeah I did it last year, about the midway point between capreol and shining tree there was a washout which requires crossing through water. Other than that, the road is mostly easy gravel, but there were a few rough spots and a fairly steep climb. What bike are you riding and do you have any offroad experience?

Yeah I did it last year, about the midway point between capreol and shining tree there was a washout which requires crossing through water. Other than that, the road is mostly easy gravel, but there were a few rough spots and a fairly steep climb. What bike are you riding and do you have any offroad experience?
I have a few bikes, planning to ride a DL650AX. I’m no stranger to dirt tracks, but will be solo.

You should be fine then. You can see how bad the washout is in post #4 in this thread: Anyone from the GTA area want to camp and ride? Capreol, Shining Tree...

Also, I remember there were a few forks in the road and it wasn't obvious which way to go, so make sure you have a GPS or a phone with Google Maps and the offline version of the maps saved to your phone as there is no cell signal.

Also, I saw a big black bear when I rode that road.

You should be fine then. You can see how bad the washout is in post #4 in this thread: Anyone from the GTA area want to camp and ride? Capreol, Shining Tree...

Also, I remember there were a few forks in the road and it wasn't obvious which way to go, so make sure you have a GPS or a phone with Google Maps and the offline version of the maps saved to your phone as there is no cell signal.

Hahahaha. I think I'd take the stream bed over the skids too. I never trust skids. Too often they break or have nails poking out.

What does the AX mean?
Laced wheels, beak, plastic lower fairing (decoration), hand guards, 12v power port, Metzler tires, Hepco/Becker bags and top case, SWMotec hardware for rear and side carriers.

That water crossing doesn’t scare me. I’d do it in 1st gear and tractor thru.

I enjoy water crossings. Sad that your bike got stuck. I normally walk over first to figure out the path of least resistance.

I am adding this route to my todo list. Thanks for sharing

I enjoy water crossings. Sad that your bike got stuck. I normally walk over first to figure out the path of least resistance.

I am adding this route to my todo list. Thanks for sharing
I walk water crossings before doing them too. Learned that after hydro locking my wife’s new Jeep when crossing a watercourse dammed by beavers.

nothing harder to look at than a rod thru the block of a 1 day old truck.

I walk water crossings before doing them too. Learned that after hydro locking my wife’s new Jeep when crossing a watercourse dammed by beavers.

nothing harder to look at than a rod thru the block of a 1 day old truck.
facking beavers. One dropped a tree on the inlaws cottage last week. I need to deal with that later this week. Stupid thing walked 100' away from the water and dropped a 40' birch so it is leaning against a deck and over the roof. If he took a closer tree, he would have had building materials and I wouldn't have to be on the roof with a chainsaw.

I like the jeep pics that were going around where the guy flat towed his brand new jeep in 4 lo/1st. There wasn't much left of that drivetrain. I really wish we knew how fast it was spinning when it let go. Theoretically, at highway speed, engine would be at something like 50K rpm but it obviously let go well before that.

Pic is engine upside down in engine bay, missing part of the block, crank and rotating assembly. Transmission sheared off too. Transfer case looked ok from the outside but it had to be hurt too as it definitely both over-revved and was over-loaded.

20210316-Jeep-Wrangler-Towing-Hero-1.jpg

h ttps://youtu.be/4szP5IyotFU

Last edited:
facking beavers. One dropped a tree on the inlaws cottage last week. I need to deal with that later this week. Stupid thing walked 100' away from the water and dropped a 40' birch so it is leaning against a deck and over the roof. If he took a closer tree, he would have had building materials and I wouldn't have to be on the roof with a chainsaw.

I like the jeep pics that were going around where the guy flat towed his brand new jeep in 4 lo/1st. There wasn't much left of that drivetrain. I really wish we knew how fast it was spinning when it let go. Theoretically, at highway speed, engine would be at something like 50K rpm but it obviously let go well before that.

Pic is engine upside down in engine bay, missing part of the block, crank and rotating assembly. Transmission sheared off too. Transfer case looked ok from the outside but it had to be hurt too as it definitely both over-revved and was over-loaded.

20210316-Jeep-Wrangler-Towing-Hero-1.jpg

h ttps://youtu.be/4szP5IyotFU
Ive done stupid stuff, blown up a few Jeep’s - wouldn’t know how to do that.

Mike, just got back 7 days of vagrant camping up there. Rode Sudbury to Capreol and then up to Timmins all by way of gravel. Combo of gravel roads, logging roads and sled trails. We did slide out to Shining Tree for beer and groceries and back to the gravel. For of us on KLRs.

NOTE - the Shining Tree LCBO is open on Sunday until 8pm. (this is a hamlet so small they would struggle to field a ball team)

Last edited:
Was planning that route too, but it started to pour at ValTherese on Friday afternoon so I diverted to 144. 3hours of cold and serious rain till it cleared up at the watershead south of Gogama. I didn’t see a single vehicle northbound.

Met some friends at Cache lake, after an hour drying out and shaking off some serious shivers by the fire I ended up getting into the sauce so I stayed the night in the bush.

CE1E2E63-8811-443A-BE8C-B141A8156A1A.jpeg

Did a little real estate shopping in Timmins (no luck) then headed back Sunday along Pine then 566 to Matachewan where it started raining hard. Over to 11 in the rain to Timiskiming shores then a stop for a late breakfast at Gilli’s, then the rain stopped.1630468225748.png

At North Bay it got scorching hot… so hot I cut off at Bracebridge to chill in Walmart (I love how cold Walmarts are in the summer). Then on to home thru the blazing heat.

Last edited:
I grew up in the Capreal/Hanmer area.
There are two pole lines going north. We would take our 4x4 trucks up the pole lines through the Capreal (Portelance rd.) and fish Burwash lake. From the Hanmer (Val Therese) pole line you can get to Shining tree/ West tree/ Timmins (our hunting partridge or speckle trout fishing route. Both these pole lines eventually go to Timmins.
Snowmobiling is also tons of fun but slightly different route. Just last winter we snowmobiled across Wanapitei lake, catch the north river trail and sled to Shining tree and back.

I grew up in the Capreal/Hanmer area.
There are two pole lines going north. We would take our 4x4 trucks up the pole lines through the Capreal (Portelance rd.) and fish Burwash lake. From the Hanmer (Val Therese) pole line you can get to Shining tree/ West tree/ Timmins (our hunting partridge or speckle trout fishing route. Both these pole lines eventually go to Timmins.
Snowmobiling is also tons of fun but slightly different route. Just last winter we snowmobiled across Wanapitei lake, catch the north river trail and sled to Shining tree and back.
I’ll be doing some sledding up there soon. Just picked up a killer deal on a small sled, hoping there’s snow when I’m there early December.
1633663066337.png

Back
Top Bottom