Hand Signals | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hand Signals

thedude

So I have been searching the forums for a comprehensive list of hand signals that riders use to communicate with each other/cagers but have not been able to find one, only one off examples of something someone has used, or the "Hand Signals RTI didn't teach you" posts.

What I'm looking for/trying to accomplish here is a list of all the common, and uncommon, hand signals that riders use to communicate with each other. If some veteran riders could weigh in here, I know it would really help all the new riders (like myself) get better acquainted with the riding community, and maybe more people on the same page, so 1 signal dosn't mean 2 things.

If we have more than one meaning for one signal, we can put it to a vote (if I can figure that out)

Usual bicycle signals for turning if your turn signals don't work or you don't know how to use them.
Tap on helmet/swirl finger in air - cop up ahead
Hand flat, held low, slight up and down motion - slow down
Middle finger - you did something stupid or, if straight behind you, stop tailgating me
Pointing down to the left/right with hand or foot - watch for obstacle (usually road kill, pot hole, or other road debris)

That's all I can recall at the moment. I've never really done any group riding so I don't know what they use.

I've seen these used. correct me if I'm wrong:
1 finger on top of helmet - single file formation
kick both feet out - road hazard(dirt, gravel, puddle, etc...)
closed fist on helmet - police up ahead(fist on respective side of helmet indicating position of popo
open palm from lower neck flung forward to chin with follow-through in direction of asswh0le - I think it's a tasteful EFF YOU!

Last edited:
Usual bicycle signals for turning if your turn signals don't work or you don't know how to use them.
Tap on helmet/swirl finger in air - cop up ahead
Hand flat, held low, slight up and down motion - slow down
Middle finger - you did something stupid or, if straight behind you, stop tailgating me
Pointing down to the left/right with hand or foot - watch for obstacle (usually road kill, pot hole, or other road debris)

That's all I can recall at the moment. I've never really done any group riding so I don't know what they use.

That's pretty much all of them that I see used all the time.
The single leg out for a second to the left or right when you want to indicate that you are changing tire track.
Anything else is just a figure-it-out-as-you-go signal.

Some people who often ride together have common signals between themselves to indicate things like "I have to pee really bad" or "I need to stretch my legs, let's sop for 5 minutes" etc...

Not much of a motorcycle sign but when leading a group ride I look back and use thumbs up a lot when I stop at lights, pull out of gas stations, etc., just to make sure that everyone behind me is alright and good to go. People usually respond with thumbs up, or up and down head nods.

For a gas stop I usually tap the tank in a visible way.

For a coffee break, make a drinking motion.

One sign I noticed people have a hard time comprehending is the "your signal light's on." And that is a common problem, especially with people new to bikes. They forgot that you have to switch it off manually.

Ok, so far we have a bit of a list going, hopefully we can add a little more to it though. Here is what I've been able to compile so far;

General Communication:
1) Left hand extended out + downwards with two fingers extended - Hello

Warnings/Be On Alert For
1a) Pointing down to the left/right with hand or foot - watch for obstacle/ bad road
1b) kick both feet out - road hazard(dirt, gravel, puddle, etc...)
2) Hand flat, held low, slight up and down motion - slow down
3a) Tap on helmet/swirl finger in air - cop up ahead
3b) closed fist on helmet - police up ahead (fist on respective side of helmet indicating position of police)
4) raise your left arm out while opening and closing your fist rapidly - your turn signal is on

Directions/Group Ride Communication:
1) 1 finger on top of helmet - single file formation
2) Single leg out for a second to the left/right - indicate that you want to/will be changing tire track
3) Tap the tank - I need gas
4) With your right or left arm extended, move your index finger in a circular motion - Leader wants group to start engines
5) Raise your left arm up and down with your index finger extended upward - indicates the leader wants to speed up
6) Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle and move your hand up and down - indicates the leader wants to slow down
7) Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle with the palm of your hand facing rearward - stop
8) Position your left hand over your helmet with your fingers extended upward - indicates the leader wants the group in a single file formation.
9) Extend your left arm upward at a 45 degree angle with your index and pinkie finger extended - indicates that it is safe to return to staggered
or side by side formation.
10) Raise your left arm and repeatedly move up and down in a pulling motion - indicates the leader wants the group to close ranks.

So this is what I've managed to complied so far. Tried to get it organized into categories, and some seem to fit in more than one. I'm hoping to get this into something that new riders can look at to understand what people are trying to tell them, so any feedback/contributions is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom