Gs500 owners. Can you message me | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gs500 owners. Can you message me

I'm not sure what a hanging throttle is. Can you explain what is happening?

EDIT: Never mind, asked a friend and he explained it. No I've never experienced this. Also, advised it can happen to any bike not properly maintained.

Would help if you could post the year of bike so people experienced with that year can help you.

Last edited:
1999 gs500 is the bike with the hanging throttle. i guess the best things to check are

1. set proper idle after warm
2. lube the throttle cable

any comments?

got this from answers.com, could be wrong though;

The throttle slides lift and drop from engine vacuum.
If the throttle slides are sticking, due to bad gas or worn out throttle bores, the slides will be slow to return - preventing the engine from slowing back down to idle.
The throttle slide diaphragms crack and tear from old age, leak and cause uneven engine vacuum between the cylinders and hang the RPMs up.
Carburetors out of synchronization will prevent the engine from returning to idle

Synchronize the carbs.
Remove the carbs and inspect them.

Check the idle adjustment screw on the side of the carburetor. It should have a plastic knob you can turn to lower the idle. If that's not it check your choke cable. Make sure its not binding or broken. Also check for an air leak after the carburetor, it could be leaning the mixture

Maybe post the issue in technical so you get some real help sooner:)

you are right, i will do that, but maybe i should just wait till spring, i already winterized the bike now.

Probably the diaphragms are shot. Common on older bikes. Hope you can source without paying the grand national debt.

well i will start with the simple stuff first and move up from there and hopefully the grand national debt is not required

Yeah, I've been getting that lately. It pretty much started when it started to get cold so I thought it was just the cold...

on a side note...

Any GS5ers want a K&N Hi-flow filter for Christmas or non-denominational holiday? Bought 2 by mistake. Msg me =D

Last edited:
This is a pretty commonly described problem over on the gstwins.com forum, go search for 'hanging idle' there. Causes seem to vary but it frequently seems to be an air leak.

have you ever experienced a hanging throttle on these bikes?

on my GF's GS500f, this would happen all the time...
after much frustration, the solution was that both exhaust valves were tight, to the point they were not closing fully, and getting the bike to idle correctly would be difficult.

While the exhaust valves were tight, setting the idle to anything reasonable was almost impossible. It was either too low and would stall occasionally, or would rev up to 3000 or 4000 and never come down.

fixed after a valve adjustment.

Yeah, I've been getting that lately. It pretty much started when it started to get cold so I thought it was just the cold...

on a side note...

Any GS5ers want a K&N Hi-flow filter for Christmas or non-denominational holiday? Bought 2 by mistake. Msg me =D

Have you looked into fixing it at all or are you just holding off till spring?

Could the carbs be icing up? With all this up and down weather, that could be an issue.

on my GF's GS500f, this would happen all the time...
after much frustration, the solution was that both exhaust valves were tight, to the point they were not closing fully, and getting the bike to idle correctly would be difficult.

While the exhaust valves were tight, setting the idle to anything reasonable was almost impossible. It was either too low and would stall occasionally, or would rev up to 3000 or 4000 and never come down.

fixed after a valve adjustment.

My idle comes down but a few seconds late

Back
Top Bottom