Green Liquid leaking out of radiator (CBR600 F4I) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Green Liquid leaking out of radiator (CBR600 F4I)

Hey all,

I have an 02 CBR600 F4I. I recently changed the fairings of my bike. Before I take off the old fairing I never had this issue. I put the new fairing on and I started the bike. After like 5 minutes, I noticed a green liquid (Could be anti-freeze?) leaking from the top of the radiator. I'm really surprised and anxious since I didn't even do anything. My questions are, 1- what could be the cause? (Note: I didn't turn on the bike for the past 2-3 weeks). 2-Is it safe to ride it to the shop with the leak?

Any help is appreciated....

Thanks,

Kevin

it is antifreeze

not safe to ride

you sure you didn't knock/turn/loosen anything? check everything that is connected to the rad for tightness.

it is antifreeze

not safe to ride

you sure you didn't knock/turn/loosen anything? check everything that is connected to the rad for tightness.

+1

Sounds like you may have accidentally messed with the rad cap (right side of bike by air duct)... make sure it is turned all the way to the right until it "bottoms" out.

why do u automatically say "NOT SAFE TO RIDE"

if its a very small leak, u can get it to your local shop as long as you monitor your temps very closely....

Thanks for the response guys. I took the fairings off and checked the cap and the hose. Everything was tight. I turned on the bike and now MAGICALLY it does not leak anymore. WTF??!

Depending on how quickly it is leaking, you could run into traction issues. If it drops a puddle at a light and then you take off it gets all over your rear tire. It's better to track the leak down as it sits now. If you don't know where it is coming from, it could be something like a loose hose that pops completely off while you are moving. Once you know where the leak is, how bad it is and the likelihood that it will get worse, then decide whether to drive to the shop to get some help fixing it.

As others have said, that is coolant (anti-freeze). Where exactly on the "top of the radiator" was it leaking from? The cap? A hole? One of the fins near the top of the rad?

Basically for some reason the sealed coolant system has leaked some coolant.

The person above that wrote "not safe to ride" is just being cautious (and perhaps correct) - if you don't know why it's leaking (and specifically how much) I wouldn't ride it.

You say it has "magically" fixed itself... that is unlikely.

If it was my bike, I would do the following:

• Remove fairings
  • Remove rad cap (make sure bike is cold first... rad cap gets hot and is pressurized).
  • Check coolant level. It should be right up to the top of the rad to just where the rad cap screws on. If the coolant level is not this high, top up with coolant (premixed or a 50/50 mix of coolant and deionized water). If coolant level is adequate, or after refilling coolant, replace rad cap.
  • Run bike to operating temperature (~100 Celsius, 210 Fahrenheit), while observing cooling system (radiator and hoses) for leaks, liquid, white-ish smoke (caused by coolant being leaked and burned off hot engine parts)
If it leaked/burned coolant then you have a coolant leak and you should have an idea of where it came from.

If it ran fine then you're good to go. Note that if you did have to add coolant to the rad, that you may have a small leak somewhere or an otherwise unnoticed leak, and you should keep an eye on the coolant level to be certain.

Brian

EDIT: Let me explain the logic behind these steps. I have a hunch it doesn't leak coolant anymore because the leak is near the top of the rad, and since your bike already leaked some coolant it is no longer being forced through the hole due to the lower coolant level. Topping up (or ensuring you have adequate) coolant will troubleshoot this for you. When you run the bike afterwards, it will either begin leaking again (indicating a leak in the rad near the top), some other problem will occur regarding coolant which will let you know where the leak is, or it will run fine. As I said earlier, the system is pressurized, which is why you need to run the bike to it's maximum operating temperature to see if the entire system can contain the pressure. It is no good to fix (or diagnose) a coolant leak when the bike is at 60 Celsius - the pressure is less than when the bike is at 100 Celsuis. And I don't think you really want to discover "Ahhh damn, I really DO have a coolant leak!" while sitting in rush hour traffic on the DVP when your bike does finally hit 100.

Last edited:
Thanks for your informative response. I'll make sure I'll check that out.

why do u automatically say "NOT SAFE TO RIDE"

if its a very small leak, u can get it to your local shop as long as you monitor your temps very closely....

You are joking, surely. :confused1: The OP did not even know what the liquid was, how could he judge what would happen and when?

By the time your temp goes up, you are already sliding down the road. I don't have to tell you how bad that feels...

the fact that you checked everything and made sure its all tight could be what made the cap and clamps really tight. So you might have fixed it.

When u started the bike up the first time and it started leaking how long was the bike sitting there running. was it left on choke too long? was the it in high rev? just asking cause i left my bike to worm on choke and took a phone call in the mean time....came back and antfreeze was everywhere. i did the bone head thing of over warming the bike which boiled over the antfreeze.

note: when antifreeze is boiling over its not a leak its like a waterfall of liquid.

if not that prob just the rad cap that u touched not noticing it.:p

If you let it idle too long (since you didn't ride for 2-3 weeks) it could be coolant overflowing from the resevior. It happens when you leave it too long. Bikes aren't good at sitting still, another excuse to fight for lane-splitting :p

My bike doesn't have a choke. It's an 02 CBR600 F4i. My bike was sitting for about a month before I turned it on for the first time and after like 5 minutes it started leaking. Well I don't see any more leaks . . . I'll let it idle for a couple of minitues tonight as well, see how she does!!

To be clear, it doesn't matter how long it was sitting between start-ups, it's about how long it sits in idle before take off... I think you know that just wanted to be clear. All the best.

Hi guys!
Thank you for all the useful advice.
I thought I had a problem and antifreeze fluid that i did not have enough, so I opened the radiator cap, but surprise, it was full.
I put the cap radiator, but I did not close until the end. After that it started leaking like a fountain.
Then I found your topic and I stop worry.

Back
Top Bottom