Going to ride again after knee replacement....... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Going to ride again after knee replacement.......

kbbroiler

Hey guys. In November of 2017 I had a total knee replacement. I had stopped riding because of safety concerns because my leg could bend 90 degrees at best and that was me forcing it. So I didn't read last year because it takes a year and a few months to recover. I'm pretty much recovered now but wondering if anyone has had the same surgery as I had my right knee done and rode afterwards. I'm in pretty good shape as I workout regularly and I'm turning 48 in a few weeks.

Thanks,

K.B

By all means if your physio, says you are good to go. Maybe just try to test out, how things will go if suddenly, you have to drop your foot and support a tipping bike??

Congrats on the recovery, that's not easy and requires a lot of willpower.

Do you ride track or street?

Just curious how you managed to get a knee replacement at 48. My boss hobbles around on a knee that's been absolutely wrecked and OHIP won't pay for a replacement because he's too 'young'. He just turned 60.

Just curious how you managed to get a knee replacement at 48. My boss hobbles around on a knee that's been absolutely wrecked and OHIP won't pay for a replacement because he's too 'young'. He just turned 60.

Similar for my wife although she's a bit older. Another thing is how long does a replacement last.

I thought there was a concern that one could only do the operation a few times and if R&R was started too soon in life one ran out of options.

OP got his at 46 YO, only now turning 48

I have had both knees replaced, no issues with riding. Although I worked my knees at the hospital, I had 120 degrees bend 3 days after surgery.
other than a weird feeling after surgery the way the knees work, all is good. By the way no such thing as to young, I had mine done at 51, best thing ever.
I was riding 4 months after my replacements. They last around 15 years

............ Another thing is how long does a replacement last............

It really depends on the type of implant used. There are many variables and no one here is going to be able to give you a 100% reliable estimate. There are many types of implants out there, cemented, hybrid or non cemented. Your physician is supposed to look at the age of the patient and their level of activity to determine the appropriate type of implant to be used. Typically, non cemented is the most expensive and most durable, but has the longest life for an active patient. The implant might last 10 - 15 years before needing to be redone.

It's all going to depend on you and your individual circumstances. How much damage has been done, how well the surgery went, how well you healed after, how much strength/range of motion you got back, residual pain, weight/height of the bike etc.

Back in the very early 2000's I rode with a guy in his late 50's who had had both hips and both knees replaced and he did fantastic. He went from tossing me a $5 to go get him a coffee because he was in too much pain to get off the bike when we stopped to being able to hop on and off (slowly) with no pain. I also knew another guy who after his first knee replacement couldn't ride because the damage the opposite knee took while compensating for his bad one was so bad that he was then waiting for the other knee to be replaced. He never rode again.

I hope you heal well and ride as much as you want to!

if you decide to fall off, fall on the original knee not the new one. No warranty on those.

You must feel great after almost 1.5 years. I am assuming you feel no more pain and while I didn’t have a knee replacement I had a total hip replaced mid February this year and have been out today. Still have limited strength.

Back
Top Bottom