Gearing for Shannonville Pro track | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gearing for Shannonville Pro track

No one is going to be able to give you an exact answer to your question. Too many variables.
Bike setup, engine setup, your weight, track day or race, riding style, air temperature . . .
This is something you'll probably need to work out for yourself. Pick a starting point, ride, decide if a gearing change can improve something, will it hurt you somewhere else. Chances are that even stock gearing is fine if you haven't learned the track, you'll improve more with practice than gearing will do for you.

That being said, have a look at the track layout. What gear do you want to be in at the slowest corners? What engine speed? Then compare to the longest straight, what speed do you expect? what gear will you be in? what engine speed? Check out gearingcommander.com. Use all this data and see if you can find a starting point that works for you. Ride.

No one is going to be able to give you an exact answer to your question. Too many variables.
Bike setup, engine setup, your weight, track day or race, riding style, air temperature . . .
This is something you'll probably need to work out for yourself. Pick a starting point, ride, decide if a gearing change can improve something, will it hurt you somewhere else. Chances are that even stock gearing is fine if you haven't learned the track, you'll improve more with practice than gearing will do for you.

That being said, have a look at the track layout. What gear do you want to be in at the slowest corners? What engine speed? Then compare to the longest straight, what speed do you expect? what gear will you be in? what engine speed? Check out gearingcommander.com. Use all this data and see if you can find a starting point that works for you. Ride.

Maybe it would help if Alex had mentioned that he is a csbk pro racer. Fast pace - perhaps looking for starting point gearing for shanny pro?

Last edited:

I definitely can't argue with nicely developed answer has yours is VFR ;)
I do have good pace (not as good as I'd like it to be in the last few years) but just looking for the starting point.
I'm geared from New Jersey and can't remember for the life of me what Shannon Pro track is.

David (bakaboy)... PM replied. Thnx buddy ;)

With my previous race bike (of 23 years), I used the same gearing for all Shannonville configurations (it's mostly determined by what happens at the end of the back straight, the only configuration not using that straight is Nelson which is so short I don't get past 4th gear anyhow), and I presume the original poster has been to Shannonville before. So is it a not-done-Pro-track (in which case just use the same gearing as any other Shannonville config) or is it a new-to-him bike?

I have a new-to-me bike to figure out this coming weekend. I'm taking a guess at 10% shorter than stock final drive ratio and bringing other sprockets with me. My previous race bike, the ratio I used was around 11% shorter than stock, which is where that educated guess came from.

With my previous race bike (of 23 years), I used the same gearing for all Shannonville configurations (it's mostly determined by what happens at the end of the back straight, the only configuration not using that straight is Nelson which is so short I don't get past 4th gear anyhow), and I presume the original poster has been to Shannonville before. So is it a not-done-Pro-track (in which case just use the same gearing as any other Shannonville config) or is it a new-to-him bike?

I have a new-to-me bike to figure out this coming weekend. I'm taking a guess at 10% shorter than stock final drive ratio and bringing other sprockets with me. My previous race bike, the ratio I used was around 11% shorter than stock, which is where that educated guess came from.
I have been... but don't remember the gearing I used in 2011.
And last year, my ZX6R '13 had so many problems, that gearing wasn't even remotely close to an issue to me.
Engine is figured out and hoping to get the suspension dialed in better with in the first day of riding it (St-Eustache in 2 weeks)

Back
Top Bottom