Gear to get - What to avoid and what to look for. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear to get - What to avoid and what to look for.

junior

Hi guys,

I just grabbed my first bike and the common theme I get from riders is "Don't cheap out on gear". I plan on getting gloves, helmet, jacket and shoes or boots. I'm riding a CBR F4i (don't rip me for starting so big). Are there any particular brands or features I should look for or specifically avoid?

the usual stuff.

get boots with good ankle support
leather is better than textile for jackets
make sure your helmet is both DOT and SNELL/ECE rated (cheaper helmets I've seen only have DOT)

Try to get gloves with hard, armored patches, and a jacket with padding.

If you do get a separate jacket (or only start out with a jacket), try to find one with a fairly standard zipper so you can zip in pants.

Personally, I have textile stuff. I haven't had to find out yet (knock on wood), but it feels like it should be crash-worthy. But it's hot on hot days - I've heard leather is actually cooler and breathes much better. Also, if you think you'll hit the track, you need full leathers.

I'd say that if your budget is limited, I'd feel more comfortable in a full textile set than in a leather jacket and standard jeans.

For helmets, there's a British government site that rates the crash safety of a helmet. Look up your make/model there: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/. You can see that the lowest-end HJC, for instance (the CS-R1, which is only DOT approved and sells for $100ish) does horribly.

I bought a $500 fxr leather jacket on clearance from royal last year for like $200. Other than the crappy zippers it's been great so far! Oh.. And the fact that I look like a power ranger on a dirtbike! :p I'd go with leather.. It may be a bit heavier but I'd rather deal with a bit of extra heat/weight than having to scrape myself off the road with a spatula. I've got some good cordura riding pants as well.. I would have bought leathers but was strapped for cash at the time. Opt for something with good padding and you won't regret it. Oh and don't buy power skin boots.. They're absolute garbage.

Do people think it's squid-ish to wear a textile jacket (with some sort of internal plastic plates, it's an Alpine Stars jacket but I don't recall the model name) and half-helmet while commuting in the city (i.e, on 50-60 kmh roads). I do have some nice Cortech gloves, but have a feeling a lot of riders here might not be impressed by my jacket or helmet.

I can definitely see the wisdom in heavier gear on the highways, but personally I really haven't done much highway riding yet - among other things, I would want to get more gear before I do.

To be honest though, I haven't really felt terribly threatened while wearing the gear that I do in the city.

A lot of modern textiles are great, I just personally trust leather a bit more. I'd say as long as you're wearing some of protective gear, and not riding like an asshat, you're no squid in my books.

Maybe a spine protector to go in the back of your jacket. If you look around you can probably find one for around $40+ or so. Had a friend slide into a curb at a nice speed. They were out of the hospital in a day after being checked over but the doctor told them they would probably be paralyzed or at least in a world of hurt without it. Would rather spend the money and have it be a waste then spend my health and have it be a regret. It might be a hassle, but is also a lot easier to change shirt and replace water lost through sweating than it is to regrow skin in my opinion but that might be just me.

Abrasion resistance: leather > textile > mesh
Impact protection: armour > no armour
Coolness: mesh > textile > leather
Keeping you warm (fall, winter, spring): leather > textile > mesh

Do not wear jeans as they will shred quickly. Crashes at lower speeds such as 60kph can still be serious. Wear your gear at all speeds. Pants and especially knee protection is very important. So are gloves. Knees and hands are the first things you usually extend out land on.

The problem I've experienced with textile vs leather is with respect to body armour. If the armour is attached to the jacket, I am almost sure it will shift if/when going down with a textile (I find textile is just a generally looser fit). The armour is less likely to shift in a leather jacket.

I suppose this point is nullified if you use separate armour that you put on directly, i.e. not attached to the jacket.

i got a brand new armoured corsa leather jacket, the bawls one, for 250 on this forum. that guys loss was my gain, i think those jackets retail at like 600 or 700, i find u'll often bump into good deals on the forums too, if its used i wud suggest you do NOT buy it, but if its been purchased and reselling as brand new cuz the kids mom caught him before he could start riding, then your in luck my friend!

Thanks for the advice guys. The helmet link is great. Now I know I don't have to get a crazy expensive helmet to get good protection

From my crashing experiences, the most important bits are the helmet, the gloves, and the boots. When it comes to leathers and textiles, they'll all do the job... the difference will usually be whether you get to reuse the gear after the crash or if you have to toss it in the garbage.

For the helmet, just make sure its a good fit... good ventilation, good visor mechanism, quietness, removable liners, etc are all luxuries and nice bonuses, but fit is #1 for protection.

For boots, make sure the ankle support is stiff. If the boot bends at the ankle too easily, you risk breaking or twisting them in a crash. Been there, done that. IMO Daytona and Dainese boots are the best in the biz.

For gloves, longer is better. Don't use "summer" wrist-length textile gloves, get full length gauntlet types that fit snug and won't fall off when you crash.

Back
Top Bottom