For those who have decals on their bikes...Please help. | GTAMotorcycle.com

For those who have decals on their bikes...Please help.

MattR

So I'm in the decal part of my track bike and I'm wondering whether or not to clear coat the body and then put all my stickers/decals on, or if I should put all my stickers on and then clear the body. The body shop is waiting to clear the body so any prompt responses to this would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Track bike. Decals on top of the clear. If you go down and repair work has to be done. It is a absolute
Nightmare To fix.

Even on a street bike I do not recommend it.
If you ever want to change colors it sucks for the painter to try and dig those decals out of the clear
Which translates to more money to do the job

I have had on one occasion, that the clue on the decal had a very negative response to
Harsh chemicals in the clear

Just something to think about

Forget the clear coat, completely. Stickers over the paint. It's easy to replace a torn-up sticker, which helps to cover any necessary repairs.

Think of it from a racer's perspective. Sponsors change. Bodywork occasionally (or frequently) requires repair. It's easier to make a bike look good, quicker, if you can easily swap out damaged stickers.

Forget the clear coat, completely. Stickers over the paint. It's easy to replace a torn-up sticker, which helps to cover any necessary repairs.

Think of it from a racer's perspective. Sponsors change. Bodywork occasionally (or frequently) requires repair. It's easier to make a bike look good, quicker, if you can easily swap out damaged stickers.

Clear may be required. With the paint system he is using.
I'm assuming it a base / clear system. Where a clear is required.

On my track bike I used a single stage paint system where clear is not required.
And is easier to fix if I go down on it.
Plus it us significantly cheaper than a two stage base/clear system

Clear may be required. With the paint system he is using.
I'm assuming it a base / clear system. Where a clear is required.

On my track bike I used a single stage paint system where clear is not required.
And is easier to fix if I go down on it.
Plus it us significantly cheaper than a two stage base/clear system

That was kinda my point. I just said it more succinctly ;)

A bunch of mine were put on before the clearcoat and then I added a few more later. It really makes no difference except for the amount of shine.... :):)

Thanks for all the responses guys. Yes, it is a track bike. And it already has a clear coat on it. Ding all the bodywork and most of the painting myself Its amazing how much I've learned. I've especially learned how to do it the more expensive way ;)

Anyway, I was thinking along those lines, that if/when I down the bike, it would be easy to repair/replace a messed up sticker if it was on top of everything.

Thanks for all the help guys. I must say though. I love the look of it all nice and shiny. Let's see how long I can keep it that way :p

Back
Top Bottom