First track bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

First track bike

atss2006

I made the mistake of going to the dragon this year. I discovered running the twisties is a lot of fun. Too much fun in fact. The roads around here sucked when I got back. I decided I wanted to try the track. Having a great big BMW R1150RTP is great for long rides. It even handled the dragon and various runs in the area really well. A track bike, it will never be. So jumping in with both feet I decided to get a track only bike. I started reading the forums and tried some bikes during demo days. Low and behold I come across what seems like a stupid good deal. 98 Ducati 944, safety wired and is a track only bike. Has some minor upgrades. So I jumped in both feet. She's now sitting in my garage being stared at with dreams of racing around the track.
I'm planning on taking the FAST 1 and 2 next year. I figure I will need some training for sure. I'm hoping I didnt get into too deep of water going with the 944. I'd like to get into some races next year, if I find I'm catching on enough in the course. My thinking with the 944 is that I would fit into the SOAR lost era in the hwt group. Being 6'3 with a **** back and iffy knees the larger bike, fit way better than the 600's (or the sv).
Now the fun part. Learning about tires...suspension setup..upgrades..tire warmers, track timers...etc, etc, etc! ARGH It's going to feel like a LOOONG winter this year...

Here's my new toy
ST2.jpg

Congrats on the new ride! The Lost Era classes at SOAR have some great racing, come out and play!

congrats on the new ride!, once you go to track riding, the street is never the same as you found with the gap. If you loved the gap, lets face it, it is fun, the track is the same fun but without speed limits, cops, debris, cruisers and cars running wide, and an ambulance on standby. Plus a much closer drive. Hope you can find a decent supply of parts!

Smergy. Theres one of the questions that have been bugging me. What spares should I get my hands on ahead of time/ for days at the track/racing? Obviously if I dump the bike I'll have repairs to make but I'm just thinking, the most common things to have on hand. I'm looking at getting an extra set of rims, but after that I'm in the dark.

I'm currently looking for my first track bike as well, but I'm going to stick with a 600...
That bike looks really nice, congrats on the purchase.

Levers, clipon tubes, throttle tube, foot pegs/brackets are probably the cheaper and most likely to be used spares. I'm still fairly new as well but I'm sure that a more exerienced racer will chime in soon. Nice bike too!

Sorry, I'm confused...what the heck is that thing? The 944 dsplacement is usually a kit applied to the air-cooled 900 cc 2-V motors, but that frame is from a suberbike (or ST?), none of which where 900 cc AFAIK. What exactly have you got there?? Very curious.

EDIT: Oh hey, wait, that's an ST2, right? Never seen one of those set up for the track before. Interesting!

Last edited:
Great eye yellow duc (did the 944 give it away).
I was kinda confused looking into it too! Its an st2 with some slight mods and with an 851 body. st2 gives me a longer riding position (better for a bad back and taller rider). I doubt I'll break any speed records but from what I've seen and been told it should be good turns..****** in the straights. Its heavier than the newer bikes but with my BMW I'm used to the weight.

Well, if you haven't already, you need to sign up over at ducati.ms. Absolute best source of advice for Ducati bikes other than Monsters (ducatimonster.org is better for those). Ducati.ms has an ST-specific forum, and also lots of folks with experience tracking ducs of all description.

I expect you'll have a ball with that thing. I'll be happy to drag you down the straight at TMP next season...

Errmm..Yellowduck, I prefer to say I'll be drafting behind you..no mater how far behind.
Thanks for the advice on the sites, I'll check them out. I don't think I'll be doing too many upgrades. The bike is way ahead of my riding skills right now. I can't wait to take the track courses..

Oh wow, sweet looking bike:) Great idea in doing the course. Hope to see you next year on the track.

Really, I have no idea how they handle but on paper it sounds like a great track bike. Not much more powerful than an SV650 (that's a good thing) but a hell of a lot sexier. In my first year of track riding I have learned that a big twin can be quite flattering to a novice rider on a tight track.

Only downside might be the cost of crash repairs. Are there frame sliders on it? Not seeing any.

No sliders but that's high in my list of to gets. Thanks for letting me how slow she'll be. Now I have an excuse for being slow. As long as I look fast all will be good. I figure once I have some experience under my belt I'll look to upgrade and get some scary speed.

Sweet looking bike and welcome to 'Track Riding'....
Fork sliders, frame sliders, bar end sliders, and swing arm sliders are all a must have.
Change aout the rad fluid and ensure you run watter wetter
Looking, looking, looking nope, I dont see a DOCC sticker anywhere ;)

Welcome to our world of track days and Ducs.As Webb70 said,get yourself hooked up with the DOCC.Had me fooled to with the 944.My track tool is a 944 as well.But is a kitted 900.You should have a lot of fun with it.Not trying to pick on your bike,so just a bit of advice.Be very wary of your ground clearance!That exhaust looks very low as it is set up.You might be able to raise the rear shock height,but that would mean swapping out the shock for an adjustable one and then the front end would need to be dealt with equally.It might be just fine as it is.Depends how hard you push it.The single most important thing to spend money on is tires.Fresh and new is sticky and safe.And don't forget to store it properly.Don't want to freeze that coolant.And one last tip.If that is a vented clutch cover i see,get rid of it and put an oem or if you can find one a solid billet cover on.A minor right side lowside will destroy a very expensive clutch in a heartbeat.Feel free to ask for any help.

Last edited:
Hey I only got the bike last weekend. The docc stickers will take some time to get here. Lol
Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.
I've been warned about the exhaust from another st2 tracker. Told me to learn to get off the bike in the turns. Can't wait for those course dates next year.
Bike has water in now so I've got to get som antifreeze in her. I'm looking forward to getting the plastics off and snooping around.

Back
Top Bottom