First time on main road | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time on main road

Wose

so today I rode on a main road for the first time and it was super nerve racking. I was scared of stalling especially while making left turns, forgot to turn off turn signals, hitting the horn instead of turn signals, braking was a lil choppy. But the most annoying was probably forgetting what gear I'm in all the time

I also never really understood why people would upgrade from lower cc bikes so fast, but after riding a 125 on the road I can see why having more power would be more helpful. I found myself constantly shifting just to get up to the speed of traffic, and then having to kick all the way down again for a stop. I can only imagine the power a 600 is gonna have.

just wanted to share my first experience =)

It's fun riding, isn't it? hehe, it'll get easier as you ride more. I am a new rider myself and did my first 2000 km in DT heavy traffic before hopping on the highway. Keep on practicing clutch work, throttle control and engine breaking. Get to a quiet area and work on quickening your shiftings. Don't be afraid to give it gas as you get comfortable with the speed.

Imho, don't upgrade till you work out the kinks with all the basics. There are a lot of riders with small cc bikes and have no trouble keeping up with traffic.

wait till you get on the highway for the first time, sooo funn. I'm a new rider too, just put 500km on my new bike. I wasn't as nervous as you though and try not to over think what gear you're in. Lol I never count what gear I'm in, just need to downshift all the way to first when I'm coming to a stop.

ya highway sounds fun but no way am i doing it on a cbr125, just doing the limit north on mccowan/steeles was challenging enough today :S

New rider here was well. Only been riding for about 2 weeks. My very first day of riding, straight on the highway to go to Rosey Toes.

I'm on the north Brimley area if you ever wanna ride. Just PM.

Take your time!
It took me a while to get on the highway too. After i broke my bike in I started hammering it for higher speeds. the cbr 125 loves higer revs, so don't be afraid to push it to 10k rpm.

I can hit about 100 kph in 4th gear and sustain 120 on the highway depending on the wind. Usually take the 401/dvp to work and back everyday. I've been told I can hit 130 if I'm more aggressive, I don't have the guts yet lol.

I would recommend taking a good look at the weather every time you head out for the highway - especially the winds. Our not-so-heavy bikes feels like a bloody kite in 20+ kph winds.

I'm just as new as you - almost 3k km's and counting hehe.

@rideitlikeyoustoleit ya man im pretty much in that area as well

@Biorouge definitely agree with the kite thing, just go a bit faster and it feels like the wind is making me swerve a bit. It rattles my helmet a little bit too, perhaps i should consider going a size smaller on my scorpion :S, i try not to rev too high, bike tends to vibrate abit if i do lol

Thank you for sharing your first experience. I, too, just had my first right ever on 'real' streets on Wednesday. I practised in an empty parking lot for about 20 minutes before hitting the streets. I drove a CBR125 in my course, but my bike is a Shadow 600 VLX, so i also had to learn the friction points, the forward controls, the weight, etc....

All turned out okay. I find myself looking down at my lights every few minutes to make sure my blinkers are not still on. I'm sure you'll develope those same rituals. If you have a Blackberry, come join out group!

M2%20Crew_barcode.jpg

You're always welcome to cruise with us if you like!

D.R.

I'm new too, started taking the Bayview extension this week to start prepping for the DVP. This is week two of riding my first motorcycle, 2006 SV650 Naked (which happens to be an amazing starter bike). Took the course on a cbr125 and have driven a scooter for a couple years previously. Starting lower in cc's will teach you to be a better driver. Surviving on a 50cc scooter has been amazing prep for me lol. My issue is learning to downshift properly and smoothly. It'll come though!

lol.

The nervousness, and clumsy handling of your controls, will pass. Practice makes perfect. Once your nerves calm down, and you lose the "death grip" on your handle-bars, you'll actually start to enjoy this. :)

First highway ride will be nerve rattling - but you'll overcome that too.

My first highway ride, was on a "back" highway between Kitchener and Maryhill. Got passed by at least two large semis...and it felt like they (and I) were rocketing down that highway, but really...I was just trying to keep it up at 80kms (the speed limit) - which is probably why they were passing me. lol.

Don't forget to practice shifting to the reserve tank, if you have one.
There's nothing quite like gliding to a halt with traffic zooming by as to try to flip the lever, and get the bike restarted.

Back
Top Bottom