First accident | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First accident

The bikes just wanted a nap. :)

That corner was deceptively steep and ugly, a car that stopped to help was spinning its tires when it started moving.
True, but that's not an extraordinary maneuver. The key thing here is 2 middle-aged heavy cruiser riders drove their rides into insurance land. The kids on the sportbikes didn't. This is in-line with the crashed bikes I see at auction, but not with insurance rates I see. I'll bet those grey haired gents paid less than 1/2 what the kid on the little Ducati paid in insurance.

Well nobody needs to say anything but hopefully you understand that is how the insurance system actually works! Insurance rates are based on pay-outs, the more claims that are made against motorcycles the higher everybody's motorcycle insurance goes up to cover their costs. There is no up side for motorcycle riders when a motorcycle accident happens to another riders motorcycle or your own, it's bad news for all of us.

The don't worry about it part is because that is what insurance is for and so you should not feel badly about making a claim when you need to. It has also provided a bunch of employment and sales in the motorcycle industry along with generation of additional tax dollars.

Best luck finding a new ride, ride lots once you get one which is hopefully soon, have tons of fun and be safe as possible, because that is what riding motorcycles is all about (y)

Hey I’m sorry man, I took that the wrong way, thought you were being sarcastic.

I know the insurance companies are here to help us, but I totally regret being a part of that statistic. It was unfortunate. I’m just glad no one got hurt but me.

I just bought a 2013 Boulevard M50 today. Got insurance for it for the same price as my last one, because they can’t raise my rates mid-term.

I’m gonna be super safe and will make sure I pay attention to detail. I will go and get my full “M” class license soon.

Rev ON

Hone your skills (y) the key to surviving street is to be a good motorcycle rider, then you will feel safer and be safer riding on roads. Get some saddle time on some stupid little dirt bike if you possibly can, do all your crashing in the dirt, then you won't be crashing on the hardtop because it will feel almost too easy to ride.

Then maybe you can explain to us why a (supersport) motorcycle, easily identified by its vastly superior suspension brakes tires and overall handling makes a rider with a longtime safe riding history a high risk :unsure:

Trials I was implying I was an employee of the bank and not the insurance company. To be honest I get you. I want to be able to afford a supersport as well but as long we have these kind of insurance rates it seems to be out of reach. Although, if you really want to find out give them a call and let us know. I would be intrigued to know their answer.

Then maybe you can explain to us why a (supersport) motorcycle, easily identified by its vastly superior suspension brakes tires and overall handling makes a rider with a longtime safe riding history a high risk :unsure:

I think the insurance company logic is that having a super-sport bike and not opening opening the throttle would be like going to a strip joint and not opening your eyes.

I think the insurance company logic is that having a super-sport bike and not opening opening the throttle would be like going to a strip joint and not opening your eyes.
Nailed it.

Wow :I can't remember the last time I was in a strip joint, do they still exist?
lol ... same girls or new ones?

I respectfully disagree with that logic. Opening the throttle on big displacement nakeds is equally dangerous, if not more. They're torque monsters and can easily hit 150kmph+ in the blink of an eye. Doesn't make sense for SSs to be charged a premium but not nakeds.

This outcome is somewhat tragic. Sped read through most of it, but such a shame insurance was involved in the first place. OP likely could have paid a grand or two to fix it up and be done with (especially after seeing those pics – bike looked great). Second mistake was not inquiring about purchasing the bike back from the insurance company since it was the bike he still wanted and two years newer than the one he ended up repurchasing in the end. I made a claim with similar payout numbers – got almost $7K for the bike as a write-off and then bought it back from the insurance company for $600. From my experience, I got the impression that insurance co's are happy to sell the bike back to you for a rock bottom price, so most times it would likely make more sense to buy the bike back if it isn't too damaged (and not branded) and either continue to ride it, or sell it on your own to make some profit. In this case, had the bike been bought back at a low price, paid another 1-2k to fix the bike, the OP would have likely been left with a few thousand to help offset his raised insurance premiums over the next few years.

All water under the bridge now, but what a shame...

I respectfully disagree with that logic. Opening the throttle on big displacement nakeds is equally dangerous, if not more. They're torque monsters and can easily hit 150kmph+ in the blink of an eye. Doesn't make sense for SSs to be charged a premium but not nakeds.
People haven't been crashing or stealing them forever...yet.

Back
Top Bottom