Filtering: It's this simple | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filtering: It's this simple

Did I say the "you admitted to lane splitting"? If so please feel free to post it. I stated your position, (which I will refresh your memory, in the event you forgot).
You posted the following:

Stuff like this is unavoidable without filtering

That position is unsupportable. IF getting rear ended were unavoidable without filtering then how is that hundreds of thousands of riders in Canada and the USA, seem to be able to ride every day without being rear ended? In most cases people look in their rear view mirror, and IF a vehicle is bearing down on them, they use their escape route to avoid being hit. You stated in the same post "how are you to know if that car is going to stop, or hit you?" I am not sure how you wouldn't know. If I am watching a vehicle approaching from the rear it is pretty clear, if the vehicle begins to slow or not, I highly doubt that I possess supernatural powers that allow me to notice, that this is the case.

Perhaps us "seasoned riders" simply have LEARNED, proper lane positioning, INCLUDING leaving an escape route, and that is why we have escaped, being in the hospital as you suggest we would. Perhaps, you would be better served learning these skills rather than attempting to use the MINUSCULE chance of being rear ended, as an excuse, to break the law, by filtering.

Perhaps now you can enlighten us "seasoned riders" on the virtues of loud pipes...GMAFB

As such your position is unsupportable.

[/QUOTE]
Are you off your meds? I never admitted to lane splitting and my post was countering at the people saying "O well this would never happen if you looked at your mirrors at a stop light". If any of you "seasoned" riders were in the same position as the guy in the video, you would be in the hospital

That could help.

You could also leave more space.

You could stop in a position that gives you an out.

You could also leave your bike in gear and be prepared to move off rapidly, if, when watching your mirrors while stopped, you see you're about to get hit. That could happen if you're behind another car, or with no cars in front of you at all.

They teach all of those nifty things at motorcycle safety courses. Ever taken one of those? Some of it's even in the MTO handbook, actually.
That could help.

You could also leave more space.

You could stop in a position that gives you an out.

You could also leave your bike in gear and be prepared to move off rapidly, if, when watching your mirrors while stopped, you see you're about to get hit. That could happen if you're behind another car, or with no cars in front of you at all.

They teach all of those nifty things at motorcycle safety courses. Ever taken one of those? Some of it's even in the MTO handbook, actually.
I have practiced this for 30+ years. I’ve avoided being hit from behind a only twice that I remember.

Do I still do it every time I stop because I never want to know what it’s like to be hit from behind.

A more obvious and safer option would be coming to a stop on or near the edges of the lane so any car not stopping would most likely end up rear ending the car in front of you. But I'll take your advice and keep my eyes glued to my mirrors at a stop, hopefully I got some ninja reflexes that I haven't discovered yet

I'm confused as to why it has to be one or the other? Why not give yourself ththe best opportunity to survive? I always sit off to the side of the lane and not right up on a bumper. I also constantly check my mirrors and when I see a car approaching I stay glued to the mirror, just in case.

i would say splitting is when traffic is not moving and filtering is when you move through traffic in motion, but i've seen it used both ways.
You've got it backwards. Filtering is between stopped traffic to the front of the line at traffic lights(common in many places in Europe). Lane splitting is between moving traffic lanes(LA freeways).

Back
Top Bottom