Fender eliminator enforcement? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fender eliminator enforcement?

Installed fender eliminator on Sunday got pulled over monday for an 'Insurance Check'. No ticket for fender eliminator it was a Werkes eliminator.

What are you talking about? Most new vehicles and motorcycles come with LED tails now. They are brighter and come on faster then regular bulbs. They even come as DRL on some cars... and soon you will see them as headlights.

True. BUT. There is a world of difference between the good-quality OEM-style LED's that are specifically designed to conform to the various motor vehicle safety standards, and the cheapskate aftermarket ones that not only don't carry DOT nor ECE approval nor even make a remote attempt to conform to the standards.

There ARE some aftermarket LED's that are decent, but the vast majority are not.

You can buy lighted LED license plate bulbs. You can buy DOT-approved red reflectors at Canadian Tire, and with a little bit of improvising, you can mount one of those near your license plate to satisfy the requirement for a DOT-marked rear reflector. I prefer to keep rear turn signals stock, including the stock bulbs and legit DOT-marked lens. The mudguard thing is a tough one to get around, since the HTA's requirement is extremely vague and it could be argued that most original equipment mudguards don't actually meet the requirement that the HTA sets out for them.

I was going to get a fender eliminator for my bike until I saw my friend's bike after he rode with his eliminator in the rain.....I'm not a fan of big mud stripes down my back and all over my bike.

What ABOUT the brake light? They are the two vertical stripes.

I think his point was that an 18 wheeler would put the driver higher than your tail and make it difficult for him to see your brake light from that height

I got pulled over once for my fender eliminator. Cop ran the attitude test on me and I passed but warned that a ticket could be given if he was having a bad day.

When I went on my trip, I had to put the stock fender back on since my saddlebags blocked the view of my license plate. Same thing with my turn signals. Nothing to worry about now.

Back
Top Bottom