Elora to Cabot Trail, NS | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elora to Cabot Trail, NS

Vroom

Friends and I are leaving near end of June for 2 week ride around Bay of Fundy, Cabot trail in Cape Breton, NS then mabey ferry out to PEI and bridge back- should be fun and a lot of pictures to take! Actually leaving on the 16th of June, hopefully miss the tourist crunch! Dropping into states around Cornwall and go across NY,VT, NH & Maine to New Brunswick. and continue on from there!:cool:

Last edited:
Weather should be good by end of June.
We did that trip a few years ago and left June 1st.
BIG Mistake weather was terrible 12 days on the road and rain gear on and needed for 9.
It is great country enjoy!
Kim

Great area to go whale watching in Meat Cove on the NE part of the Cabot Trail but careful of accommodations after July long weekend and onward - often booked up

Cabot Trail! Did that last summer!!! ENJOY and do it counter clockwise. That way you'll be in the lane next to the water and the cliffs. Best view. Oh and watch for the 18 wheelers. The ones that are used to the trail do it at faster than should speeds to help them get up the mountains.

I've ridden the Cabot Trail twice, and I will go back again and again. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth! If you ride the trail counter clockwise you stay on the outside lane most of the trail= better views. Also, if you ride it that way, when you get to "Neil's Harbor Pond" look for a sign that says "New Haven Rd" and hang a right. This takes you off the main trail, but it lets you see some of the most beautiful views of the coast while avoiding the interior part of the northern tip of the trail. New Haven Rd will meet up with North Point rd. Turn left and you will follow the coast and again see some of the most beautiful coast on the trail which most never get to see. Turn right on North Point rd and you can ride up to where the road ends at the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Look to the west and you can see the coast for miles!

It isn't a long detour, but well worth it. It was all paved too, which is nice. Some of the best pics of our whole trip last year were taken on North Point rd. Google map it and you can see for yourself.

Have a great ride!

Excellent trip. If time permits I would also suggest riding the Gaspe Peninsula, it has some competing views and roads to the Cabot, Gaspe itself was also a fun little town to spend the night. Me and a couple friends did the trip a couple of years ago, Gaspe, PEI, then Cabot, down to Halifax across Bay of Fundy and back through the states, the White and Green mountains, there are some amazing roads through the mountains in the US.

Highway 17 in Vermont, goes through Camels Hump National Forrest, this was one of the best stretches of road I experience on my entire trip, hairpins major elevation changes, good pavement, amazingly we caught zero traffic on this section, and it also didn’t hurt that I was on some fresh Michelin Pilot Powers :)
Highway 112 through the White Mountain National Forrest, not as good as 17 but a beautiful ride, some nice twisties there too, a little more relaxed than 17. If you can string these two sections together during your ride through the states you won’t be disappointed.

I’ll say it like everyone else, counterclockwise and reservations are a must on Cabot in the summer, if you find yourself stranded Cheticamp has a nice Laundromat which wasn't locked, it was dry and warm, haha.

I'm planning on doing Hamilton - Cape Breton for weeks 2&3 in July. I have family in Cape Breton; if any of you have recommendations for places to stay on the way down (American route) or any other advice, please shoot me a PM! This is my first big trip, so I want to pack smart, and I'm also planning 3-4 days each way for travel time. Not looking to set a record; I'm hoping to enjoy every mile I can.

Back
Top Bottom