ECE Helmets Track Legal? Race Legal? Ontario? Canada? US? | GTAMotorcycle.com

ECE Helmets Track Legal? Race Legal? Ontario? Canada? US?

dualheadlamps

I have a shiny new Shoei helmet in the mail. I picked it specifically because everywhere I skimmed rules and regulations for track days and schools they always mentioned they wanted SNELL certification. I'm considering sending it back.

I am regretting my purchase as I really wanted another lid, but it's only ECE certified and not SNELL.

I have read enough on the topic between the two certifications that I know ECE will protect me just fine.

However, I want to get on the track at trackdays, and compete at race events without having issues.

I've read many posts indicating it depends on the organizer/inspector. And that helmets are rarely inspected, and you could probably get away with ECE.

But I'd like to not have to deal with the hassle, and not have to buy a lid twice.

Has current ECE standards finally been accepted in Ontario at track days and race organizations? In Canada? The US?

I've searched and found no concrete information, just dated "probably can get away with it" posts.

Thank you in advance for any input.

ECE 22.05 helmets are explicitly allowed at SOAR, VRRA, and CSBK. There is a restriction that the helmet cannot be more than 5 or 6 years old ... this is the bit that varies.

Rulebook see clause 3d

CSBK - Mopar CSBK - Canadian Superbike Championship click on "Competitors" then "Rulebook" see clause 10A

http://vrra.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/VRRA-Rules-February-2020-Final.pdf see clause 3a

Don't know about track days but generally what's good for racing should be fine for track days unless the organiser doesn't know what they are doing.

For US situations, check with the organiser's rule book. Historically, the problem in the US with an ECE-only helmet that isn't DOT is that their legal requirements for street legality generally only accept DOT.

I see. Looks like I'm taking a hit on shipping and exchange rate fees, the Shoei is going back. Sigh...

I'll print myself out a DOT sticker for the back of my helmet for when I ride on the street in the US. No joke, that's the plan. I was mainly referring to their track days though.

The USA Shoei sale prices got to me, oh and the graphic I wanted was discontinued, so it was a now or never type deal.

Thanks a lot for your input Brian. Part of me hoped I was right and didn't have to deal with sending back the Shoei and lose some money. But in the end I'll end up with a better helmet. Lesson learned.

Bank account fail.

Thread success.

Bang for buck, it just isn't worth it, and is very dated compared to the lid I wanted.

It was an RF-1200 Dystopia graphic, vs an AGV K6. I was actually initially holding out for an X-FOURTEEN but when the RF-1200 went on sale I had a hard time justifying the price gap. When I then started considering the RF-1200 I then started considering the K6.

Main thing is glasses compatability. I wear prescription glasses and knew going into it glasses fitment was going to be a compromise with Shoei's very perticularly narrow and fixed glasses arm channel cut-out.

The AGV K6 doesn't have that issue, is lighter, quieter, smaller, made of significantly better materials, safer (ECE), and is better looking overall in my opinion. Yeah it's made in China vs Japan, but I'm sure AGV has got their quality control down pat.

I still sort of want to keep the RF-1200 for the Dystopia graphic, but that's just me being childish. Was never a fan of graphic helmets and I never understood it, till I saw that damn one.

Last edited:
Snell 2020 and a new ECE 22.06 (?) standard is coming.
You're going to find a lot of old stock helmets being blown own over the next few months.

Bang for buck, it just isn't worth it, and is very dated compared to the lid I wanted.

It was an RF-1200 Dystopia graphic, vs an AGV K6. I was actually initially holding out for an X-FOURTEEN but when the RF-1200 went on sale I had a hard time justifying the price gap. When I then started considering the RF-1200 I then started considering the K6.

Main thing is glasses compatability. I wear prescription glasses and knew going into it glasses fitment was going to be a compromise with Shoei's very perticularly narrow and fixed glasses arm channel cut-out.

The AGV K6 doesn't have that issue, is lighter, quieter, smaller, made of significantly better materials, safer (ECE), and is better looking overall in my opinion. Yeah it's made in China vs Japan, but I'm sure AGV has got their quality control down pat.

I still sort of want to keep the RF-1200 for the Dystopia graphic, but that's just me being childish. Was never a fan of graphic helmets and I never understood it, till I saw that damn one.
Bought a K6 recently, very much in love with it.

motorcycle-helmet-certification-old-school-helmet-testing.jpg

"The ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) standard, R 22.05, is the European version of the DOT standard, though its tests are more rigorous. It is recognized by over 50 countries, and by every major racing organization in the world."

"Acceptable full face helmets for on track use in 2015 must meet one or more of the following standards:
  1. 1) (European Standard) ECE 22 – 05; ECE22-06
  2. 2) (Great Britain Standard) BS 6658 Type A
  3. 3) (Japan) JIS T 8133 : 2000
  4. 4) (North American Standard) Snell M 2010
  5. 5) Helmets must be manufactured in 2012, or later"
If your track requires DOT approval on a helmet and the ECE standards exceed the DOT rating :/ look for the clause that says your helmet must meet or exceed the DOT standard.
"Helmets must be certified by the manufacturer as Snell M, BSI 6658 Type A or ECE/22-05 approved, by having a sticker affixed to the helmet which states that it meets or exceeds one of these standards."

I know without double checking that the above is quoted from the CSBK rules that I linked to above.

The reason I know it is that the dates given in the official rulebook are SO behind the times ...

I track with my rf-1200. The rf-1200 is snell 2015 approved, I don't think your graphic would change that. If it fits, you should keep it.

Snell 2020 and a new ECE 22.06 (?) standard is coming.
You're going to find a lot of old stock helmets being blown own over the next few months.

You sir are correct.

The graphic doesn't make my RF-1200 any less track worthy, I just like the graphic on the RF-1200, the adult me knows the K6 is a better helment.

Turns out I'm no longer a Shoei size small so the RF-1200 has to go back anyway.

Between that and the new ECE standard I'm going to hold off on a helmet till the new revision of the K6 comes out. Unless I get a decent sale price on a current K6, not seeing anything yet though.

FWIW, I've never had my helmet checked for any kind of DOT, ECE, Snell certification at any track day I've ever been to.
Most tech guys know what to look for - the sticker on the back is usually enough.
Back when ZOX helmets first came out I had a guy yell at me when I told him his lid wasn't suitable (DOT only) and he had to scrounge up another one from a buddy.

Interesting bit of trivia - currently the only standard for visors is VESC-8, an industrial/commercial test, not motorcycle specific.
The new ECE testing will address that too.

Back
Top Bottom