Dunlop slick rubbing on front fender | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dunlop slick rubbing on front fender

basmn

Site Supporter
2003 r6...so I switched from pirelli dot's to dunlop kr 451 slick on the front. The tire is rubbing on the front fender at speed. Dot's were the same size 120 70 17.never had sn issue. Fender has not moved....any one else experience this issue. You can see the rub line in the pic

Attachments

• DSC_2291.jpg
    DSC_2291.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
2003 r6...so I switched from pirelli dot's to dunlop kr 451 slick on the front. The tire is rubbing on the front fender at speed. Dot's were the same size 120 70 17..fender has not moved....any one else experience this issue. You can see the rub line in the pic

Didn't the 03s come with 120/60 front? They didn't go to the 120/70 till 2005.

Were the old Pirellis take-offs? The extra wear might helped clearance.

If you still want to run the 120/70s, you might have to move the front fender higher up. Did you also raise the forks in the triple clamp to compensate for the extra diameter?

I have always used track scrubs. Dunlop DOT'S , Pirelli SC 120 70 17....never experienced this issue . There is still room for warmers under the fender with all tires I use. I'm thinking it's the carcas construction. The tire grows more at high speed. I don't think the fender is moving. I've been pulling melted plastic off the fender when I pit. And to answer your question ..no I have not adjusted the fork height....bike handles great with the stock ride height. I don't want to go back to dot's, love the slicks....guess I'm adjusting the fender.😎
Didn't the 03s come with 120/60 front? They didn't go to the 120/70 till 2005.

Were the old Pirellis take-offs? The extra wear might helped clearance.

If you still want to run the 120/70s, you might have to move the front fender higher up. Did you also raise the forks in the triple clamp to compensate for the extra diameter?

I have always used track scrubs. Dunlop DOT'S , Pirelli SC 120 70 17....never experienced this issue .

That's my point.

The 2003 Yamaha R6 is designed for (and originally came from the factory) with a lower profile front tire: 120/60. The 120/70 scrubs that you've put on are taller than OEM, but have probably worn sufficiently down so that they clear your front fender. If your 120/70 KR451 is a brand new tire, then it will definitely rub the front fender. If it is also a scrub, then it hasn't been worn down enough to clear the front fender.

I don't want to go back to dot's, love the slicks.

Yeah, the KR451s don't seem to come in 120/60, so you're stuck with moving the fender up.

Last edited:
Slicks are scrubs as well...guess I will have to ride harder and ware them down ...I noticed that bridgestone front slicks are sized at 120 60 17...now that CSBK will be using them in 2023 this may help, but I have 2 sets of dunlops that I have to use first.

Had the same issue with my bike, I think it was a stock fender, went to a race specific fender and no more rub. Maybe get in contact with James @ squidskins.

f5a4a6814c97d2a13522903915890e32.jpg

Problem is it's not just rubbing in 1 specific spot. Almost the entire underside had a rub mark on it.

The rear portion of my fender also had the same rub mark. In your pic you posted, it doesn't look like enough clearance between the tire and fender.

Correct Jay...but the tire and fender do not make contact at normal speeds...just high speeds. As if the tire dia increases significantly enough to make contact. All the other tires that I have run ( same size,) have never created this issue. The reason for my post is to find out if others have experience this with the dunlop slicks.

I was suffering what I thought was brake fade at the end of the straight at GBM this year when sprint racing, when I got back to the pits I noticed my tech sticker was discolored. Maybe the fender had too much flex and was rubbing when hard braking, and the lack of clearance with the stock fender was the culprit. I changed to an aftermarket fender and the bike ran flawlessly in the six hour endurance race.

0abbe8cb54d78c8fb1bfebf3b07bb192.jpg

Exact same problem with Triumph Daytonas and Dunlop slicks. Oddly, I burned through almost the entire length of an abs fender, but when I switched to a Daytona R carbon fender, there's no contact.

So it's the dunlop that is creating the problem, I figured as much. I guess I'll have to Mc giver the fender, or can you run fenderless at mosport and bogi ?

So it's the dunlop that is creating the problem, I figured as much. I guess I'll have to Mc giver the fender, or can you run fenderless at mosport and bogi ?
FFS - you've got all winter, find another fender.

The 120/70 is a much better choice than the 120/60. The taller profile allows greater flex, helping heat buildup/retainment. If it was my race bike I'd just move the fender and run the better tire. There's a reason why rear race tires come in 180/60 and not just 180/55. There's also the possibility that Bridgestone won't spec the 120/60 for CSBK.

Never run with no front fender. Brake lines have a habit of finding the front tire at speed or under braking when the front fender is missing. The bike is also not likely to pass tech (I wouldn't ride with an org that would allow that)

Back
Top Bottom