Doug Ford cancels toll charges for motorists on Highway 412 and Highway 418 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Doug Ford cancels toll charges for motorists on Highway 412 and Highway 418

Hahaha. Electioneering at it's finest.
He is a fast learner. Look at the success JT had with his daily handouts to every strategic geographic and interest groups (voters) during his Campaign
However, I support this move as it has been a long standing complaint that Durham does not have a North/South toll-free 400 road to get to the 407. (404, 410 etc) It will also reduce traffic on the parallel roads.

He is a fast learner. Look at the success JT had with his daily handouts to every strategic geographic and interest groups (voters) during his Campaign
However, I support this move as it has been a long standing complaint that Durham does not have a North/South toll-free 400 road to get to the 407. (404, 410 etc) It will also reduce traffic on the parallel roads.
I always thought it was crazy that those were toll roads. Much of the benefit of toll 407 was it controls volume to keep speed up. I doubt 412/418 will have enough volume to plug up now even if they are free.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with an upcoming election...

Ha. We know it absolutely does. It wasn't that long back he was saying it wasn't possible. Now, months away from an election, it magically is.

But whatever. I live within a few km of the 418 - being able to use it to and from the 401 without the $250 fee will be pretty feckin awesome.

Politicians buy your vote all the time, so no surprise here.

Not a DOFO fan, but his strategy of building the 413, the Bradford crossover, suspending license plate stickers (+ a refund to those who have already paid) and now the 412 , 418 freebee will appeal to all vehicle owners, in particular a million+ suburban commuters / voters who spend too much time stuck in traffic. Plus........ the opposition in the election is completely pathetic. In a province of 14M people the best we can come up with is DOFO, Horwath and Del Duca, God help us.

Parallel roads are being destroyed by huge volumes of traffic avoiding the tolls. Lakeridge Road (Durham 23) pavement is breaking up in the lower section and the cost of repairs will be on the Durham taxpayer. From a motorcycle rider perspective on that road, I've found the traffic volumes, frustrated drivers and intersections to be just too dangerous and chosen to pay the 412 toll to escape to the north east safely.

407 needs to be added to that list Doug. I understand he can’t do anything Brock road west but Brock rd to 115 should be free or at least reasonable.
I travel it almost daily and it is near empty while parallel roads are backed up.
They built it using tax dollars and now want to charge ridiculous prices for us to use it. So it sits empty 🤬

Last edited:
The Freedom Convoy could set have set up shop on the 418 and it would have been 3 weeks before someone noticed they were there, you never see anyone on that road.

I'm all for making them free. Going north/south in Durham is painful

What new tax will replace this lost revenue?

407 needs to be added to that list Doug. I understand he can’t do anything Brock road west but Brock rd to 115 should be free or at least reasonable.
I travel it almost daily and it is near empty while parallel roads are backed up.
They built it using tax dollars and now want to charge ridiculous prices for us to use it. So it sits empty 🤬
The 407 was leased out before the extensions were built. Who paid for the extensions, the 407 Corporation or the MOT?

I vaguely remember taking it all the way east and getting a bill splitting the central portion from the eastern part.

The main part of the 407 is an exclusive highway. If you want the room to zoom you pay. If it becomes cheap or free the executive drivers don't get the room to zoom. How important is your time.

More than once the 407's speed and lack of congestion has enabled me to make another $250 service call at a cost of <$20.

Politicians buy your vote all the time, so no surprise here.

Not a DOFO fan, but his strategy of building the 413, the Bradford crossover, suspending license plate stickers (+ a refund to those who have already paid) and now the 412 , 418 freebee will appeal to all vehicle owners, in particular a million+ suburban commuters / voters who spend too much time stuck in traffic. Plus........ the opposition in the election is completely pathetic. In a province of 14M people the best we can come up with is DOFO, Horwath and Del Duca, God help us.

You forget he actually changed the hov lanes for bikes as well.

Way more positive points compared to the previous regime.

The 407 was leased out before the extensions were built. Who paid for the extensions, the 407 Corporation or the MOT?

I vaguely remember taking it all the way east and getting a bill splitting the central portion from the eastern part.

The main part of the 407 is an exclusive highway. If you want the room to zoom you pay. If it becomes cheap or free the executive drivers don't get the room to zoom. How important is your time.

More than once the 407's speed and lack of congestion has enabled me to make another $250 service call at a cost of <$20.
I agree the 407 west of Brock rd is private and that is a deal that imo should never have happened but it did. But the extension Brock rd to 115 is as far as I know owned by and paid for by Ontario. It was built because traffic in Durham region needs it, yet it’s empty most of the time. Because it’s too costly for most to justify. The speed limit is set at 100kph 😂 average speed seems more like 130kph honestly. So I’m sure they get some good revenue off that also.
Back to my point there is lots of room for more cars and some zoom zoom without hosing the public. It would alleviate a lot of the congestion through and around Brooklin and all the way across Taunton rd.
Where else in Ontario have they built a much needed hwy and then charged people to use it. It’s BS.

Its a start, now time to remove Caroline Mulroney from her Ministry of Transportation position.
I bet she's never been on a bus in her life. The only thing she knows about transportation is the cell phone number of her chauffeur.

Family Day thoughts, Politics and degrees of separation:

Isn't it wonderful that Dalton McGuinty "GAVE" us Family Day but did he pay for that gift?

While the day is a break for the average person, no one seems to talk about the fact that a lot of employers saw their wage costs go up about a half percent because they're paying someone while getting no return in labour. A small store may see its sales drop a similar amount but see no reduction in costs. That equates to an increase in price to cover the shortfall.

A half a percent might not seem like much if you're talking about an extra nickel on a cup of Timmies but a half percent on a five year mortgage is a big deal. A large OEM, buying millions of parts will take the price to five decimal places. Individuals round off to the nearest dollar.

When sourcing parts that could tip the purchase order in the favour of the Pacific rim, some factory worker could get more than Family Day off. In the world of degrees of separation is that laid off person you, your neighbour, your neighbour's brother, the brother's son etc. Someone pays for the free stuff. Who gets the knife in the back?

A half a percent might not seem like much but if you write a cheque for $100.00 and there's only $99.50 in the account the cheque bounces, the payee gets a surcharge and the issuer gets reamed one way or another as well.

So where does the money come from to cover the "Free" stuff, license tags, toll free roads etc?

Highway policies make about as much sense as the truckers protest.

1) Everyone wants more transportation routes.

2) No one wants to live near highways

3) No one wants highways built through distant farmlands.

Mathematically 1+2=3. With the highway logic above, it doesn't add up. NIMBY math.

Back
Top Bottom