Does this Master Link look fine? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does this Master Link look fine?

Boots

I had changed my chain and was riveting the pins to spec of the chain, in doing so I heard what sounded like a cracking noise. I went for a ride and didn't really notice anything per se. Seems to ride fine. I don't notice any binding or anything like that on the chain. When I measured the distance between the plates of the master link and compared it to the plates of the other links, the master link plates are only slightly closer together than the others. Part of me thinks maybe the tool made the noise but I'm not sure. Would the link/pins show obvious signs of being broken if something did go wrong or am I just overthinking it? It's the pin on the right that made the noise. I'll include more photos below it's too large to include in the one post.
20220930_141458.jpg

looks fine to me, no binding, and you haven't over squished the O or X rings, then your good.

looks fine to me, no binding, and you haven't over squished the O or X rings, then your good.
They might be slightly squished since the plates are closer together than the other plates. If they were severely squished I'm assuming they would rupture? I'll post a pic of the overtop view

You're good!

Probably the tool - did you oil it when you used it?

Thanks buddy. Any ideas what that popping/snapping noise I heard would have been? I wonder if it was the tool.
If things werent perfectly lined up or if there was a trapped booger it could have snapped into place. Hard to tell without hearing the noise. If you want to give yourself more piece of mind, give each end of the rivet a little tug/twist with pliers. You should be able to feel if one end feels different.

Back in the day I used thin mechanical wire to keep the master link together after loosing the clip in the middle of nowhere - somehow I made it home, you should be fine, it looks normal to me

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back in the day I used thin mechanical wire to keep the master link together after loosing the clip in the middle of nowhere - somehow I made it home, you should be fine, it looks normal to me

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I used to race with the master link lock wired instead of those clips that fly off at the first sniff of a high side.

Back
Top Bottom