Declaring an accident | GTAMotorcycle.com

Declaring an accident

daught

Someone rear ended my car. Damage is minor, so I will probably settle it cash. I still want to report it at MTO in case there is more damage. If I report the accident at the MTO, will the driver that rear ended me get anything on his record?

In my experience it's not something you can get into just a little bit, it's all in or all out.

there is no middle ground
it's like pregnancy, no such thing as half way

either cash and no record between you and the other party
or full record as an accident and insurance notification

Someone rear ended my car. Damage is minor, so I will probably settle it cash. I still want to report it at MTO in case there is more damage. If I report the accident at the MTO, will the driver that rear ended me get anything on his record?
Depends on the insurance company. Some Companies actually open claims from Police Reports from the CRC despite this theory that this doesn't actually happen.

As the others above said it's most likely all in or all out. Being in the industry, depending on the liability exposure, there are ways to note it down but not open up a claim, there are some adjustors that will tell you from the onset that they will need to open up a claim if you are reporting it. It really all depends.

Realistically if you're NAF for the accident, you have the upper hand, but typically you're putting a lot of faith in the other person that they don't just turn around and report that you reversed into them or something like that to their insurance company/police.

It sucks, you want to trust people, you want to give them a chance, sometimes it works out, sometimes they use it to their advantage.

It happened on the Jameson Gardiner onramp. The ramp is slopes down. The traffic was stopped and they guy just slammed in to me. The bumper has two dimples but the actual crash bar is cracked. I appreciated how to guy was relaxed and did not try to hustle me to settle it cash.

Realistically the whole thing is going to be cheap for me to fix. I don't care about the dimples I just want to replace the crash bar. I'm thinking I will get a quote from a shop and fix it myself if he makes it worth my time which should save him a good chunk of money. He pays me tomorrow cash, or I'm going straight to the MTO.
c1b11dd29be89e9674828990d8d4f8f1.jpg
8a7e30474bebb9187fc091480e48362f.jpg

Why do you say that? The shock clearly shows the travel and the aluminum is shiny at the crack.

As others have mentioned, once you report it to too many places you open a potential pandoras box. If you're going to settle for cash, leave it at that.

Inspect the entire rear end very carefully - that looks like quite the wallop that would have cracked that entire piece like that - those forces went somewhere, and modern unibody car construction means that it's very easy for forces to end up distorting other body parts. Make sure to check panel gaps around the trunk/hatch/whatever, rear door panel gaps etc etc.

What make of car and if you report it does it affect the trade in value of the car due to a Carfax report? The insurance company won't give you compensation for diminished value.

Are there any related parts that have a one hit limit like a helmet?

How much are we talking about here?

Our household has been on both sides of the dilemma in the past and benefited from settling by cash. However I'm getting more leery about repercussions especially when there is no hard evidence.

I am not concerned about diminished value. It's the final year for manual wagons. I'm driving it to the end.

The bumper shock and reinforcement are the one hit items.

I try to be a nice person, but looking back I am getting ******. It was a clear dry day. Traffic was stopped. Dude clearly wasn't paying attention. It was not an accident, it was a fuckup. If he would have done it to a motorcycle it would have been a pretty bad accident. Here I am Saturday morning getting quotes from collision centers. I could just leave my keys and drive away in a rental. It better be worth my time.

your 5 mph bumper has been compromised, I would take some money and say have a nice day drive more careful please, tailgating kills, please don't hit me again, thx. but that's just me. it suks and even if you have it serviced professionally it may never be the same, I have one of those right now.

Back
Top Bottom