Decipher | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decipher

My guess is that the part of the sign that indicates when the 30 speed limit applies, has gone missing. Or someone screwed up. Or someone is playing games.

My guess is that the part of the sign that indicates when the 30 speed limit applies, has gone missing. Or someone screwed up. Or someone is playing games.

i agree ...the bottom sign looks off-center ... maybe

That isn't the way minimum and maximum speeds are supposed to be signed according to the international convention (which Canada and USA aren't part of, which is why our speed limit signs don't look like that). The maximum speed is supposed to be white background inside red circle, the minimum speed limit is supposed to be a blue-background sign with white letters.

That isn't the way minimum and maximum speeds are supposed to be signed according to the international convention (which Canada and USA aren't part of, which is why our speed limit signs don't look like that).

We definately need the addition of the measurement system qualifiers. If our signs didn't specifically list "KPH" on them we'd have lots of American tourists doing 100 MPH on our highways. As it is American tourists come across the border in July with their skis and winter toys looking for snow just over the "magic line"- we certainly can't trust them to understand that we're not still using a stupid antiquated measuring system like they are.

UK vs rest of Europe has same issue. Ireland vs Northern Ireland has same issue and no border checkpoints! You are expected to know what country you are in and what unit system they use. When you cross a border there is a big sign board explaining (in symbols) all the default restrictions that apply in the absence of explicit signs. You are expected to know!

UK vs rest of Europe has same issue. Ireland vs Northern Ireland has same issue and no border checkpoints! You are expected to know what country you are in and what unit system they use. When you cross a border there is a big sign board explaining (in symbols) all the default restrictions that apply in the absence of explicit signs. You are expected to know!

You have more faith than me about the ability of many Americans to understand that anything outside their own little bubble exists.

If you think I was joking about Americans showing up the Canadian border in the summer with snow gear....sadly, I was not. I used to cross the border twice a day every day for years. It was a thing. Seriously.

Actually, I don't have much faith in many Americans being able to figure that out ... It seems that they need things spelled out in words. Like "SPEED LIMIT" and the number ... not just a red circle with a number inside it! "What's that?" LOL! International road signs are the other way around, all symbols and colours, of necessity since there are so many languages.

Re the above post about maximum and minimum speed limits ... Red circle with white background, and some symbolic/numeric restriction inside it, is a "don't do this" or "don't exceed". Blue sign with white something inside it is a "you must do this". Black circle with a diagonal, possibly with some symbolic/numeric restriction inside it, is a cancellation of the restriction. If there's no symbol inside it, it is a cancellation of all restrictions (and resume the default restrictions for the type of road that you are on). If that sign is seen on a German autobahn, it means YEEE-HAAA.

The Germans are extremely diligent about ensuring that every "begin restriction" sign has a corresponding "cancel restriction" sign at the other end of the affected zone. The Italians, not so much. Mexico ... forget it - which is probably why Mexicans treat regulatory signs as background scenery.

Americans would really be confused by this European concept: The sign indicating the name of the village that you are entering, also puts into effect the default urban restrictions, including the default urban speed limit, and the sign cancelling the name of the village as you leave it is also a cancellation of the urban restrictions (and resumption of the rural restrictions including the rural speed limit).

You have more faith than me about the ability of many Americans to understand that anything outside their own little bubble exists.

If you think I was joking about Americans showing up the Canadian border in the summer with snow gear....sadly, I was not. I used to cross the border twice a day every day for years. It was a thing. Seriously.

Just prior to the internet / Google etc where if you needed to know something you needed an encyclopedia which meant a trip to the library. Dominion stores came up with a deal where you could buy a set cheap, published in the USA.

I flicked through one and Lake Simcoe was noted as freezing over in winter, providing a serviceable highway to the north. I was so incensed I hitched up my dogsled and left.

Back
Top Bottom