dealing with the rain in your face | GTAMotorcycle.com

dealing with the rain in your face

suzuki2000

I don't as a rule ride in rain if I don'ty have to.

One reason is becasue I end up pretty much blind, maybe I'm doing somethign worng?

my face sheild fogs up and I cannot see out, if I lift up for airflow it clears the fogging but i end up with rain drops inside that start to obstruct my view, these are much harder to wipe away then rain outside the shield

Eventually I also end up with rain drops on my glasses as well making things just plain ugly.

would a "Rain x product" aleviate this fogging?

Does my helmet just have poor air flow and I need an upgrade?

I don't as a rule ride in rain if I don'ty have to.

One reason is becasue I end up pretty much blind, maybe I'm doing somethign worng?

my face sheild fogs up and I cannot see out, if I lift up for airflow it clears the fogging but i end up with rain drops inside that start to obstruct my view, these are much harder to wipe away then rain outside the shield

Eventually I also end up with rain drops on my glasses as well making things just plain ugly.

would a "Rain x product" aleviate this fogging?

Does my helmet just have poor air flow and I need an upgrade?

The fogging is a problem with most helmets in humid or cold conditions. As Fyrebug says, open the shield just a crack...I find if you're going at speed it's better than slow city crawl speeds for clearing the shield. I've tried Rain-ex and Fog-Ex, rain-ex for the outside, fog ex for the inside. They work a little but there's no miracle cure, a pin-lock insert might help though, that's something I need to try.

Could be your helmet ventilation.

When it rains and my shield or glasses start to get foggy I lift the shield just a bit to allow more air in. Face remains dry even with the shield 2 fingers up. I do notice sometimes the face shield, even when fully closed, has a couple of drops on the inside but this is normal and they don't bother me.

Common thing to do is when going 50km/h or more to turn your head sideways to the wind clears the face shield.

Do your glasses get foggy when you close the shield and you are at a light? (on a not rainy day)

sometimes I notice my helmet is a bit to low and my breathing is actually hitting the face shield rather than the lower part of the full face.

I use a rain-away product on the outside of the shield and a fog-away on the inside. The fog-away works well enough unless you're crawling in stop and go traffic.

One thing that makes a big difference is the helmet itself; my "cheap" Shark helmet has limited ventilation and airflow so it tends to fog up much more than my Arai which has airflow equal to having the shield up on the Shark.

I wear glasses and haven't used anything on my visors for almost 25 years. Crack the visor a bit when stopped, open the chin vent. Try to regulate your breathing so as not to do large exhales. Or you could get something like a Respro mask....or whatever it is.

not sure about the glasses sitch.. but a pinlock visor for me was a god send for aleviating my fogged visor. perhaps if you had one and it wasn't necessary to crack the visor to let all of that humidity in, the glasses wouldn't fog either?

Windshield or not makes a big difference ...getting a cracked visor into the windstream clears fog quickly.
Check that the vents in your helmet are actually open for air flow.

One reason I go open face most of the time. The clear safety glasses I keep at hand are really good at antifog ( I'm riding behind a windshield just below eye level so I can put my head into the windstream if needed.)

Don't think there is one answer but treating your glasses with good anti-fog seems a start.

When it's cold or wet I try to ride with the shield cracked, and chin vent open to deflect the air up the shield rather than into my face - that's with an Arai, with two setting for the chin vent, don't know about other helmets. At stops I routinely pop the shield open more to prevent fogging, then down when I take off.

Fog Zero works great for glasses. It's a car-wax like paste - smear a very small amount on your glasses, let it dry, buff off. Works OK on the inside of my visors, but not near as well as glasses or hockey visors (what I use it for).

If you want to save some bucks, you can use Pledge furniture polish (or other cheapie brand). Works on the same principle - wipe on, let sit, wipe off and buff.

Either option works by putting a super-smooth finish on the glass/plastic. This prevents moisture (fog) build up, because the water doesn't have a place to sit in imperfections in the surface.

Back
Top Bottom