Corsa Meccanica no longer a Piaggio (Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/Vespa) dealer (?) | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Corsa Meccanica no longer a Piaggio (Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/Vespa) dealer (?)

The Dorsoduro is a naked. "Maxi moto" Aprilia calls it...it is not even remotely a supermoto. Put the RSV4 engine in it and Aprilia would have another winner as it's very underpowered.

But it's tall.

Aprilia made a tall bike is my point.

Aprilia CAN make a tall bike.

They're engineers took size into consideration and made a tall canyon carver in the Dorsoduro. It's lethal in the twisties, yet so underpowered.

So Max Biagi *isn't* their model for sizing a bike.

When you have entire threads of 6' + guys figuring out what to change (rearsets, bars) to fit on a bike something has gone wrong in the engineering of the bike.

I understand the want for this bike...it's thrilling and one of a kind...but I passed on it as it was just too small.

Bikes are getting smaller and more skeletal in general...the last iteration of the GSX-R 1000 is smaller
So is the new S1000RR...the CBR1000RRRRRR all of them. So you have taller guys going backwards in time to find a bike that they don't look like they're molesting.
Will just chime in from a short rider view.
Aprilia is one of the taller seat heights. Had a gixxer 1000, speed triple 1050 and was much more comfortable on both height wise.
So you are probably talking more about rider triangle/comfort which would be very rider subjective (different arm, torso, leg lengths)

Will just chime in from a short rider view.
Aprilia is one of the taller seat heights. Had a gixxer 1000, speed triple 1050 and was much more comfortable on both height wise.
So you are probably talking more about rider triangle/comfort which would be very rider subjective (different arm, torso, leg lengths)

Agreed, seat height and rider triangle are two very different things.

A tall seat height may still be uncomfortable for a tall person if the rearsets are positioned up high as well, as they are on a lot of sportbikes for cornering clearance.

I'm happy to be short. I fit in both airplane seats and motorcycle seats a lot better than someone with longer legs. Seat height has never been a problem for me as long as I can get one tippy-toe on the ground.

Bikes are getting smaller and more skeletal in general...the last iteration of the GSX-R 1000 is smaller
So is the new S1000RR...the CBR1000RRRRRR all of them. So you have taller guys going backwards in time to find a bike that they don't look like they're molesting.

Of course race replicas are going to get as compact as possible, and with the Tuono being based off the RSV4, there's only so much you can do to convert a supersport into a sport tourer. Emissions compliance is what killed the Dosro and Shiver, and Aprilia seems to be focused on consolidating platforms around the V4 and 660 motors, so maybe it's just a matter of time before they come out with a Dorsoduro V4 to compete with the Hypermotard, if that's what you're looking for. Who knows, maybe even a Toureg V4 to compete with the Multistrada, or (my hope) an SX 660 supermoto to be the spiritual successor to the SXV 550.

Of course race replicas are going to get as compact as possible, and with the Tuono being based off the RSV4, there's only so much you can do to convert a supersport into a sport tourer. Emissions compliance is what killed the Dosro and Shiver, and Aprilia seems to be focused on consolidating platforms around the V4 and 660 motors, so maybe it's just a matter of time before they come out with a Dorsoduro V4 to compete with the Hypermotard, if that's what you're looking for. Who knows, maybe even a Toureg V4 to compete with the Multistrada, or (my hope) an SX 660 supermoto to be the spiritual successor to the SXV 550.
fingers crossed.

Of course race replicas are going to get as compact as possible

Yep, and going by the average size and weight of the riders that the factories are hiring to ride their racing bikes, they're rarely ever 6'1 and 250 lbs...

Just like horse jockeys, they're more Dani Pedrosa (5'2") than Loris Baz (6'3"). Rossi might have been on the tall side, but he looked like a skeleton with his leathers off.

Likely asked before- who is left as a dealer ? According to their website Vespa Toronto is it.

Last edited:
Yep, and going by the average size and weight of the riders that the factories are hiring to ride their racing bikes, they're rarely ever 6'1 and 250 lbs...

Just like horse jockeys, they're more Dani Pedrosa (5'2") than Loris Baz (6'3"). Rossi might have been on the tall side, but he looked like a skeleton with his leathers off.

Despite all the attacks and fearmongering from that idiot who runs Superbike Planet, Pedrosa ultimately turned out to be too small for MotoGP when the Michelins came back. He couldn't get enough weight over the front tire to generate enough heat. I've mentioned this in the MotoGP thread, but I heard an interview with a KTM team manager who was theorising that one reason Quartararo was able to work the front of the Yamaha when other riders couldn't was that he has a long torso and so is able to get over top of the front to help it grip.

I remember reading somewhere that the 'ideal' MotoGP rider is around 5'7" or 5'8", and weighs 140-150 lbs. Considering both Quartararo and Marquez are in that range, it sounds about right. Light enough for good acceleration and corner speed, heavy and strong enough to muscle the bike around for 25-odd laps and work the tires.

Either way, far smaller than the average North American man. Add that things like ground clearance matter at speed, and comfort is very much a secondary consideration for sportbikes...

The higher pegs were a bonus when I lived in BC and could get trackday coverage as part of my annual collision package. Part of the reason I chose the bike was it's so much more suitable at the track than the supernaked competition. Now that I live in the land of insurance companies who actively detest their own customers, tracking the Tuono is much less appealing...

Likely asked before- who is left as a dealer ? According the their website Vespa Toronto is it.
If you're talking about Aprilia, their Canadian website lists four dealers in Ontario and nine in Quebec. Might be a little out of date, as they are still listing J&R in Stayner, which some above have reported is no longer the case. In southern Ontario it's still Two-Wheel in Guelph, Vos in Vaughan and Studio Cycle in Toronto...

1657562740548.png

The SXV 550 deserves its own thread. An SXV 660 Supermoto would be a great idea for Aprilia to compete with the 701 SM and 690 SMCR.

Last edited:
This explains the state of his store the last time I went in. He told me he had no bikes, and wasn't expecting any. I went in to buy a new Tuono, he told me he might be able to get me one. I never got a call back. He's probably transitioning to another form of business.. ;)

This explains the state of his store the last time I went in. He told me he had no bikes, and wasn't expecting any. I went in to buy a new Tuono, he told me he might be able to get me one. I never got a call back. He's probably transitioning to another form of business.. ;)

He said the same thing, but I did not realize he was no longer an authorized dealer. I ended up buying at Vos.

Back
Top Bottom