car gps? the cheap way out? | GTAMotorcycle.com

car gps? the cheap way out?

BioRouge

hey guys,

looking to pick up an average auto gps but mount it on my bike - affordability is one of my concerns as I'm not looking to dish out over 250 for a gps.

Any ever used one that allows bluetooth earphone connection for directions?

Those of you who do use an average car gps - do you find the need to hear audio directions / Bluetooth headset?

I turned off the voice prompts on mine. The top line on my Garmin 255W tells me where to turn. No bluetooth on it, but I don't care. It was cheap, and if it falls off or gets stolen, I don't care. When I first got it, I was also of the mind that if it got destroyed by rain, I wouldn't care. Several rains later, it hasn't been destroyed.

TigerDirect has a factory-refurbed 265WT with 4.3 inch screen on sale for $89.97. Same screen and software as my 255W, but this one is Bluetooth enabled. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4942688&sku=G145-0236%20RB

I turned off the voice prompts on mine. The top line on my Garmin 255W tells me where to turn. No bluetooth on it, but I don't care. It was cheap, and if it falls off or gets stolen, I don't care. When I first got it, I was also of the mind that if it got destroyed by rain, I wouldn't care. Several rains later, it hasn't been destroyed.

TigerDirect has a factory-refurbed 265WT with 4.3 inch screen on sale for $89.97. Same screen and software as my 255W, but this one is Bluetooth enabled. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4942688&sku=G145-0236%20RB

I concur, 255W, I can hear it in the city with visor up, on the highway a quick glance tells me well in advance as to what I need to be looking for. A higher end model with better route planning capabilities would be a bonus though, but I wouldn't pay extra for sound.

I like my 295w, it has no bluetooth but it has a web browser camara and mp3 player. Got mine for $90 @ newegg but tigerdirect has them cheap too. It also has survived multiple rains for more then an hour at a time.

picked up the 255w.

Need to look into a mount and a power source now :)

any suggestions? I'm having a harsh time figuring out where to mount it on my cbr 125... lol

no space on the handlebars. I'll post a pic in the morning of what the real estate looks like on my handle bars.,

picked up the 255w.

Need to look into a mount and a power source now :)

any suggestions? I'm having a harsh time figuring out where to mount it on my cbr 125... lol

no space on the handlebars. I'll post a pic in the morning of what the real estate looks like on my handle bars.,

I pm'd you about some info on the install. I will send pictures out your way soon.

I pm'd you about some info on the install. I will send pictures out your way soon.

Can you PM as well?

Going to Montreal This week and will need a GPS mount for the 125...right now I use the standard GPS mount and place it on the speedo gauge and has worked for me so far.

Can you PM as well?

Going to Montreal This week and will need a GPS mount for the 125...right now I use the standard GPS mount and place it on the speedo gauge and has worked for me so far.

You placed the suction cup on the speedo guage? brilliant! lol

I use a Garmin 855 (specifically because it doesn't have that annoying auto-zoom feature on it). Built a simple custom mount, too (Search "Mike's Effing Awesome" on this board), and I can hear the voice commands with the visor down in traffic, but on the highway I can't, though you've got all the time in the world to look ahead to see what the next move is.

I like my 295w, it has no bluetooth but it has a web browser camara and mp3 player. Got mine for $90 @ newegg but tigerdirect has them cheap too. It also has survived multiple rains for more then an hour at a time.

That would suck if it finally fails when you're in a foreign city far from home. The older Garmin Streetpilot gps's (2610, 2720, 2820, etc.) are waterproof, cheap, work great, and can be updated to the latest maps. I would much rather rely on one of these, than a non-waterproof gps.

If you do go with the car gps route, RAM makes a waterproof box to put your gps into.

Here's my set up. Garmin 250w from the cage.

Seldom used, but works well when I do. The power cord snakes down the tank, under the seat, and into the 12v socket on the side of the bike.

148hg5d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom