Can't shift into neutral when bike is hot | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't shift into neutral when bike is hot

My RS125 has been like this for a couple years now. Did it when I had Rotella T6 in the transmission and with Motul Gear 300. Played with the adjustments like crazy. Eventually just gave up short of taking the clutch out. I did buy replacement parts though.

Mine never gets impossible though. Just a lot harder to get into neutral. Also sometimes have trouble getting into first. It does pull slightly with the clutch in as well but not enough that it's really a big deal.

Stock clutch lever ? If its one of those knockoff shorties it can cause this kind of problem.

My RS125 has been like this for a couple years now. Did it when I had Rotella T6 in the transmission and with Motul Gear 300. Played with the adjustments like crazy. Eventually just gave up short of taking the clutch out. I did buy replacement parts though.

Mine never gets impossible though. Just a lot harder to get into neutral. Also sometimes have trouble getting into first. It does pull slightly with the clutch in as well but not enough that it's really a big deal.
With a 2t 125 being street ridden and carrying a small load all the time I can imagine that bike definitely needs new clutch plates. Cheap and easy to do.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Agree, clutch drag if adjustment in the lever system is not working is reason enough to take it apart and see what's up inside there, if you don't need to split the cases to get to the clutch :/ which would be a very sad design.
If it was a hydraulic activated clutch I would be looking to flush and refill/bleed the hydraulic line first.

Reactions: TK4
With a 2t 125 being street ridden and carrying a small load all the time I can imagine that bike definitely needs new clutch plates. Cheap and easy to do.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
It's well before due. I think there's only 12k km on it. Suppose it wouldn't hurt though. Wish I had a garage to pull it apart over the winter. Maybe I'll ask the guy that worked on my CBX if he wants something else to play with over the winter. I was going to get him to replace the fork oil this winter anyway.

Ok I haven't been riding much this year because I've been in London for work all summer and when I have it's the CBX but today I took the RS for a quick jaunt and on the way back, once the bike was nice and hot, it was definitely pulling quite a bit when in gear stopped at a light. If I didn't fight it the bike would pull my fat butt forward. So I definitely need to get it looked at or pull it apart myself.

Might try another transmission oil first since that's quick and easy but I'm skeptical that will change anything. It's got Motul 300 in it now. Seems to be fine when just warmed a bit though. Lucas 75W90 was recommended to me but I can't find where to get that in Toronto.

Noticed another issue as well but I'll make my own thread for that.

Last edited:
Lucas 75w90 synth gear oil is available at your local Napa autoparts store. Check online at napacanada.com

Btw, 75w90 synth gear oil is the recommended lubricant in the RS125 manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Might try another transmission oil first since that's quick and easy...
I use the same thing in my Kabota tractor hydraulics on my Trials bikes and it works good, can't beat the price either, just change it often, mine holds a whole 500cc lol
Any amount of water in that oil will make your plates swell and chatter and all kinds of nasty things.

Lucas 75w90 synth gear oil is available at your local Napa autoparts store. Check online at napacanada.com

Btw, 75w90 synth gear oil is the recommended lubricant in the RS125 manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know.

I've got Motul Gear 300 75W90 in it now. I knew it called for gear oil.

Well I changed the fluid but I don't think it'll help. I'm leaning towards swollen clutch material? Slack is actually below spec which I would think would make it slip if anything... (as if the lever is slightly pulled). You can feel it grabbing a bit even when cold if pushing the bike around in gear with clutch pulled in.

I did have engine oil in the transmission instead of gear oil at one point briefly. Maybe it didn't like that.

There were a bit of filings on the drain plug as well. Not sure if it's enough to worry about.

Sorry to OP for taking over his thread.

Oh well, I'll ride it to work tomorrow and see how it is.

Thought the Lucas had fixed it but after a ride back to Toronto from Guelph I tried it out in my driveway and with the clutch in as soon as I lifted my feet bike started pulling forward. Too bad as before that it actually seemed to have resolved it (other than the initial impressions from just moving it in the driveway immediately following the fluid change).

Back
Top Bottom