Can I renew my M1 licence more than once? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I renew my M1 licence more than once?

gtfo84

New user here, hello to every one!

Excuse my ignorance but this question is something I cannot find an answer to anywhere online so I decided to ask here!

I wanted to know if I can pay the $25 (written test + 90 day license) and just keep paying the renewal before the 90 days expire more than once? The only thing I came close to this was MTO stating I cannot renew my M1 once it expires but no mention of prior to expiring! Before anyone asks why, it's simply because I do not consume alcohol, do not plan on using any highways and don't want to bring any passengers with me. I also just figured I can pro-long the M2 test until I am actually ready and feel comfortable. Now, putting aside the fact that we're still in a pandemic and tests might not be accessible or an option, this is still just a general question. Any replies are appreciated.

Honestly don't bother, just go do your M2 test. Find one that runs a course and not just the test, they'll learn you good with a big bonus of cheaper insurance!

New user here, hello to every one!

Excuse my ignorance but this question is something I cannot find an answer to anywhere online so I decided to ask here!

I wanted to know if I can pay the $25 (written test + 90 day license) and just keep paying the renewal before the 90 days expire more than once? The only thing I came close to this was MTO stating I cannot renew my M1 once it expires but no mention of prior to expiring! Before anyone asks why, it's simply because I do not consume alcohol, do not plan on using any highways and don't want to bring any passengers with me. I also just figured I can pro-long the M2 test until I am actually ready and feel comfortable. Now, putting aside the fact that we're still in a pandemic and tests might not be accessible or an option, this is still just a general question. Any replies are appreciated.
Good question. You can probably re take the test before expiration so it extends ‘indefinitely’.

However due to Covid your m1 should not have an actual expiry date.

Consider taking the course, any insurer you speak to will not be happy that you did it through drive test. Call them and ask if you’re doubtful.

Your m1 will not expire at the moment because of covid. Sign up for a weekend m2 course. They will teach you how to ride and you will pass the course at the end of the weekend. Then you will have your m2 for 5 years.

Honestly don't bother, just go do your M2 test. Find one that runs a course and not just the test, they'll learn you good with a big bonus of cheaper insurance!
Your m1 will not expire at the moment because of covid. Sign up for a weekend m2 course. They will teach you how to ride and you will pass the course at the end of the weekend. Then you will have your m2 for 5 years.

Wait, I'm confused. You mean to tell me I don't need to wait a year to get my M2 after I got my M1 like I did with my G license?

Wait, I'm confused. You mean to tell me I don't need to wait a year to get my M2 after I got my M1 like I did with my G license?
Correct. With an M1, you need to wait 60 days before taking the M2 and it expires after 90 days.

As others have said, take a course that includes it. We even get a discount through the forum at with MTOhp

60 days. Another interesting fact is that you can drive a car with a M class license. Which means there is no reason to get a G license. The benefit is that you can RIDE alone and not have a fully licensed G driver with you! Obviously, if you are going to drive then the G graduated rules apply.

60 days. Another interesting fact is that you can drive a car with a M class license. Which means there is no reason to get a G license. The benefit is that you can RIDE alone and not have a fully licensed G driver with you! Obviously, if you are going to drive then the G graduated rules apply.
You can drive, but it’s under G1 restrictions if I recall.

You can drive, but it’s under G1 restrictions if I recall.
Correct! I just think if you don’t have any license it makes sense to go the Moto route because you get the G license essentially for free! And you can ride earlier (provided you can get insurance) and not have mom or dad on the seat behind you!

Correct! I just think if you don’t have any license it makes sense to go the Moto route because you get the G license essentially for free! And you can ride earlier (provided you can get insurance) and not have mom or dad on the seat behind you!
You keep saying G, but it’s G1. And the restrictions are very relevant.

Mom and dad on the seat behind many people would probably result in better riders. But I digress.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
Is the difference in insurance significant for an M1 vs a full license? How much difference are we talking? I know it depends on bike so for the sake of example I'll just say a 1997 Virago.

The difference... The difference will be that it's hard to find someone willing to insure with M1.
allstate and a few others are insuring m1s specifically now.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!
Is the difference in insurance significant for an M1 vs a full license? How much difference are we talking? I know it depends on bike so for the sake of example I'll just say a 1997 Virago.
Massive difference between m1 and m2. Not so much for M, depending on if you take a paid course which you previously skipped for m2.

Write the test (M1), book an M1X (M2) weekend with a school once available, ideally within the 90 days of getting that M1, and then after 60 days (and before 90 day, but maybe longer cuz Covid?) Bring your grad papers to an MTO.

If you're doing this to save money, focus on that aspect by calling around insurance companies and buying used gear. Don't skimp on licensing or rider training, especially when you're just starting.

Regarding the above about G1 licensing n whatnot, once you get your M1/M2/M, it also as an acting G1, nothing else. Still need that G driver/instructor in the passenger seat to drive. But you still need to "write" a G1 if you don't have one to continue to a G2/G class license. My G1 expired in 2018 or something, had to rewrite a couple years back to get a G2.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

The MTO website is confusing. Can I write the test for M(L) and be able to drive my limited scooter for 90 days once it's insured and registered or am I only allowed my M(L) after the road test? It doesn't really mention specifics.

The MTO website is confusing. Can I write the test for M(L) and be able to drive my limited scooter for 90 days once it's insured and registered or am I only allowed my M(L) after the road test? It doesn't really mention specifics.
Yes you can ride it during the 90 days following the limitations of a M(L)1 license.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom