Bye Bye Desjardins It Was Nice Knowing You | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bye Bye Desjardins It Was Nice Knowing You

Pegassus

Site Supporter
My 2 vehicle renewal letter came by snail mail this week. It's on July 1st. They raised my policy prices almost $100 FOR EACH CAR, A MONTH. Just ridiculous. Car #1 was $152/mo and car #2 was $185/mo. Now car #1 is $241/mo and car #2 is $274/mo. No speeding ticket, no claims, no crashes, continuous insurance coverage since 2005 but with Desjardins since 2013. 1 driver on the policy. Thank God I never put my motorcycle with them.

I called them to see why, they said; "Lots of accidents and bad drivers in your zip code have cost us money, hence rates went up".

Bad drivers and accidents? I don't believe for a minute that all those perfect squicky-clean drivers you guys filtered out for policies suddenly got into accidents en-masse in my zip code. Anyways, a friend of mine reluctantly gave me the phone number of his insurer. It's a small company that I have never heard of but they are charging me for car #1 = $135/mo and for car #2 = $155. Cheaper than what Desjardins was charging me back in 2013 up until this year. And remember that I'm paying $10 extra for each car for "accident forgiveness", otherwise it would be cheaper.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or do insurance companies start screwing their customers about 3 or 4 years in?
It always seems to be worth it to shop around after that time span.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
Nope it’s not just you, they have me by the balls, got six cars on with Desjardins

Why would someone be reluctant to give out the number of an insurance company? Do they only insure so many people?

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
Because my friend says that his broker gets saturated with calls and then they raise the rates as more people come in. It's like a good deal on a phone data plan or a cheap motorcycle for sale, the less people know about it, the better.

BTW, I learnt that it's VERY important that you are continuously insured for your own sake. My rates were based solely on years insured, the more years the cheaper. But I was asked when I got my "G" licence. Nobody said anything about where I live or how many people got into accidents in my zip code last year. I guess only Desjardin drivers caused all the accidents.

Nope it’s not just you, they have me by the balls, got six cars on with Desjardins
Have they raised your rates? When is your policy up for renewal? Desjardins was the cheapest for me back in 2013, only this year they got silly.

Have they raised your rates? When is your policy up for renewal? Desjardins was the cheapest for me back in 2013, only this year they got silly.
I’ve got other quotes but they are still the cheapest.

I phone about every three months and make sure they are not raising the rates without me knowing it’s coming.

This seems to keep them in check

I’ve got three bikes on with aviva and my sleds on with TD

I have one bike (DL650) and a new 570cc atv with Dejardins, $81/mo insures both.

I would like to have a system where people can post a retainer instead of having insurance. For example, if you were to post a $100,000 retainer secured by an independent party to be drawn upon to pay for any accidents, then you shouldn't have to carry insurance. The retainer could be invested and earn interest, but it must always be there.

We desperately need to break the insurance cartel. The gouging is way out of hand.

I would like to have a system where people can post a retainer instead of having insurance. For example, if you were to post a $100,000 retainer secured by an independent party to be drawn upon to pay for any accidents, then you shouldn't have to carry insurance. The retainer could be invested and earn interest, but it must always be there.

We desperately need to break the insurance cartel. The gouging is way out of hand.
Good idea but what happens if you rear-end someone in Brampton and he refuses to work the rest of his life? 100k will only go for 5 years at low-minimum wages ($20k/yr). Also you might write-off a Lamborghini in a crash and they cost $300k.

What we need to do is get rid of paying people for injuries and wages. Just pay them property damage, just to replace their vehicles, and drop insurance rates to $50/month across the board for everybody.

Are you afraid to get crippled in a car accident? Don't drive.

Are you a doctor making $300k a year and you are afraid that this simple insurance won't cover your wages? Well don't drive, take care of yourself so you can still make $300k a year.

Someone claims he can't move for life because he got rear-ended at 20 km/h in a stoplight? Tough luck you should had read the disclaimers.

I have travelled through Central American countries in the past years and this is how their insurance works. And over there car insurance is voluntary, it's not enforced by the government or required. You should see how nice they behave with the public and how they beg your business.

Good idea but what happens if you rear-end someone in Brampton and he refuses to work the rest of his life? 100k will only go for 5 years at low-minimum wages ($20k/yr). Also you might write-off a Lamborghini in a crash and they cost $300k.

What we need to do is get rid of paying people for injuries and wages. Just pay them property damage, just to replace their vehicles, and drop insurance rates to $50/month across the board for everybody.

Are you afraid to get crippled in a car accident? Don't drive.

Are you a doctor making $300k a year and you are afraid that this simple insurance won't cover your wages? Well don't drive, take care of yourself so you can still make $300k a year.

Someone claims he can't move for life because he got rear-ended at 20 km/h in a stoplight? Tough luck you should had read the disclaimers.

I have travelled through Central American countries in the past years and this is how their insurance works. And over there car insurance is voluntary, it's not enforced by the government or required. You should see how nice they behave with the public and how they beg your business.

I would say $100,000 for a motorcycle and $1M for a car.

Good idea but what happens if you rear-end someone in Brampton and he refuses to work the rest of his life? 100k will only go for 5 years at low-minimum wages ($20k/yr).

You can buy a $1 million dollar liability policy for yourself for peanuts. I used to have $5 million liability insurance for a business I ran. Cost me $2,000 a year.

But suddenly when it's attached to an auto policy it's several times more.

Also you might write-off a Lamborghini in a crash and they cost $300k.

No fault insurance in Ontario means your own insurance provider pays out, even if you are not at fault. So many company fleets for example actually have no accident coverage. As liability is all that is legally needed.

Back
Top Bottom