Buying a motorcycle in Ontario without a license | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a motorcycle in Ontario without a license

derekdel4

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I googled but couldn't find much. I currently have my M1 license and I had my M2 course booked for April 24/25 but Doug Ford had other plans for me. I don't know when I'll even be able to take this course to be honest, and I don't think I'm able to get insurance with an M1 unless I want to sell a kidney. (I'm 21 looking to get an R3 or ninja 300 for reference). There isn't many bikes for sale in my area (Niagara) without travelling to Hamilton or Toronto, although I have seen a couple this week. Am I able to purchase a motorcycle and register it with just an M1? I would just be leaving the bike in my garage until I can ride, and this would be only if I find a really good deal/bike in my area. Also, if anyone knows any good motorcycle mechanics in Thorold/St. Catharines area, I'm taking recommendations. I can do some work myself since I used to ride dirt bikes, but sport bikes are a different breed so I'm most likely going to be taking it somewhere for safety and maintenance when I first start riding. Thanks for any info and hopefully these lockdowns stop and we can take our course! (if there is anyone else in the same boat as me)

Youre able to purchase and register a vehicle even without a license. the MTO will just ask for UVIP and the signed registration to be able to put it in your name. safety papers to have it marked FIT. and insurance papers to have it plated. But you don’t need a license to get it in your name

Thanks. So even if I have my M1 I just need UVIP, safety and reg and I can put it in my name. Great.
Add bill of sale in there too.

If the bike comes with a safety - tell them you want to register your vehicle FIT - UNPLATED because you don't have insurance.
Go back to Service Ontario whenever you get your M2 & insurance and ask to register plates for it.

If the bike doesn't come with a safety - tell them you want to register your vehicle UNFIT - UNPLATED.
You will need to arrange to get your motorcycle transported to a shop to get the safety done. U-Haul motorcycle trailers are $15 + tax.

My advice is to get your safety done around the same time that you plan to start insurance and register plates. A safety is valid for 36 days from inspection date.

I bought my motorcycle in July and paid the $32 registration fee plus HST on the bike UNFIT - UNPLATED.
When I came back in September after I got the safety done just to simply change it to FIT - UNPLATED they charged me another $32.

As for your question about mechanics, most of the maintenance you'll be able to do yourself. Save yourself a lot of money and you can easily YouTube maintenance videos for R3s or Ninja 300s. Also look up the Owners Manual for the motorcycles to get information on their service intervals.

Last edited:
Add bill of sale in there too.

If the bike comes with a safety - tell them you want to register your vehicle FIT - UNPLATED because you don't have insurance.
Go back to Service Ontario whenever you get your M2 & insurance and ask to register plates for it.

If the bike doesn't come with a safety - tell them you want to register your vehicle UNFIT - UNPLATED.
You will need to arrange to get your motorcycle transported to a shop to get the safety done. U-Haul motorcycle trailers are $15 + tax.

My advice is to get your safety done around the same time that you plan to start insurance and register plates. A safety is valid for 36 days from inspection date.

I bought my motorcycle in July and paid the $32 registration fee plus HST on the bike UNFIT - UNPLATED.
When I came back in September after I got the safety done just to simply change it to FIT - UNPLATED they charged me another $32.

As for your question about mechanics, most of the maintenance you'll be able to do yourself. Save yourself a lot of money and you can easily YouTube maintenance videos for R3s or Ninja 300s. Also look up the Owners Manual for the motorcycles to get information on their service intervals.
Wow thanks for the info. If I buy the bike I would probably just get it saftied anyways and register it as fit-unplated that way once I have the M2+ insurance I just gotta go pick up the plates.

Wow thanks for the info. If I buy the bike I would probably just get it saftied anyways and register it as fit-unplated that way once I have the M2+ insurance I just gotta go pick up the plates.

Glad to help!

Legally you have 6 days from the date of purchase to register the vehicle. To be able to register it as FIT - UNPLATED would technically mean that you'd have to have your safety appointment done within those 6 days.
When I set up my safety appointment I also had the recalls done at the same time, so the earliest booking was in a month due to having to wait for the recalled parts to arrive.
I'm not sure how busy shops are at this time.

However I read all the time that people are able to register their vehicle way past the 6 days, even months after they purchased it.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on finding your bike! Love my R3.

I mean technically I could just write the bill of sale a month later. They wouldn’t know when I bought it, but I’d just get it done all at once tbh. Yeah I’m definitely looking at the r3, I heard ninja and r3 are good but I like the look of the r3 better

y
I mean technically I could just write the bill of sale a month later. They wouldn’t know when I bought it, but I’d just get it done all at once tbh. Yeah I’m definitely looking at the r3, I heard ninja and r3 are good but I like the look of the r3 better
yeah do that. just make sure the seller doesnt date the back of the reg.

Make sure there is no money owed/outstanding liens on the bike by the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great advice above especially on the "FIT" status.

The only thing I'll ad is that you don't even need to worry about the M1 in order to register a motorcycle in your name, so don't sweat the time and expense (mostly, the time) to get an M1 that you will potentailly never use given how quickly it expires. Until the licencing and course things straighten themselves out you can just back burner that - buy the bike, switch it over into your name, and then putter and poke around with at, polish it, learn about it (especially simple maintenance you can do that will save you a lot of money), etc etc until such time that things get back in gear with the courses and such....then go get the M1 and move forward.

Back
Top Bottom