Broker For New Riders? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Broker For New Riders?

I recently passed my safety course with Learning Curves (Markham location). Won't be able to officially upgrade my license to an M1 until the end of August but I figured it'd be smart to shop around for insurance while I wait. I'm a 29 year old single female with a clean G class driving record...but being a new rider is what's killing me right now. I reached out to a few places already: One no longer insures new riders (Paul South), MW gave me a 4-5k quote (lol), and Riders Plus was the cheapest so far, between $2200-$2400 depending on the engine but that's still a lot regardless. I reached out to DT, still waiting for them to get back to me.

The bike I'm looking to get is the Rebel 300 or 500 (Though I'm leaning more towards the 500), between the years of 2017-2019. I'm assuming it's costing so much because they're relatively new/popular bikes (On top of my noob status of course). The only other used Rebel options in my area are 2009 and older, which I'm sure would save me more money on the insurance side of things but on Kijiji they're going for nearly the same price as a brand new 2018/19 300 so I'm not sure if that's a smart investment.

Anyone have any suggestions on who to contact? Thanks!

I recently passed my safety course with Learning Curves (Markham location). Won't be able to officially upgrade my license to an M1 until the end of August but I figured it'd be smart to shop around for insurance while I wait. I'm a 29 year old single female with a clean G class driving record...but being a new rider is what's killing me right now. I reached out to a few places already: One no longer insures new riders (Paul South), MW gave me a 4-5k quote (lol), and Riders Plus was the cheapest so far, between $2200-$2400 depending on the engine but that's still a lot regardless. I reached out to DT, still waiting for them to get back to me.

The bike I'm looking to get is the Rebel 300 or 500 (Though I'm leaning more towards the 500), between the years of 2017-2019. I'm assuming it's costing so much because they're relatively new/popular bikes (On top of my noob status of course). The only other used Rebel options in my area are 2009 and older, which I'm sure would save me more money on the insurance side of things but on Kijiji they're going for nearly the same price as a brand new 2018/19 300 so I'm not sure if that's a smart investment.

Anyone have any suggestions on who to contact? Thanks!
Have you tried calling TD ? It would help if you're part of some qualifying group like your workplace or university alumni/staff. Also, ask them to quote you as if you already have your M2, otherwise rates would be horrible.

Have you tried calling TD ? It would help if you're part of some qualifying group like your workplace or university alumni/staff. Also, ask them to quote you as if you already have your M2, otherwise rates would be horrible.
I reached out to my work's HR and asked them if we have group insurance. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow morning! I'll look into TD.

Good to know about acting like I already have my M2. Makes total sense, thanks!

I reached out to my work's HR and asked them if we have group insurance. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow morning! I'll look into TD.

Good to know about acting like I already have my M2. Makes total sense, thanks!
TD has an online calculator for motorcycle insurance where you can punch in any group like your workplace or university, to see if you qualify for a discount. Faster that way. Although you may not be able to generate a quote online as a new rider.

TD has an online calculator for motorcycle insurance where you can punch in any group like your workplace or university, to see if you qualify for a discount. Faster that way. Although you may not be able to generate a quote online as a new rider.
I called TD who told me that for new riders I had to submit a written application, which could take up to 6-8 weeks lol - however, I just got off the phone with Johnson (I have an alumni discount with them) and they gave me the best rate so far at $1,311 for both the Rebel 500 and 300. HUGE difference from Dalton Timmis.

Last edited:
I called TD who told me that for new riders I had to submit a written application, which could take up to 6-8 weeks lol - however, I just got off the phone with Johnson (I have an alumni discount with them) and they gave me the best rate so far at $1,311 for both the Rebel 500 and 300. HUGE difference from Dalton Timmis.
Nice! Same rate for both 300 and 500 ? Sounds a bit odd. But if true, go for the 500 I would say. I test rode both, and 300 feels severly underpowered on the highway. Also, location of the foot rests feels more comfortable on the 500 (it's different between the two).

Nice! Same rate for both 300 and 500 ? Sounds a bit odd. But if true, go for the 500 I would say. I test rode both, and 300 feels severly underpowered on the highway. Also, location of the foot rests feels more comfortable on the 500 (it's different between the two).
Yeah I found it weird too, but it's okay because I was planning on getting the 500 anyway. I'm waiting on my work HR to get back to me to see if I can get a different quote, but so far I'm leaning towards Johnson since it was such a great rate, and for full coverage too.

What's the difference between the footrests? I only test rode the 300.

Back
Top Bottom