Break in inspection and valve adjustment | GTAMotorcycle.com

Break in inspection and valve adjustment

Kuro

Site Supporter
I just picked up a low mileage bike. Its over 6 years old and its got under 5000 kms on it. Its got about 3k kms on it.

Considering its only been 3000ish kms, its never been back to the dealer for a valve adjustment or post break-in inspection. And its been 5 years. The reason why its so low km is cuz it was dumped, and owner sold it, new owner didnt bother fixing it, and now I have it.

I asked the seller about post-break in inspection and valve adjustment and he pretty much said, 'blahhh inspection, it'll be fine'

Never owning a bike newer than 2004, I've never had to break a bike in.
Does anyone with experience know if an actual valve adjustment is necessary?

I've done a valve adjustment on a kawi 3 years ago, but that was a super easy EX500.

Are there other items that need inspection other than valves?

Thanks

How about you let us know what bike you bought, so people familiar with that year/make/model can chime in with appropriate information. :confused:

I don't see a mention of which bike it is. Some bikes require a valve inspection at 1000kms, some don't require it until 20000 kms or more. For the latter bikes, a first inspection is really just an oil & filter change and checkover. If its supposed to have one at this point, I would do it.

I was hoping the theory would apply to all bikes. Its a CBR1000RR

I left out that particular info incase someone else from this forum might have been trying to pick up the same bike but missed it cuz I snatched it first. lol.

Last edited:
Change the oil, fix what's broken and ride it. Check the valves around 20-25,000km. I did mine around 20,000km and I think 2 were out of spec.

being a honda, the leader of quality, it wouldnt need the valves adjusted just checked for piece of mind. start your own history/record with an oil/filter and general check over

Make sure the you get the silent recall done, not 100% sure of the name of it, something to do with the spark generators.

I had a 2004 CBR1000RR, brought second hand, I was at Deals Gap last year and the gasket on the valve cover ended up being pushed out. Turns out gases inside the valve cover ignited and pushed the seal out, lost 3 days worth of riding.

Got back home, went to the dealer and was told it was a silent recall. Work was only done if you had an issues.

Returned the bike to the dealer with a few choice words (there being other issues with the bike).

This is a recall? So it would be free of charge then?

I'll call them and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

I had a 2004 CBR1000RR, brought second hand, I was at Deals Gap last year and the gasket on the valve cover ended up being pushed out. Turns out gases inside the valve cover ignited and pushed the seal out, lost 3 days worth of riding.

Did you call SBFH to the rescue during those 3 days?

img49031.jpg

Sorry, not sure what SBFH is ?

Put the bike in the back of the truck and brought it home after watching my mates ride for couple more days.

As for the recall being silent, when I spoke to the bloke at the service desk, no letter or anything was ever sent out, just if you had an issue it was fixed.

Looking back I am glad it lasted as long as it did as we were riding pretty hard at the gap, its hard not too the roads are epic !

When I had the issue I posted up pics on the forum last September.

Sorry, not sure what SBFH is ?

Put the bike in the back of the truck and brought it home after watching my mates ride for couple more days.

As for the recall being silent, when I spoke to the bloke at the service desk, no letter or anything was ever sent out, just if you had an issue it was fixed.

Looking back I am glad it lasted as long as it did as we were riding pretty hard at the gap, its hard not too the roads are epic !

When I had the issue I posted up pics on the forum last September.

SBFH = sport bikes for hire - could have rented a bike to fill the gap - at the gap.

Maybe my picture didn't load for you.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2245/img49031.jpg

Dam !, never gave it a second thought (image did not load)

Hopefully my R1 will not let me down this year.

Cheers

This is a recall? So it would be free of charge then?

I'll call them and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

Go to a hungry dealer for business. Warranty work is gravy for a dealer, especially if they aren't busy. Less busy shops will looks for ways to do warranty work on your bike. They win, you win. All is happy. Busy dealers, will brush you off.

Back
Top Bottom