BMW R18 - The Harley Killer? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW R18 - The Harley Killer?

Zack’s review.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

......... On that topic I don’t understand why the K1600b hasn’t stolen more of the bagger market from Harley, love the look of that bike but I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen one on the road before.

A number of the Honda ST crowd are moving to the K1600 as there has been no replacement for the Honda ST1300. There are usually 2 or 3 of them at events. Phenominal technology, great exhaust sound, expensive to purchase and very expensive to maintain at BMW dealerships.

IMHO HD's have ancient technology, often a modified and obnoxious exhaust sound, are way too expensive to purchase and very expensive to maintain due to overall poor design engineering, poor quality control during the build process and poor longevity.

I was in the US a few summers ago and 2 HD guys came over to look at my 2002 ST1100, which kind of surprised me. They were amazed that my odometer read 115,000 (at that time). I explained that it was in km and was about 75,000 miles. Still impressed, one of them asked if it was the original engine. I told him is was and that all I have every done was change oil and filter and that nothing had ever failed. They looked a bit stunned to hear this. Just to rub it in a bit........... I went on to tell them I had a relatively low mileage bike and knew plenty of riders with well over 150,000 miles with the same experience. No Honda converts that day I'm sure, but maybe it opened their eyes a bit to the excessive repairs HD riders understand to be the norm because they have no experience with other brands.,

I really don't see any HD rider being attracted to any BMW, in particular the k1600. This bike is exactly the opposite of an HD. I predict the new R18 will be popular with existing BMW riders and perhaps a few other brands, but there will be very few HD riders who switch over.

I think the guys at HD can rest easy.

A number of the Honda ST crowd are moving to the K1600 as there has been no replacement for the Honda ST1300. There are usually 2 or 3 of them at events. Phenominal technology, great exhaust sound, expensive to purchase and very expensive to maintain at BMW dealerships.

IMHO HD's have ancient technology, often a modified and obnoxious exhaust sound, are way too expensive to purchase and very expensive to maintain due to overall poor design engineering, poor quality control during the build process and poor longevity.

I was in the US a few summers ago and 2 HD guys came over to look at my 2002 ST1100, which kind of surprised me. They were amazed that my odometer read 115,000 (at that time). I explained that it was in km and was about 75,000 miles. Still impressed, one of them asked if it was the original engine. I told him is was and that all I have every done was change oil and filter and that nothing had ever failed. They looked a bit stunned to hear this. Just to rub it in a bit........... I went on to tell them I had a relatively low mileage bike and knew plenty of riders with well over 150,000 miles with the same experience. No Honda converts that day I'm sure, but maybe it opened their eyes a bit to the excessive repairs HD riders understand to be the norm because they have no experience with other brands.,

I really don't see any HD rider being attracted to any BMW, in particular the k1600. This bike is exactly the opposite of an HD. I predict the new R18 will be popular with existing BMW riders and perhaps a few other brands, but there will be very few HD riders who switch over.
I ride with a number of ST and ex ST riders, most have moved to GLs none I know or have met are on Ks. A big part of the ST ownership experience is trouble free riding and low cost of ownership -neither are on the K’s feature sheet. I dont expect much migration from the ST crowd to Ks

I stand corrected
sounds like it cold starts about as well as my Italian bike

The R18 sure does look beautiful...
But I'd be paranoid about hitting those cylinder heads given how wide they are!

1606855782836.jpeg

The Harley Pan Am and BMW R18 both seem like they're from a plot of a "mixed-up at birth" movie.

A horror movie, at that...
the irony was not lost on me.

Chaps, by definition are ass-less. Don't be redundant... ;)
But, if that was the case, Harley riders shouldn't be allowed to ride with them on... Can't say chaps are assless on any HD product. 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom