bike stalls when idling | GTAMotorcycle.com

bike stalls when idling

Robby

2001 honda cbr 600 f4i. I was riding the other day with a friend and about 20 mins into the ride we came to a few close stop signs in a row. At the first stop my bike died when i came to a full stop going from 750-1000 rpm to 500 then just dying. It started back up again no problem so at the next stop i just held the throttle a little and there was no problem. Then on the last stop i let it out and it died again. My buddy behind me said he could smell gas like i was running rich. Someone told me to change my spark plugs. Any insight to this problem? I have been reading and it seems to be a pain in the *** to change them on this bike. Thank you in advance for your help

could be a stator/rectifier issue not charging the battery properly so the bike doesn't have enough power to keep the bike running at low rpms. The bike doesn't charge the battery unless the rpms are around 5k so it couls aslo be that your battery is on its way out and can't hold a charge anymore.

i use a charger/tender weekly and it turns on right after it dies. can it still b the battery?

I don't know the cbr but 750-1000 rpm idle sounds low, i think my bike is closer to 1200-1300, you may want to reset the idle (usually a turn screw you can do on the drive way).

adjust your idle... sub 1k is too low for a sport bike. I have mine around 1300-1500. If you still have problems afterwards clean/change your spark plugs. If you dont know when they were changed last then just change them they're not that expensive.

i use a charger/tender weekly and it turns on right after it dies. can it still b the battery?

I think so, you may have enough juice to start/crank the bike but not enough power to keep everything running once it starts. When my alternator (Stator) was starting to go, the bike would shut off speratically, but would start right back up. When I replaced the battery when it actually died. It was fine for weeks and it started happening again. Took it to the dealer and the tested the stator/rectifier and the bike wasn't charging the battery which was causing the battery to die prematurely.

But if you idle should also be over 1000k rpms.

You need to clarify if the bike is shutting off when you stop or actually stalling. i.e. you feel the bike studder before it shuts off or your does it simply turn off as if you hit a reset button.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom