Bike doesn't accelerate or speed (2016 Ducati Monster 821) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike doesn't accelerate or speed (2016 Ducati Monster 821)

dshishir42

Hey guys, so I have had the Monster 821 for about a month now, and it has been doing great. However, after about 3-4 hours of riding around today, the bike automatically started to rev a lot when I give it gas and clutch fully released (Not exceeding 20 kmph in 3rd/4th gear). I tried from first gear to the last gear, and it still acts as if the clutch is fully pulled in, in the middle of the highway. Is it possible that the clutch lever got loose? Because I fully disengaged the clutch in first gear with no gas and the bike didn't stop (it kept on rolling). I am thinking of towing it in to the dealership unless someone here knows if its an easy fix.

Year? Mileage? The clutch could be slipping. Definitely dont keep riding it until you sort out the problem.

2016 with 9600 kms. Yeah, I plan on towing it to the dealership tomorrow.
Unless there was an adjustment issue, I doubt the clutch is worn out. Is that one a dry clutch? With wet clutches some oils dont cooperate and cause slipping. Mileage is pretty low for four years old, there is a chance some of the plates stuck. When was the last time the bike worked properly? What has happened since then (maintenance, tip over, time, etc).

"The Monster 821 engine features an oil bath, cable-operated APTC clutch with ‘slipper’ function and super-light feel at the lever."
Something's gone wrong - take it to a shop.

Unless there was an adjustment issue, I doubt the clutch is worn out. Is that one a dry clutch? With wet clutches some oils dont cooperate and cause slipping. Mileage is pretty low for four years old, there is a chance some of the plates stuck. When was the last time the bike worked properly? What has happened since then (maintenance, tip over, time, etc).
The bike was working fine till 3 PM today. I was returning back home from cruising around and around Square One, all of a sudden the issue started to arise. I rode it to bring it back home, and I tried to see if the issue was fixed after the bike cooled down, but the issue still persisted. I bought the bike at 9000 kms, did safety and oil change in May 3rd. The guy did say he played around with the clutch in order to make it easier to find neutral when he did the safety and oil change at Twin Seasons Recreation. I believe the clutch is wet.

wa
The bike was working fine till 3 PM today. I was returning back home from cruising around and around Square One, all of a sudden the issue started to arise. I rode it to bring it back home, and I tried to see if the issue was fixed after the bike cooled down, but the issue still persisted. I bought the bike at 9000 kms, did safety and oil change in May 3rd. The guy did say he played around with the clutch in order to make it easier to find neutral when he did the safety and oil change at Twin Seasons Recreation. I believe the clutch is wet.

was you at twin season a couple days ago?

Take it back to the shop that serviced the clutch and have them re adjust it

Your clutch is slipping, you bought the bike second hand so sadly it is not impossible the clutch is just plain old worn out, or the previous owner messed a little too much with the clutch springs and something is broken or backing off.

Carl Salter has a free service manual that is close but not the exact one for your bike, most of it will be the same. Measure your cork plates for thickness and determine if the previous owner was into power wheelies.

Yeah, that it is very real possibility with second hands. I will take it to the Twin Seasons for troubleshooting.
Your clutch is slipping, you bought the bike second hand so sadly it is not impossible the clutch is just plain old worn out, or the previous owner messed a little too much with the clutch springs and something is broken or backing off.

Carl Salter has a free service manual that is close but not the exact one for your bike, most of it will be the same. Measure your cork plates for thickness and determine if the previous owner was into power wheelies.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

APTC is actually a pretty cool clutch design, the plates are suppose to tighten under load because they ride on a helix cut grove in the clutch basket :sneaky: very clever design if it works. The video is worth the 3 minute watch.

So, guys apparently the friction zone had moved (On the clutch lever). I took it in to TSR, these guys are the best. These guys showed me how to adjust the clutch lever, and it worked like before. I am not sure if I had taken to any other place, they would have charged me 500 bucks+. Denny and the guys just showed me how to fix it in the future as well.

So, guys apparently the friction zone had moved (On the clutch lever). I took it in to TSR, these guys are the best. These guys showed me how to adjust the clutch lever, and it worked like before. I am not sure if I had taken to any other place, they would have charged me 500 bucks+. Denny and the guys just showed me how to fix it in the future as well.
I'm glad it's fixed. I do find it very strange that you entirely lost the clutch in 600 km. I would be inclined to believe that it was slipping a bit even when you thought it was fully engaged it things changed that quickly.

I'm glad it's fixed. I do find it very strange that you entirely lost the clutch in 600 km. I would be inclined to believe that it was slipping a bit even when you thought it was fully engaged it things changed that quickly.
I think maybe ..the shop mucked up the original clutch adjustment done during the safety (to find neutral easier) given the time frame.
perhaps a lock nut on an adjuster (not quite tight enough) vibrated loose allowing the adjustment to go out of wack in short time. its commendable they showed you how to do the clutch adjustment and fixed the problem.

if the problem doesn't persist I would say this ^ is what happened. perhaps.
nice ride.

Last edited:
Isn't that an adjustment covered in the owner manual?
You should be checking that every time you ride.

Back
Top Bottom