Best/most scenic route to Moncton NB in 1 day. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best/most scenic route to Moncton NB in 1 day.

So you rode in the dark through moose country for much of the ride just to save a day... Lucky you didn't hit any wildlife.

Much of the ride where?

No moose country between Clarington and Belleville where the sun came up.

Had about 30 minutes after dark in New Brunswick. Showed down and followed other vehicles, same thing I do in deer country. Roads between Fredricton and Moncton aren’t exactly backcountry bayou either.

Glad to report I survived. Sorry you’ve apparently never ridden a long day before and assume “much of the ride” was in the dark. 🙄

In Baddeck Nova Scotia now.

Once again rode 5 minute back and forth from motel to restaurant and made it alive.

Windy as fack here today. Cold too. Rain stayed threatening all day but only got a few sprinkles. So, typical status quo weather for when I’m on vacation.

Nice. Now you''re an eastie if I ever saw one. In looking at the map, I realized that if you could do a straight shot from QC to Moncton as the crow flies, you would save a lot of time but you actually have to loop north to go around Maine. Anyway, enjoy the Cabot Trail.

Nice. Now you''re an eastie if I ever saw one. In looking at the map, I realized that if you could do a straight shot from QC to Moncton as the crow flies, you would save a lot of time but you actually have to loop north to go around Maine. Anyway, enjoy the Cabot Trail.
Last time I was out there, I was looking for gas on mainland NS and the GPS told me to go 50 km north. Stupid old GPS was calculating as the crow flies across the bay of fundy. It was something like 600 km by road.

Last time I was out there, I was looking for gas on mainland NS and the GPS told me to go 50 km north. Stupid old GPS was calculating as the crow flies across the bay of fundy. It was something like 600 km by road.

The friend I was meeting in Moncton yesterday (ex Bowmanvillian now living out here) was watching me on Find My Friends.

When he thought I was only 100km out he said he’d be waiting out front for me in an hour.

I was actually still about 175km away.

Find my friends shoes crow-flies miles vs actual road miles of course.

The friend I was meeting in Moncton yesterday (ex Bowmanvillian now living out here) was watching me on Find My Friends.

When he thought I was only 100km out he said he’d be waiting out front for me in an hour.

I was actually still about 175km away.

Find my friends shoes crow-flies miles vs actual road miles of course.
Cops are more amenable out there, 175 in an hour could have been done.

Much of the ride where?

Had about 30 minutes after dark in New Brunswick. Showed down and followed other vehicles, same thing I do in deer country. Roads between Fredricton and Moncton aren’t exactly backcountry bayou either.

Glad to report I survived. Sorry you’ve apparently never ridden a long day before and assume “much of the ride” was in the dark. 🙄
Plus time jumps an hr a head back home. Days are getting short, wildlife will be moving around dusk.
Stay safe and stay warm

Much of the ride where?

You said "scenic route" so I assumed you were using secondary roads as much as possible. But I guess your idea of a scenic route is chugging along the main highway. When I rode to nova scotia I took highway 289 and then highway 1 into edmundston and I remember lots of moose warning signs on that road. Not a road I'd want to be on in the dark. If you rode for 15 hrs (which btw doesn't make you special, I've ridden longer in a day, as I'm sure many posters here have) then you rode a significant amount of time in the dark, considering how early it gets dark now.

Tuesday's weather is looking decent for the Trail!
Sunny & 14C , although a little breezy but sunny skies will make the scenery really pop 🤩
Just did that run two weeks ago. Really nice!
You mentioned Baddeck? If you were at the yacht club you would have likely seen the wrought-iron pirate with the parrot out at the end of the pier, lol.
Have a great ride!
Baddeck.jpg
Cabot Trail 9 2021.jpg

Scenic Route idea went out the window when I got off to a slower start for the first 3ish hours with the heavy rain, coupled with the realization that with losing daylight/an hour on the clock earlier meant that I needed to hoof it instead to make this a 1 day transit. Which to make this fit into the time I had available for this trip, I kept planning this like it was July or August, not October - shorter days foiled the scenic route idea.

Anyhow, I'm home.

Day 1, rain in the AM of course, cold as hell in the evening, but only about 30 minutes after dark thankfully by making up some time with a (*ahem*) good clip through NB. Used my typical approach to riding after dark by following large truck traffic at a comfortable distance - if something big comes across the road they're gonna eat it first, and I can stop. I do the same riding in deer country in the summer. Got to my friends house just south of Moncton all well, met with a bowl of hot soup and a nice warm fireplace which was heavenly - the last hour of the ride had been pretty damn chilly. My liner had got damp in the AM rain and I never did get that out obviously, but at my last fuel stop I layered up and cranked my heated gear to 11 and was then pretty toasty.

Day 2 was my buddy and I out to NS, headed to Baddeck for the night. Cool start to the day but sunny, but as we got closer to Cape Breton Island it was cool and *very* wind - got me and the bike covered in salt spray going across the causeway as the waves and wind were causing it to pretty much soak the road. Stayed at a nice little motel just outside downtown. Went to a pizza place in town and had crazy expensive pizza that was...OK, but a whole lot of money for what it was. Wasn't many options aside from Tim Hortons at that time of night though.

Day 3 was the Cabot, it was picture perfect all day with few exceptions. Got an early start, out on the road by 8AM or so.

1633649893713.png
Got the drone up and got some pretty awesome photos at some of the scenic pull offs.

1633649741386.png

1633649993701.png

We went at a reasonable pace and stopped and smelled the roses a little, but to stop at every single scenic outlook or little beachfront area etc etc etc....could take days to make the loop. I knew going in that wasn't the reality, as did my buddy who came along - it wasn't the first time around for him anyways. There were sections that were totally amazing of course (IE, above pics), and areas which kinda felt like any old road a few hours outside the GTA somewhere. But it was cool, no question, but in other ways, very reminiscent of the Gaspe Peninsula loop in many ways.

At around 4PM we were finishing up and we hightailed it off the island and a few hours closer to Moncton before getting a hotel again...otherwise we'd have been into 2 hours of after dark riding. And it was freakin cold again.

Yesterday I dropped my buddy off on the way back through Moncton, nice sunny and warm start but foggy as hell (with the accompanying moisture/dampness/wet pant legs lol) on the east end of the Bay of Fundy. We rode into it like a light switch, and rode out of it back out to sunny blue skies almost as quick. It was warm so the dampness dried up quickly after that. I did just under 1100km and ended up in Levis Quebec, just across the river from Quebec City. Got a room there and went out for a meh dinner. Slept like a log.

Easy day today, ~700km. Had a late start but still home for dinner.

Another checkbox on the bucket list, and some good zen time with the wind in my face.

Back
Top Bottom