Audio belt tensioning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Audio belt tensioning

bigpoppa

Was watching this guy restore ducati's its interesting and hypnotic to say the least, he seems thorough and competent, doesnt ramble on for hours, but around the 24:00 mark, he starts checking and tuning the belt tension by using an app that seems to measure resonance and sound, is this a legit technique?

seems like hogwash to me

I also felt like someone was pulling my leg the first time I heard of this

Was watching this guy restore ducati's its interesting and hypnotic to say the least, he seems thorough and competent, doesnt ramble on for hours, but around the 24:00 mark, he starts checking and tuning the belt tension by using an app that seems to measure resonance and sound, is this a legit technique?

seems like hogwash to me

Cool. Not at all hogwash. Just like tuning a guitar. You know how long the "string" is in free air so from the pitch you can calculate the tension.

Cool. Not at all hogwash. Just like tuning a guitar. You know how long the "string" is in free air so from the pitch you can calculate the tension.
Ducati only started using the running method on the newer motors. I used the 5mm allen key method for years (measures clearance) and have found out to be very reliable. Checked it with the app and it was correct. @bitzz will correct me if i am wrong. He has done more than me.

Ducati only started using the running method on the newer motors. I used the 5mm allen key method for years (measures clearance) and have found out to be very reliable. Checked it with the app and it was correct. @bitzz will correct me if i am wrong. He has done more than me.
Proper tension could be measured many ways with similar results. After watching the video, the audio method is slightly suspect as with the rotary tensioners used, changing the tension also changes the length of the string. I guess the change in length is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't come up with that method myself and call it good but if Ducati engineers signed off, I have no issues with it.

Proper tension could be measured many ways with similar results. After watching the video, the audio method is slightly suspect as with the rotary tensioners used, changing the tension also changes the length of the string. I guess the change in length is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't come up with that method myself and call it good but if Ducati engineers signed off, I have no issues with it.
It is very critical. A belt that is tensioned correctly is very tight after the motor is hot and has expanded.I never ran belt covers on my track Duc, and inspecting them after a session it was amazing how tight they were.

Ducati used to use a deflection tool to test tension before they switched to using frequency. The ghetto method was to see if you could fit a 5mm allen key between the belt and one of the pulleys.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that is the factory method of tensioning Ferrari t-belts as well. We all know Italians are known for their quality engineering.

That channel, RRC, is gold though. That guy does an unbelievable job in all of his videos.

Edit: Ferrari 360 belts, ~53 minutes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom