Apartment Parking Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apartment Parking Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50930

Any thoughts on this?

• My lease says one parking spot is free and every addition will be extra $$$. So I had a verbal agreement for over a year for an additional spot for the motorcycle, overnight visitors etc.
  • Landlord is lazy and cheap so I had to go to bylaw and the LTB to fix the apartment up. The owner decided he will take away the parking spot as retaliation
  • Fast forward this month. His office rep came by to give me an N4 but I wasn't home. So I told the visitor inside the apartment to tell them to come back when I was home. The visitor took a video of this and it turned ugly, the office rep lost her temper and started hitting the door really loudly.
  • The irony? The N4 amount is all money the landlord won't accept because he is trying to take away my parking spot.

Would the Ontario LTB deal with this issue over the extra spot? I called them and they want me to file something. BUT if my lease says one spot then is the landlord in the right taking away my other spot?

Landlord is Cacoeli (About Cacoeli)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Contracts are worth only as much as your ability to prove their existence. Good luck with that.

It may be time to move.

I'm with Brian. Once things turn ugly with a landlord, there is rarely no good way forward. Even if you did manage to win back spot #2 (which I doubt you would as it isn't guaranteed in your lease and the landlord can come up with 100 reasons why you shouldn't have it), they will be on the hunt for anything to kick you out (or make you want to leave). For instance, if you had the bike and a visitor in spot #2, they might tow both as that was a violation.

Instead of investing my time and money in a LTB battle, I would look for a better landlord (or even better, become your own landlord).

I'm with Brian. Once things turn ugly with a landlord, there is rarely no good way forward. Even if you did manage to win back spot #2 (which I doubt you would as it isn't guaranteed in your lease and the landlord can come up with 100 reasons why you shouldn't have it), they will be on the hunt for anything to kick you out (or make you want to leave). For instance, if you had the bike and a visitor in spot #2, they might tow both as that was a violation.

That's exactly what he's doing. I stayed here for a very long time so my rent payments are way below market rate. This is probably why he didn't want to fix the apartment and thought I would stop complaining or leave. Since I didn't leave, he is using the parking as a way to evict me...

Possibly not suitable for your needs, but you could buy a van and store your motorcycle inside the van ;) one space, multiple vehicles plus the added security of having your bike under cover.

Possibly not suitable for your needs, but you could buy a van and store your motorcycle inside the van ;) one space, multiple vehicles plus the added security of having your bike under cover.

I need to get a mortgage ;)

There's your problem.
If it isn't in writing, it never happened.

Curve ball..
I asked for it to be put on my monthly rent in 2020 because before it was shady cash deals with no receipts. When I saw my monthly payment for Jan.2020, he added a line that said Parking Fee - $xx.xx

Landlords........

How exactly is it worded in your lease?

These have different meaning...

“parking for one vehicle”

“one parking spot”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on both sides of this relationship
tenant and landlord
once the Board is involved the relationship is over
you need to move, no good will come from staying there
How exactly is it worded in your lease?

These have different meaning...

“parking for one vehicle”

“one parking spot”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just says one parking is free and every additional car will be x amount. It doesn't say YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED ONE CAR. ?

There's your problem.
If it isn't in writing, it never happened.

Chances are that if the OP wanted to have it in writing the manager would refuse it.
It was probably on the basis of the manager knowing that there is a vacant spot that can be used, but the OP is really not entitled to it.

the N4 tells you all you need to know
landlord wants you out
you can expect zero good will or direct negotiations
that opportunity is gone once you involved the Board

landlord likely has the means to get representation to attend the hearings
they are held during the day, so that may make it difficult for you to attend, OP

the tribunals are heavily weighted in favour of the tenant, and they will forgive a no-show
but after the second or third no show, will rule in favour of landlord

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom