Anyone fix welders? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone fix welders?

Mad Mike

I have an older Solar 2160 Mig I like for sheet metal work. It won’t strike an arc. Wire feed works, gas solenoid and cooling fan work.

I can get an arc if I disconnect the pots controlling the speed and heat. It’s full blast on feed and heat. The pots test out fine, replacements didn’t fix the problem.

I love this old welder, it’s great for body work.

I’m not great with electronics and my current welding supplier doesn’t touch old stuff. Anyone out there that dabbles in projects like this or have a contact that fixes old gear?

Dabble yes. Did you check at the control board to see if the trigger is working? Pins 1 and 2 (both black). I'm not sure how smart the control board is (looks not that smart). How did you disconnect the pots to run your test? Pulled the connector from the board? Did you test the pots at the pots or at the control board connector?

If you have not got this already there are some diagrams etc. here that may help:

I have no specific answers for you. Make sure there are no bad connections. Check voltages as listed in the diagram. Hopefully it is not a bad control circuit board.
You can get a replacement board but I wouldn't keep firing the parts cannon without a proper diagnostic first.

In and around $300 US, likely more than the welder is worth. Agreed, throwing parts at it is not the way to go. Working through the voltages on the diagrams would be the best place to start IMO, might just be a bad connection.

The board could be repairable IF it is bad and if the place the magic smoke escaped is obvious, like a resistor that looks like a well done BBQ hotdog. Looks double sided...

Dabble yes. Did you check at the control board to see if the trigger is working? Pins 1 and 2 (both black). I'm not sure how smart the control board is (looks not that smart). How did you disconnect the pots to run your test? Pulled the connector from the board? Did you test the pots at the pots or at the control board connector?
The trigger on the torch handle is working.

I tested resistance at the pots, -5K to +5K OHMS, I also replaced them with new pots - NoVa.

When I pull the POT connectors, I get a full power arc and the wire feeds WOT.

The wire feeds with POTS in place, I don't think the speed is trimming, at least I don't see it speeding up and slowing when I turn the wirefeed POT.

1715776937198.png

I just found this schematic... Ill try the noted tests

Back
Top Bottom