Any experience with Wilbers, HyperPro or YSS shocks? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any experience with Wilbers, HyperPro or YSS shocks?

smudger

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using Wilbers, HyperPro or YSS shocks on their dedicated track bikes.
I bought a high mileage K6 GSXR1000 in the fall to convert to a track bike to replace my trusty old ZX7 & one of the main items I want to upgrade or replace initially is the OEM rear shock & have the forks stripped & rebuilt before the 2017 season.
After doing research on the web & coming up with the usual Elka, Ohlins, Penske I also saw shocks from Wilbers, Hyperpro & YSS at some pretty reasonable prices.
Wilbers & HyperPro seem to have pretty good reviews in general, YSS has mixed reviews - what's your thoughts?

I have a Hyper pro front and rear in my R3. Fantastic shocks.

And a YSS Bandit 1200 shock in my Bandit 400.

They are budget, but they work and work well. HyperPro is just rebranded as RaceTech in North America they are built in the same factories.

Use whatever your suspension tuner prefers. You'll end up with a better setup quicker and save a lot of headaches.

Yea, that makes sense & I've never used a suspension tuner before as I only do track days & I'm not particularly quick at that, I'll never be quick enough to race as long as I have a hole in my a--, BUT I do enjoy my track days.
I have sent a brief e-mail to John Sherrard to get his feedback see what he'd recommend

Yea, that makes sense & I've never used a suspension tuner before as I only do track days & I'm not particularly quick at that, I'll never be quick enough to race as long as I have a hole in my a--, BUT I do enjoy my track days.
I have sent a brief e-mail to John Sherrard to get his feedback see what he'd recommend

Good call!

Doesn't matter if your fast or slow, you want your suspension to work for you, your pace, and your style. If it's not working for you it's no better than stock.

My street bike (poor old Katana 750) I have a Wilburs full adjustable. It works and can't complain about it. But no one specifically services them locally by brand (ie if parts needed etc) and just to get a different spring (because I have their preload adjuster) I found I had to order spring from the US (or Germany). I think the guy I originally bought it from (WilbursUSA) now sells HyperPro. His valving and setup I also found stiff and harsh for the street but with setting sag/spring correctly and adjusting the clickers I got it so I like it.

Track bike I have an Ohlins which I can get serviced in at least 3 GTA locations off the top of my head and that's not even counting the likes or John S or John C. Since you will service the shock each year or at least every 2 years its probably better to spend a bit more $ to get a brand supported and serviced locally.

Jeff

I have a YSS shock in my cbr125 (YSS originates in Thailand where bikes of this type are numerous). I would say it's "Decent for what it is" and "decent for the price paid" i.e. better than the stock shock which is completely non-adjustable and with insufficient spring rate and too much sag with a rider of my weight on it. The YSS shock has limited adjustability and I believe I have the compression damping on the max of 3 available positions and it's still not quite enough - but it's better than the stock shock on that bike which has zero adjustment, not even preload. As far as I can tell, there is zero local aftermarket support for these. If it ever fails, you throw it away and buy a new one (and hope the seller in Thailand ships it, and wait for it to get here).

In a "real" application I'd recommend using something that the common shops and tuners in the area are familiar with and that you can get replacement parts for. Ohlins is head and shoulders above anything else in this respect but it's also pricey. I've heard way too many complaints about Elka shocks leaking to recommend them. I have a Penske shock in one of my other street bikes and it has been good.

I have a YSS X-366 TRCL with the remote reservoir on my RZ350 race bike and can't fault it. Compression and rebound damping is really consistent, even after half an hour riding. The shock stays relatively cool. And I'm not that svelte. It has 40 clicks compression and 60 clicks rebound

It was built by Klaus at EPM for my weight and it didn't need much tweaking. I just had him rebuild/revalve it over the winter as I lost 30lbs. Its got a Hyperpro spring as he sells Hyperpro as well.

I think its a little better than the Wilbers that was on there before as I found the rebound was completely gone once the Wilbers heated up.

Its not an Ohlins but its also not 4 times the price.

If I were replacing it I would probably buy another YSS or a probably Hyperpro if I were feeling flushed.

I have a Hyperpro on my SV650 race bike and I think its a good shock. Klaus also built that one.

Last edited:
Ok so I bit the bullet & ordered a new Ohlins (SU503 S46PR1C2LS) shock for the GSXR1000 which will be set up for my weight, got it at a good price, I think.
Saw a couple of used ones & a used Penske but by the time you've paid for a spring to suit your bodyweight & a service it was just as much, if not a few $$$ more than I paid for the new Ohlins.
As for the front end I spoke with Ron at Accel Tech yesterday & I'll send the forks to them for some springs to suit my fat a-s, re-valving etc.

i have a set of yss twin shocks trcl 362 on my 1977 bultaco 370 from klaus. i am very happy with them. set up for my heft and riding.
my next choices with full adjustability with comp and reb. and preload were racetech or ohlins and they were $700 to $1500 more at the time. i could have got non adjustable ohlins for $200 more but i wanted full ajustability.
i am happy

Back
Top Bottom