Antigravity Battery Jumpstart | GTAMotorcycle.com

Antigravity Battery Jumpstart

PaisaMed

I have an antigravity battery that needs a boost. Can I jumpstart my bike from my car (ignition off)? What kind of charger do I use for this lithium battery? As a side note, these batteries are the weight of a Kleenex box and instant 8 pound weight loss over a lead acid battery!

I have a Motopower MP00207A battery tender for my Antigravity battery. You can jump start the bike with the car off. Usually it only takes a bit of charging to get the Lithium Ion batteries back up (I mean like 3-5 minutes). They are peculiar that way.

Jumpstart from what?
You do Not want to exceed the voltage capacity of that cell, that is the important consideration,
that and fire hazard!

... how about jumpstart the bike without the battery connected and then try to connect it once you are running?
Might work depending on the bike

I have an antigravity battery that needs a boost. Can I jumpstart my bike from my car (ignition off)?

Yes.

What kind of charger do I use for this lithium battery?

I'd suggest a specific Lithium battery charger instead of a common lead-acid battery charger.

Bulk charging can be done the same in both types of batteries, but once the charging reaches full capacity, the lithium battery expects the current to switch off completely, whereas most lead-acid tenders will go into float-mode. And if the tender has an equalization mode (where it overcharges a full lead-acid battery with high voltage), that will damage the lithium battery for sure.

You can, but be careful, it's not so much the battery, its the inevitable terminal ARC + unclean voltage application. I've done it a few times, but try to avoid it and charge the battery instead.

I've used a Noco genius 1100 (in lithium mode) for 7+ years on various shorai's and more recently picked up a Speedcell. The Noco seems fine on lead-acid as well (AGM and regular). The Speedcell has a quick disconnect which is handy and avoids arc'ing the terminals, overload/overdraw circuitry and some other whistles. They are spendy though. That said, LifePo4 batteries can be left sitting disconnected for a full year without a trickle charger. The Noco is a 5 yr warranty directly through Canadian Tire, which is handy and painless (one of the LED indicators died on one of my units). The packaging/exterior/design is quite nice I have to say.

For boosting a battery, this thing works quite well for led acid, although is not technically rated for lithium. Handy for boosting vehicles as well. There is a video online of a guy boosting 7 cars that have been sitting for a number of years at a junk yard in the middle of winter that seems legit. It's a fairly impressive machine:
NOCO - 1000A Lithium Jump Starter - GB40

There is an 8-gauge harness that straps directly into the battery and an adapter that allows you to use to use a trickle charger with the same harness. The nice part is you connect it, then turn it on, no arc'ing or voltage jolt to the bike's electrical system.

I've never bothered with manufacturer specific lithium trickle chargers. They are overpriced, with crappy proprietary connectors, often bulky chargers, and frankly at low current rates no different than you're stator doing the charging. Just don't overcharge the battery using a regular lead-acid charger. Given cell balancing is not a specific operational requirement for standard use (only when trickle charging), and the fact these cells should not need external charging if disconnected, I don't see the value.

I've also never seen a independently verifiable engineering test that proves a cell balance charger adds more in longevity than it's cost. If anyone has I'd be legitimately interested in reading it.

lol if they are half the size and weight of the lead acid they are replacing, maybe you should just carry 2 of them.
(y) problem solved.

... how about jumpstart the bike without the battery connected and then try to connect it once you are running?
Might work depending on the bike

NEVER DO THIS. Never run the bike with the battery disconnected. The regulator loses reference to ground and the voltage spikes, taking out all your expensive electronics.
... back in the days of points and generators you could do this. NO LONGER.

OP: You are better off charging the battery, then starting the bike. Boosting should be a last resort. The charging system on your bike, or car, or truck, or bus... was NOT designed to charge a dead battery.

NEVER DO THIS. Never run the bike with the battery disconnected. The regulator loses reference to ground and the voltage spikes, taking out all your expensive electronics.
... back in the days of points and generators you could do this. NO LONGER.

OP: You are better off charging the battery, then starting the bike. Boosting should be a last resort. The charging system on your bike, or car, or truck, or bus... was NOT designed to charge a dead battery.
You are absolutely correct,
but if everything you said was correct then having a momentary short to your battery when it is running would destroy your modern motorcycle, is that true?

Thanks for all the input! However, I have much bigger problemos....it seems that my immobilizer has been triggered and I can't start my bike. I'm not looking forward to that eventual service call to gp Bikes! Lol

Back
Top Bottom