Another first accident... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another first accident...

You are good to go.

I would call the witness and confirm the story (so you don't get any surprises) and let them know you are making a claim with your company and they may be contacted. No collision centre needed i guess since there was no contact.

Good luck!
You think I have grounds to make a claim with insurance?
I guess under the No-Contact rule he shown negligence? Failure to exercise reasonable care when making that left-turn from that lane even though he did signal?

You think I have grounds to make a claim with insurance?
I guess under the No-Contact rule he shown negligence? Failure to exercise reasonable care when making that left-turn from that lane even though he did signal?
If i had a witness who said i dumped my bike while avoiding such an accident i would. You had right of way and he had no business making that left turn, signal or not.

I would be careful how i explained it to insurance, but i would still call.

Guy in middle lane cut in front of me trying to make an illegal left turn, i braked hard to avoid hitting his car and my front wheel washed out causing me and the bike to slide along the ground. Damage to bike and myself. Witness who confirms i have right of way at time of accident and other driver did not obey road rules.

That being said, nothing is 100% for sure and you may be rolling the dice. I imagine you could still cancel the claim if you found out they were going to lay any blame at your feet.

Maybe feel out what the witness remembers and go from there.

I wouldn't take armchair forum advice on insurance fault. It's not always black and white when there is no investigation and no charges, they use a situation book to assess fault, it can be shared between drivers so both of you have an at-fault hit to your record. Never assume that the other driver is 100% at fault unless he delivers that admission to you in writing.

I wouldn't take armchair forum advice on insurance fault. It's not always black and white when there is no investigation and no charges, they use a situation book to assess fault, it can be shared between drivers so both of you have an at-fault hit to your record. Never assume that the other driver is 100% at fault unless he delivers that admission to you in writing.
Left Turner, not at an intersection, no investigation, no police report, just my word and the witness behind me. Other guy found 100% at fault, i didn't lose a wink of sleep making that claim. ?

As stated...AFAIK, no contact would put you at fault for a single vehicle accident. If you had T-boned him, he would be at fault for making an improper left turn. Had a similar situation decades ago. Guy pulled from a parked position to make a U turn just as I was passing. Fortunately there were witnesses coming off the bus and saw the whole thing. T-boned and dropped bike. Fortunately I was already slowing for the upcoming intersection, so just hopped off as the hit happened.

At this point, learn from it and fix it yourself.

A friend of mine years ago lost control on an off ramp of the 401 at about midnite.Passerby found him in tall grass near his bike in the early morning unable to move with a broken back (no recall of the events).He was taken to the local hospital where the nurse on his unit happened to be his girlfriend. (yikes) The next day police arrived at his bedside and handed him a careless driving ticket.True story.

If you penalize someone for using the service they pay for, they wont use said service.
The only real reason to get insurance in ontario is to not break the law.

Not to get coverage in case something bad happens.

Thing is, collision probably makes up a comparatively small percentage of the total premium. You can elect to forego collision and comprehensive and save a few bucks but you won't make a huge dent in the premium because SABs -- accident benefits -- is the high-dollar line-item.

And even if they weren't statutory, one would have to be crazy to undertake motorcycle riding without a decent AB package on their insurance.

A friend of mine years ago lost control on an off ramp of the 401 at about midnite.Passerby found him in tall grass near his bike in the early morning unable to move with a broken back (no recall of the events).He was taken to the local hospital where the nurse on his unit happened to be his girlfriend. (yikes) The next day police arrived at his bedside and handed him a careless driving ticket.True story.
Did he spit on the cop?
Did your friend ever recover? Is he riding now?

Glad to hear that you're o.k.

When you get back riding, practice your braking.
If you and the bike both slid to a stop before hitting the car, then you should have been able to safely stop upright.
Perhaps, look into ABS for your next bike.

Glad you're okay all things considered.

Was going to mention what Baggsy did, especially if this is the second time you've had similar outcomes. I'd practice your emergency braking techniques in a parking lot for a bit. More practice should help you bring the bike to a stop with the rubber side still down.

I know it's contrary to what you're suppose to do on the street, but if the bike is non-ABS I find using more rear brake in an emergency situation works best when at mid to low speeds and going straight. I've found that locking the rear wheel makes it less likely you're going to go over the bars when you're grabbing a handful of front brake, helps unload the nose dive to prevent the front from washing out under you, and allows you to change the direction of the bike to avoid impact or brace for impact. It's always been my instinctive method (from starting off on dirtbikes) and has worked well for me. It can also get you into a lot of trouble if done wrong so maybe you should disregard everything I've said in this last paragraph. LOL.

I'd say that cross walk had a role. Slippery suckers and with heavy braking the front wheel will wash out suddenly. ABS would certainly have helped.

If you and the bike both slid to a stop before hitting the car, then you should have been able to safely stop upright.
Perhaps, look into ABS for your next bike.

Yes

Krime ...using both brakes is critical and without ABS essential to threshold brake and maintain directional control ...the rear brake stabilizes the motorcycle directionally as well as adds stopping power.

OP - glad you are okay
Passing on the left always carries risk - now you know....
Painted lines are treacherous.
Stick with the bike upright ,...don't "lay er down" ....you need to use the brakes and suspension and in the worst case of a Tbone the crush zone the front end of the motorcycle provides.

Oh yeah ...get some time on dirt and gravel surfaces ( not mud or sand ) so you understand how your bike behaves on uncertain surfaces and cautiously practice braking with both brakes off pavement.
It will feel squirmy and uncertain with street tires but gradually you will gain confidence and feel in control. I use to dread steel grating bridges. They still make me cautious in the wet but I know the bike will find its way across without me having a death grip on the bars.

Also get back on the bike and don't over think this .....**** happens.

Last edited:
Krime ...using both brakes is critical and without ABS essential to threshold brake and maintain directional control ...the rear brake stabilizes the motorcycle directionally as well as adds stopping power.

Oops, realizing I might not have been clear, definitely use the front brake! I meant to say that I find being more heavy on the rear brake than normal (as in not afraid to lock it up) can be helpful and can give you more options in terms of altering your direction. But yes, this is not something I should be promoting.

Should have called the cops, have a charge laid against the driver because he violated your right of way.

Reactions: J_F
Like a car, bike brakes behave the same.
The more front brake you use, the lighter the rear end gets. Stomp on car brakes, you get smashed forwards, which is why front brakes always wear out first. They have more power as all the weight is transferring to the front wheels driving them into the pavement.

Or like a fat and skinny kid on a teeter-totter. The more the fat kid (front brake) sits down, the less contact with the ground the skinny kid (rear brake) gets.

Sport bikes get about 99% braking ability from front brake alone. Cruisers about 70%f / 30%r due to extreme weights difference to SS.

Back
Top Bottom