Aftermarket Fender Eliminator Turn Signal Bulb/Housing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket Fender Eliminator Turn Signal Bulb/Housing

Aznkid2000

Wondering if anyone can help, the previous owner installed an aftermarket fender eliminator with the turn signals to the bike. So with the nice weather i been riding and found out that the housing came off and the bulb is burnt.

Now i am sure i can find the bulb a replacement bulb from Canadian Tire or something but not sure about the cover/housing? Would a generic one fit?

I'll take some pictures and upload it later.

You mean the lens (orange/clear) came off?

Those will be specific to the turn signal in question. There is no such thing as a "generic" turn signal lens. There are hundreds of different designs - although some (whether OEM or aftermarket) have been used on multiple bikes. Without a picture, there is no telling what you have. If there is any hint of a manufacturer name or part number on the turn signal housing, that would help. If the fender eliminator itself has a manufacturer name or part number somewhere, that would help.

The bulb is probably a standard interchangeable one ... although there is no guarantee of that. Take the bulb to Canadian Tire and try to match it up.

One of the bad things about buying a bike that has been customised, is that replacement parts might not be so easy to find ... and if there is anything modified that involves electricity, there is a pretty darn good chance that whoever installed the wiring, butchered it. Happens all the time. Wires twisted together and electrical tape wrapped over them does not make a good and durable connection. Good luck.

Worst case ... you have to buy a new set of turn signals.

The pick isn't great, but based on the corrosion and rough plastic molding of that's left those look like inexpensive universal aftermarket signals. You can pick similar bolt on replacements at Amazon .ca for $10 - $20.
You might also need to replace the flasher relay with one designed to work with LEDs. Modern LED signals draw less power, sometimes too little to excite your flasher.

The pick isn't great, but based on the corrosion and rough plastic molding of that's left those look like inexpensive universal aftermarket signals. You can pick similar bolt on replacements at Amazon .ca for $10 - $20.
View attachment 40005
You might also need to replace the flasher relay with one designed to work with LEDs. Modern LED signals draw less power, sometimes too little to excite your flasher.

Sorry i am mechanically challenged, so from what i am understanding i can just replace the turn signals without having to remove the whole fender eliminator?

I have a 2009 shouldn't be a problem?

Sorry i am mechanically challenged, so from what i am understanding i can just replace the turn signals without having to remove the whole fender eliminator?

I have a 2009 shouldn't be a problem?

See how the photo above has a threaded end with a nut that has been inserted over the wires (the wires are routed through the nut, and through a hole in the fender which isn't shown in that photo because it isn't part of the turn signal itself, and then the nut is tightened to hold the turn signal housing in place)?

Take a look up underneath what you have now, to see if it is done the same way. If it is, then you can replace both signals with new ones like what's shown in the photo above. You will probably have to replace both if you want it to look right unless you just happen to find one that is exactly identical to what you have.

The next issue will be the electrical connector. Chances are, the connector on your bike won't be the same as what comes with those turn signals. There is a good chance that the turn signals ship with bare wires and you are expected to deal with the electrical connector. Or, the connector the signals ship with isn't the same as what's on your bike. This is a very common area to be butchered, by people who don't know what they are doing.

If you are self-admitted mechanically challenged, this might be a job best left to someone who does know what they are doing.

Going back to stock is not a terrible idea, especially if you can find the parts used.

See how the photo above has a threaded end with a nut that has been inserted over the wires (the wires are routed through the nut, and through a hole in the fender which isn't shown in that photo because it isn't part of the turn signal itself, and then the nut is tightened to hold the turn signal housing in place)?

Take a look up underneath what you have now, to see if it is done the same way. If it is, then you can replace both signals with new ones like what's shown in the photo above. You will probably have to replace both if you want it to look right unless you just happen to find one that is exactly identical to what you have.

The next issue will be the electrical connector. Chances are, the connector on your bike won't be the same as what comes with those turn signals. There is a good chance that the turn signals ship with bare wires and you are expected to deal with the electrical connector. Or, the connector the signals ship with isn't the same as what's on your bike. This is a very common area to be butchered, by people who don't know what they are doing.

If you are self-admitted mechanically challenged, this might be a job best left to someone who does know what they are doing.

Going back to stock is not a terrible idea, especially if you can find the parts used.

Thank you! i understood what you meant now.

Any recommendation for replacements? I am probably going to get it off amazon and bring it in to mechanic for tire change.

If you are not technically competent, bring the bike to a suitable workshop and let THEM obtain the proper turn signals and install them. One stop shopping, "This is broken, how much to fix it, OK go ahead". One stop shopping. That way you don't end up buying something that won't fit or work for whatever reason and thus end up paying twice. There is a fair chance that the better motorcycle shops will have something in stock that will work. It's not worth trying to save $3 on this.

If you are not technically competent, bring the bike to a suitable workshop and let THEM obtain the proper turn signals and install them. One stop shopping, "This is broken, how much to fix it, OK go ahead". One stop shopping. That way you don't end up buying something that won't fit or work for whatever reason and thus end up paying twice. There is a fair chance that the better motorcycle shops will have something in stock that will work. It's not worth trying to save $3 on this.

+1 does Ted count?

Back
Top Bottom