Advice for someone new to offroad motorcycling | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice for someone new to offroad motorcycling

Farook

Hello everyone, hear is my story
years ago I got an xt350, it fell down more times than it was up and I could not kick start it very well as I'm short. 5'5
then I got raid of that and got the cbf1000. I still have that.
now I was looking for something like the bmwg310gs to do a little of both road and trails, (I don't know how to ride on trails) yet

hear is my question:

dose anyone think its better to get a cheep Chinese dirt bike to learn trail riding on or get get the gs and us it for both on and off road.

my goal is to be confident enough off road to where dirt mud gravel will not faze me and to travel long distances and not be afraid to encounter the "bad road" or less traveled mud gravel trail to my destination

thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

It's hard to get a vehicle that costs more per km than a "cheap" chinese dirtbike. They are hard to get parts for and even harder to find someone willing to touch them. Do yourself a favor and buy a name brand bike.

For learning, something like trail tours lets you try a number of different bikes and get instruction to find something that fits your skill and desires.

IMO skills and experience is way more important than equipment, so I personally always look for a place to learn before anything..
Have you tried Trail Tours – Dirtbike and ATV School ?
I've been taking their day course religiously every year, sometimes twice a year,,, it's been 15 years now, still not a real dirt rider but I know I learned a lot there... And it's always better to experiment and crush not your own bike ;)

If you want to learn some off road a new bike would be a poor choice. You're most likely to drop a few times. I usually drop my bike when riding in the bush and I've been at it for a while.

I wouldn't bother with a cheap Chinese (or other) pile of crap for the reason stated above, nor would I buy a BMW GS310 with the intention of taking it off road. It's not a dual sport, let alone an off road capable bike.

If your primary goal is riding skill development go to Clinton Smout's school. You couldn't do better. SMART Adventures NEW

If you want a bit of solid instruction, and then some good experience trying your hand at off road riding then Trail Tours is the ticket. Trail Tours – Dirtbike and ATV School

If you feel you absolutely must buy something (I certainly understand the feeling) get a Honda CRF230L or a 250 if it's not too tall and have at it.

Get a cheap Japanese dirt bike to practice with for a while before trying to ride off-road on a adventure bike. You will probably get back whatever you pay for it when your done. At 375lbs the 310gs is a lot of bike for a new off road rider to get around.

Look into the OFTR (mostly simcoe county forest) and Ganaraska forest for riding areas and requirements.

As mentioned, taking a course with the school's bike is the best way to dip your toe in the waters. You also get to assess your skill level after the first day and that will determine the kind of dirt bike you buy as your first bike.

IMO, the three most important criteria for a beginner dirt bike are: weight, power and seat height.

Your learning curve will be much faster on a light-weight bike that you can confidently reach the ground with both feet (or tip-toes, more likely), and with a throttle response that you can be a little ham-fisted with, as opposed to being scared of twisting the throttle because it's too powerful.

You can lean and counterweight a lighter bike much more easily. It is more nimble in the tighter tracks, won't get bogged down in the loose and gnarly stuff, and if you drop it often, it won't sap your energy having to pick it up over and over again.

As you get better, you can go up in terms of power and physical size of the bike, as well as look for upgraded suspension. As for weight, lighter is always better, no matter how skilled you are.

"I wish my bike was heavier", said no dirt bike rider. Ever.

Yep. A light motorcycle to begin with.
Dose anyone think there is enough internet instruction out there to learn on. I know ultimately it just get down to get on a bike and ride it.

Last edited:
+1000 on a light, dedicated dirt bike.

For internet instruction, start with these guys. Lots of good information in here, along with plenty of humour and humility:

The small practical wheelie is a very useful skill to build if you're riding in the woods. You'll use it all the time to loft the front wheel over logs, sticks, rocks, ruts, mud puddles, chipmunks, etc...

Stand on the pegs as much as you can. If you're too tired to stand on the pegs while riding, it's time to stop and take a break.

Last edited:
thanks for the above websites. I'll be 55 this year so just looking at that makes my body ache.. lol.
thanks though

Yep. A light motorcycle to begin with.
Dose anyone think there is enough internet instruction out there to learn on. I know ultimately it just get down to get on a bike and ride it.
No, internet "instruction" isn't going to do you any good, in my opinion. At best it could increase your enthusiasm, at worst it could discourage you or scare you away completely.
You'd be better off spending the (wasted) hours on youtube out riding the motorcycle, a bicycle or participating in the riding school or trail tour. Riding a mountain bike over an easy trail while standing will give you more information about control on a dirt bike than any self-described youtube expert/hero.

Perhaps even trying out a beginner trials school would be worth your while.

As Lightcycle said, a light, capable bike on which you can put your feet on the ground is ideal. With such a machine you can explore/experience the concepts necessary for safe and fun operation.

For your size, age, and requirements; my suggestion would be to keep your street bike and buy a tw200 for trails, dirt roads, and in-town shenanigans.

Tw is low to the ground. Its a little mountain goat. Not fast, but it's a confidence inspiring little tractor.

Check out the Fortnine video on YouTube about the t-dub.

I ran one for 16,000km street and trail. It was an ex school bike. Beat to hell. Never missed a beat.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

tw200 the "ol mans bike" lol. just kidding I'll look into it. thanks

agreeded
Think of it as a stepping stone.

Its low to the ground, easy to ride, and sure footed.

Best of all, nearly indestructible.

For your size, age, and requirements; my suggestion would be to keep your street bike and buy a tw200 for trails, dirt roads, and in-town shenanigans.

Tw is low to the ground. Its a little mountain goat. Not fast, but it's a confidence inspiring little tractor.

Check out the Fortnine video on YouTube about the t-dub.

I ran one for 16,000km street and trail. It was an ex school bike. Beat to hell. Never missed a beat.

I rode one from 08-'13, lovd it for around town and playing at the cottage. Not sure if you can still get a kick start kit for them, I had that.

I wouldn’t get a dual sport to ride trails unless I had to. Bikes get dropped on trails a lot unless the trails are nearly perfect or you are an amazing rider. It’s the nature of the beast.

Between picking up a heavier dual sport, and fixing or replacing mirrors, turn signals and the like, I think I could go crazy.

Back
Top Bottom