**** adv, get a scrambler! | GTAMotorcycle.com

**** adv, get a scrambler!

bigpoppa

Pretty capable machines those scramblers!
wondering what your thoughts are @Iceman ?

Last edited:
You can ADV on any motorcycle, it's just that ADV or Enduros have more features that make the ride easier and more comfortable.

The video already touched on the inadequacies of both Scramblers WRT weight, protection, suspension travel and clearance, but what I noticed is that the one thing that makes these Scramblers good for off-road is standard seating position. You can stand up on the pegs and move your weight sideways and backwards and forwards for balance and traction. Having said that, the seats are way too low, making the transition from seated (when you're sliding around corners) to getting back on the pegs more arduous and harder on the knees than if your seated position was higher to begin with. Also having the bulk of the motorcycle between your thighs when you're up on the pegs instead of below your knees makes maneuvering the bikes with your body weight a lot easier.

Also, the tight spacing between the wheels and street fenders collected so much mud! For me, one of the key things that indicate that a motorcycle is serious about it's dirt-intentions is the fender. Dirt bike fenders are high off the wheel so mud and dirt have a chance to clear the tire. Street fenders are close to the wheel for aerodynamics.

A 21" front wheel would have been nice too, but a lot of ADV bikes split the difference with a 19", which the Triumph does. The Ducati makes a half-hearted effort at 18"...

Scrambler is more of a style thing rather than a class of bike - I look at them thru the same lens as a bobber or ratbike.

Take a standard, dress it with adv tires, run the exhaust above the footpegs and voila! Scrambler. Below is the samein scrambler day trim, then post race trim (still sporting scrambler tires - number plates off, headlight on).

mq1.jpgos2.jpg

I think they're cool town bikes, likely fun on any backroad and even gravel if you're inclined. I think I'd rather not run one where I'd take a klr or Africa twin etc.
My versys was full of adv styling, it was not an offroad capable bike.
For an adv/offroad noob, I'd recommend used and cheap. It will be dropped lol.
Think klr, dr650. You want "character" and power. You've got the in your ktm. The "character" offroad is the ride, the trail, etc. It doesn't take big power or Italian styling to lip a crest just right and wheelie the whole downhill. I've had more fun than you can imagine on a clapped out 125.
Get something cheap so you won't mind throwing it in a mud hole and try a season.
You know you want to.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

... get a big scrambler and play imagine what I could do if I had a real dirt bike.

1967 Bultaco Pursing MK2 250 Scrambler
Bultaco-Pursang-MK2-Scrambler.jpg

Last edited:
Spoke to the wife, I told her its a great way to get in shape, she didnt seem opposed to the idea of a dirt/dualsport/adv bike
Now to see if I have room anywhere to keep it...:unsure:

? that won't get you in shape it has a seat

Back
Top Bottom