A trip write up (sort of) and a technical question | GTAMotorcycle.com

A trip write up (sort of) and a technical question

jeff96

I have a bunch of pictures from my trip up to James Bay and I put them into a slideshow so that I could put captions and comments in. The comments hid the pictures, so I animated the text so that it would fade out when you clicked on it. I thought that it would convert into a web friendly presentation that could be viewed in a browser, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried the .ppt and .pptx extension, and neither translates into google slides. Am I missing something obvious here? Anyway here's a presentation on my trip. I you have technical suggestions, they are welcome, otherwise, enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xD2X9KeTpsY35T6q7URhg6KvCF4nYgJX/view?usp=sharing

Looks like an adventure for sure. I will have to add this to the list of routes to do in Canada. The Trans Taiga looks tempting but it seems the main issue is fuel supply and the gravel.

Not sure what the issue with the powerpoint is. I downloaded it and the text still overshadows the pictures, but it does fade out on most of them.

This is how to convert it to a google slides presentation:
Convert Office files to Google files (Office not required)

1. Open Docs, Sheets, or Slides and start a new document, spreadsheet, or presentation.
  2. Click File > Import.
  3. Choose your Office file and click Select. Your Office file automatically saves as a Docs, Sheets, or Slides file.
  4. (Optional) To save your document again as an Office file, click File > Download as > Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft Excel (.xlsx), or Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx).

great show ty.

especially like the pic of the river behind you "when lost". looking in the background there is a beautiful pool in the river to cast a line in; please tell me you had a fishin rod! I would go nuts if I didn't get to try that pool out. lol

At the end you mention black flies and thermacell - what is thermacell? Do you mean "no see um mesh" ?

@N3WMAN yes, downloading it and viewing on the computer makes it work as expected. For some reason, I get an error when I try to open it in google docs. The gravel on the North Road could be a little scary, but as long as I kept the speed down on the loose stuff, it was fine, and I really enjoyed it. People seem to have crashes every year, but when you read the accounts carefully, I've usually gotten the impression that speed was the main cause. I would say anyone could do the same trip with just about any bike with time and patience. The James Bay Highway requires a little extra fuel for many bikes, but otherwise isn't a big technical challenge.
Fuel is an issue for sure. I've got a big collection Tim Horton's coffee urn bags that have a reputation of making excellent fuel bladders.
@boyoboy yeah, no I didn't have fishing equipment. The blackflies were so thick that for the most part, I was riding or in the tent. I practically bathed in deet, but it was just seasoning for the little b_____ds.
A thermacell is a butane powered device, kind of like a high tech mosquito coil. Some guys had one at the campground in Radisson, and it was a relief to hang out with them.

great show ty.

especially like the pic of the river behind you "when lost". looking in the background there is a beautiful pool in the river to cast a line in; please tell me you had a fishin rod! I would go nuts if I didn't get to try that pool out. lol

At the end you mention black flies and thermacell - what is thermacell? Do you mean "no see um mesh" ?
Thermacell works quite well if there is not much wind (or you can block the wind). There are a few different sized units, but all use butane and and chemical pad to drive away the mosquitos. There isnt much smell for us, certainly much less smelly than something like citronella.

Back
Top Bottom