62 mph in a 45 mph zone in Virginia | GTAMotorcycle.com

62 mph in a 45 mph zone in Virginia

shoe

Site Supporter
I'm currently travelling and internet sucks but anyway.
I got nailed as the thread title says.
I looked it up, Virginia IS a reciprical state.

Flames? Advice? Suggestions?

Leaving town in the AM.

Interesting although it says that it's reciprocal suspension agreement.

Does that mean that only counts if my license is suspended?

There's a hotline # to call on my ticket. It's going to cost me time but I may have to hang in this town later and talk to a court clerk.

Thanks for the post. I think I'll just pay it off and hope my broker, who is on this board won't notice.

Thanks for the post. I think I'll just pay it off and hope my broker, who is on this board won't notice.
Your insurance company won't care as long as it does not appear on your driving record. As long as you don't default on the fine, WV won't have cause to issue a local suspension order of your license in WV and subsequently request a reciprocal suspension order of your license in Ontario. Without that reciprocal license suspension request, there will be nothing of record to appear on your driving record.

-cough- thanks TD. -cough-

That's what I gathered from the thread silverbullet132 posted but I just wanted to make sure.
I noticed that the cop listed the wrong year on my bike and my 'race' and hair colour is wrong.
My hair is currently dyed but he got it wrong from the dyed colour and the colour listed on my license.

Looked around on the net. Doesn't seem to be any paralegals here, just lawyers.

Hey shoe, missed ya at BB this week and then mikbusa told me you were going to Deal's Gap lol. I shook my fist in jealousy....and then he told me there was lots of rain so I'm good haha.

How much is the fine? If you haven't done so already, I would definitely talk to a court clerk there or at least call the hotline you mentioned.

Interesting although it says that it's reciprocal suspension agreement.

Does that mean that only counts if my license is suspended?

There's a hotline # to call on my ticket. It's going to cost me time but I may have to hang in this town later and talk to a court clerk.

That's suspension for non payment of fines.

Hey shoe, missed ya at BB this week and then mikbusa told me you were going to Deal's Gap lol. I shook my fist in jealousy....and then he told me there was lots of rain so I'm good haha.

How much is the fine? If you haven't done so already, I would definitely talk to a court clerk there or at least call the hotline you mentioned.

I didn't bother talking to a clerk. I just skipped town. Since according to GTAM, they won't rat me out if I pay the tax, I'll just fork it over and move on. I had tried Googling paralegals in that town but all I was coming up with is "Lawyers".

I figure it's cheaper and easier to pay the fine and move on rather than get tied up with a lawyer who knows he has me by the 'nads because I'm Canadian.

I called the hotline and all it talks about is payment options.
That's all this was really about I think.

As soon as they were done with me, the backup officer (there was an issue and they thought I was wanted on some charge). Nailed another car within seconds of pulling away.

I don't think it was that kind of car. I think it was a Charger or Challenger. Damn fast the way he took off from a standstill.

Jesus. He not only got my bike year wrong, he spelled my last name incorrectly, hair colour as brown, not black or green (as it is currently coloured) and my race as white but I'm not sure if that's an american thing as online it says "white (non-hispanic)".

Anyway, the fine is $172.64. Cheaper than my last paralegal (who lost by the way) and at this point, my only concern is insurance.

Traffic_Enforcement.jpg

That's suspension for non payment of fines.

So just to be sure. If I pay this off, ONT won't find out?
There's enough loopholes on my ticket to fight but I'm not going to waste the money/stress to do it if I can just pay their tax and be done with it.

Note: I'm back home now.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/demerit.shtml

Demerit Points for Out-of-Province Convictions
Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

I don't see Virginia there so. I guess I'll pay the tax. I just wanted to be rock solid sure before doing so as it'll just give my insurance companies (car and bike) reason to rape me. I currently pay more in insurance on my car than it's value!

Gotta love Ontario.

BTW... Turbo. I'm surprised you didn't say, "Nice catch!"

BTW... Turbo. I'm surprised you didn't say, "Nice catch!"

20+ mph over in Virginia would have merited a "nice catch".

Check it out. See what you might have faced had you been caught doing just 3 mph or 5 kmph more. Hint, it starts with `reckless`and ends with `driving`.

Caption to a photo I posted on FB:
First time being nailed on the bike. My cherry was popped by a nice American local officer.

Comment from someone (american)
jus be careful, OUR U.S. cops are ...HOLES!!! I KNOW IT SOUNDS SLOWWW, but jjus go 5over... be careful...

My reply:
Cop said if I was 3mph faster - 20 over, he WOULD have put me in jail.
I was tired and I had just unloaded the bike in the motel and was going for food. Was the first time I actually did that. Normally I'd grab food and go back/unload/eat etc... so this was the first time in a few days I was on the bike without the weight. It just took off.

To make matters worse they held me pretty long and he called for backup.
He explained after that my name came up as being wanted in Ont.
Upon verification, the DOB was different.

Last edited:
West Virginia is the poorest state I have ever visited. If you don't mine coal, you don't do anything. They count on fines as tax collection. In many towns, they will ticket you as high as $150 for a mere 2 mph over the limit.

Montgomery County Sheriff's Department car shown in the picture has "Virginia" plates.

Yeah, I was in Virginia.

Christiansburg, Montgomery County.

The cop has a decent home actually.
IS17q5moog6eqar.jpg

Beds: 3
Baths: 2.5
Sqft: 1,940
Lot: --
Type: Single Family
Year built: 2005

Estimated value: $232 200
Wytheville, VA

I can confirm. As long as it's not in MI, or NY, as long as you pay the fine, your golden.

Thanks for your help folks. I paid their tax online today.

It was a great help to get some quick info while I was on the road with my crappy motel WIFI and it helped give me some ease/saved me the time and hassle of going down to the courthouse and trying to deal with it. While I was still in that town.

I'm thinking of framing my ticket - US tickets are pretty big. Another souvenir from my trip. haha

Thanks again.

Shoe

Back
Top Bottom